CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 08-30-2017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintownterror View Post
All of their info, setups, tunes, are based off U.S. 1000' info. Not too hard to understand. Be the sole TF'er in the world working on a 1320 program, hurting parts or join everyone else and not.

All pro classes should be 1000'. I'm sorry but at this point they should.
That's what I mean. The TF racers want this and with FIA European TF also 1000 ft it really makes no sense for the Aussie's to stay 1/4 as they would be the only ones. But I don't think "all" pro classes are necessary, just the nitro cars.
Old 08-31-2017

Somewhat interesting is that for the International aspect of it , 300 Meters
is 984 feet .

So.... 300 meters as the international standard ?

Also , are there some tracks ( USA etc also ) that now run the 1/8th , that might be able to go to 300M ?

Might also bring the Pro Mod etc cars into more races ?
Old 08-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I think people are forgetting that it was the racers who pushed NHRA to change to 1000 ft. If Rapisarda gets enough backing they could do the same in Australia for IHRA.
wow, I dont remember that at the beginning.

I remember a bunch of drivers that should have not run after Scott Kalittas death all show up on sunday and still try to rotate the earth. Yes, the espn boom truck was moved, but that Sunday changed my thoughts forever. These are all "It wont happen to me", "My equipment is too good", adrenaline junkies when the right thing to do was honor his death by shutting down the weekend, not the "Scott would have wanted us to go on" excuse.

The only thing that drove the 1000 foot was insurance coverage. Dont get me wrong, the majority of drivers are saying they dont want to go back, but dont tell me someone does not have the desire to hit 350 in the 1320 in Gainsville where there is plenty of shut down.
Old 08-31-2017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post

I remember a bunch of drivers that should have not run after Scott Kalittas death all show up on sunday and still try to rotate the earth. Yes, the espn boom truck was moved, but that Sunday changed my thoughts forever. These are all "It wont happen to me", "My equipment is too good", adrenaline junkies when the right thing to do was honor his death by shutting down the weekend, not the "Scott would have wanted us to go on" excuse.

The only thing that drove the 1000 foot was insurance coverage. Dont get me wrong, the majority of drivers are saying they dont want to go back, but dont tell me someone does not have the desire to hit 350 in the 1320 in Gainsville where there is plenty of shut down.
Its unfortunate you got that impression because its incorrect. At this level its all about preparing as well as you can so that WHEN an incident happens you've managed the risk as best you can. I don't think I've heard a single driver ever say "my equipment is too good". Stuff happens and nobody knows that better than drivers. I've learned that everybody "honors" the deceased in their own way. Nobody's way of grieving is right or wrong, its too personal for that so I think its unfair to pass judgement on that.

Nobody said there aren't people who want to go 350 at 1320 but doing that and doing what makes sense for an entire series are two different things.
Old 08-31-2017

Quote:

There were plenty of racers, crew chiefs and team owners calling for 1,000' before Scott's death. Garlits called for it years before it happened. Kalitta has made the same threat, 1,000' or he closes up shop.
Old 08-31-2017

Quote:
the "Scott would have wanted us to go on" excuse.
What's worse than that excuse is the excuse that "1000-foot racing isn't drag racing". But it's come to that, and yes, it most certainly is racing. Technology has outgrown the capabilities of most tracks, and the forces that act upon race cars at 350mph speeds are not only brutal, they aren't going to change. Anyone knows that 350 ain't 330, despite the seemingly insignificant difference. Cars are always going to crash, and what's survivable at 330 probably won't be at 350. It's simply too fast.

So we swallow our purist pride and go watch 'em race at 1000 feet. The first time I saw it, 2008 at the Texas Motorplex, it took maybe half a dozen passes to get used to the earlier shutoff and numbers that didn't correspond to what I'd been seeing for decades. After that, it was loud, fast, exciting racing as usual. If one can't get excited about a 339mph funny car pass, or a fuel dragster running nearly 300mph in 660 feet, maybe one needs to join a sewing club...

For what it's worth, if NHRA, in all their infinite wisdom, DID decide to return to 1320' fuel racing, in my opinion there's only one way to do it - 500 inches, 2500 pounds, 90% in the tank, 8000rpm limiter and 20% blower overdrive. Build the clutch management, fuel system, compression, heads, cam, etc. around those parameters and voila, you have a 4.60/320mph quarter miler that you can still get stopped. I'd be curious to see how TF racers would react to such a mandate...
Old 08-31-2017

Quote:
Its unfortunate you got that impression because its incorrect. At this level its all about preparing as well as you can so that WHEN an incident happens you've managed the risk as best you can. I don't think I've heard a single driver ever say "my equipment is too good". Stuff happens and nobody knows that better than drivers. I've learned that everybody "honors" the deceased in their own way. Nobody's way of grieving is right or wrong, its too personal for that so I think its unfair to pass judgement on that.

Nobody said there aren't people who want to go 350 at 1320 but doing that and doing what makes sense for an entire series are two different things.
The point from that weekend is they seriously went from what 6pm saturday til 10 am sunday, moved a boom truck and apparently decided what happened to scott would not happen to them on that track at those speeds.
Old 08-31-2017

Quote:

NHRA is the insurance coverage...
Old 08-31-2017

Quote:
That's what I mean. The TF racers want this and with FIA European TF also 1000 ft it really makes no sense for the Aussie's to stay 1/4 as they would be the only ones. But I don't think "all" pro classes are necessary, just the nitro cars.
I don't think it is necessary I personally think all PRO classes should be the same distance. That's all.
Old 08-31-2017

How many deaths have there been in the last thirty years due to a short shut down area in the fuel classes?