CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Slow the whole class down to 8.0s? How much weight wouldit take to slow P/S down that slow?
Not slow it down. Put the Factory Shoot out motor in a PS chassis and I think they'll be close. I think they're pushing 14-1500 horsepower now if I heard right on All Access. Plus you can probably spin the blowers a little more or slow down as needed. Not sure what a 500 inch motor makes - or if anyone would tell you.
Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxexpress View Post
Not slow it down. Put the Factory Shoot out motor in a PS chassis and I think they'll be close. I think they're pushing 14-1500 horsepower now if I heard right on All Access. Plus you can probably spin the blowers a little more or slow down as needed. Not sure what a 500 inch motor makes - or if anyone would tell you.
I've thought this for a long time.

Current Pro Stock car minus 500" engine

Plus

Factory Stock Engine

I bet it'd be real close considering a PS car is 1200lbs lighter and the FS cars are only running 3 speeds. And every brand has a chance to win in FS.

Who cares?
Old 08-02-2018

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Slow the whole class down to 8.0s? How much weight wouldit take to slow P/S down that slow?
Remember, the Showdown cars must weigh 3650 lbs including the driver and they must use 9 inch wide Stocker tires because technically; they still are Stockers. Take weight off of them, allow any tire, as in Super Stock, and allow engine modifications as in Pro Stock, and they would probably be competitive in Pro Stock. The top of the line Showdown cars (Welch, Pritchett, Turk, Johnson, Pawuk, Watson, Holbrook, Barton, Bell) are making in the neighborhood of 1200HP in Stock trim, which isn't that far from what a top of the line Pro Stock car makes.
Old 08-02-2018

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxexpress View Post
I think 1400 - 1500HP too high; from the conversations that I have had, right around 1200 is realistic.
Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post
I've thought this for a long time.

Current Pro Stock car minus 500" engine

Plus

Factory Stock Engine

I bet it'd be real close considering a PS car is 1200lbs lighter and the FS cars are only running 3 speeds. And every brand has a chance to win in FS.
It'swhat I've been proposing for quite a while now. Plus it woud bring the class closer to Stock that what's being raced now.
Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
Remember, the Showdown cars must weigh 3650 lbs including the driver and they must use 9 inch wide Stocker tires because technically; they still are Stockers. Take weight off of them, allow any tire, as in Super Stock, and allow engine modifications as in Pro Stock, and they would probably be competitive in Pro Stock. The top of the line Showdown cars (Welch, Pritchett, Turk, Johnson, Pawuk, Watson, Holbrook, Barton, Bell) are making in the neighborhood of 1200HP in Stock trim, which isn't that far from what a top of the line Pro Stock car makes.
All things equal, the weight savings a lone would have them in the 6.80s.

Who cares?
Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
I think 1400 - 1500HP too high; from the conversations that I have had, right around 1200 is realistic.
The pro stock engines I have been around on the dyno were 1470-1490. My 457ci comp engine ( 500" pro stock engine destroked) makes 1310.. And it has junk heads. 1200 hp is not going to run 6.50's...
Old 08-03-2018

On carbs our stuff would peak day in and day out 1470-1480
On efi peaks are day in and day out 1440-1450
Difference in averages between the two from 8500-10200 is about 8 as of today.

Been told from few reliable sources just over 1200 on a showdown engine. But also been told they make well over 1000 ft lbs where efi 500 is 820 ft lbs. The torque deal sounds very reasaonble cause I have a procharged ls3 that makes 980ft lbs.

Still having hard time seeing this mmps going to work. Your about to ask guys who clearly had a choice to do that or come 500 inch racing any way, to slow there stuff down become full time racers. They run different tires different fuel as well they having to switch that. We get told what to do they get to tell them what to do. Iím raising the bull**** flag on all this. I will say I know whoís fueling the fire on this and isnít nothing but a person trying to gain advantage. I will also say there is something coming and we will know details at Indy. Had to ask around to find that out.
Old 08-03-2018

Jumping in late here....

I agree with McGaha, although at the same time, I wouldn't be against NHRA allowing the mountain motors if they go that direction based on the PSMM idea being better doing than nothing. That said, my preference would be wholesale change to PS.....In my opinion, l think the way to get PS back in to some of the limelight with the fans and also get the Ford and Chryser marketing execs interested again is to go with factory spec bodied vehicles +/- an inch or two, measured with templates, so the teams/chassis builder can play a little. Make-up for aero differences between body styles in the wind tunnel like NASCAR does with more/less aero drag (ie. wickerbill height). This class should be for Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers. Also, how about allowing engines with blowers based on current factory architecture and also lets have modified factory fuel injection? Ford/Chrysler/Chevy all ALREADY have the parts in production for their factory vehicles and/or in their performance parts catalogs. Give those rules to the racers and let them get creative. It would be like the NHRA Stock Showdown on steroids. Cars like the above could still easily run 6-second quarter mile times. Bring some of the "Stock" back to Pro Stock!!! Yes, the above changes would basically make all the current PS equipment obsolete, but the change could be phased in over a period of years to help ease the pain...for example, give the teams a full season of lead time to get the next season's chassis(s) up and running. Then another full season to phase in factory fuel injection, season after that - the motor. I mean, don't the top level teams cycle through chassis and engines over the span of two - three - four seasons anyway? So it seems feasible to replace the old stuff with parts that would meet new rules.

All that said, I am not a Pro Stock racer, so I'm sure it would all be a lot harder than I think. But ****, it sure would make the class more interesting to the average fan versus catering to the Pro Stock aficionados.
Old 08-03-2018

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp 670 View Post
The pro stock engines I have been around on the dyno were 1470-1490. My 457ci comp engine ( 500" pro stock engine destroked) makes 1310.. And it has junk heads. 1200 hp is not going to run 6.50's...
I agree 1200HP will not run 6.50s. In my post, I said to allow the same modifications to the Showdown engines that are allowed in Pro Stock engines. Wouldn't those modifications bring the power up to 1470 - 1490?