CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 03-27-2009

Default Nostalgia FC

Reading the thread discussing Gary Densham and the cost to race got me thinking...

Living on the east coast, there aren't too many nostalgia AA/FC races. I guess they are working their way from the west coast and will most likely catch on here some time soon. The class seems to be well recieved. My understanding is that cars are already running in the high 5 second range. I'm guessing the cost to make anything go that fast is pretty high. As these cars go faster and faster, fewer people can afford to keep up. Do any of these nostalgia groups put a cap on how fast these cars can and should go? In other words, lets say rules state cars can't run under 6.50. Wouldn't that attract more competitors to the ranks, without squeezing others out? Granted going even that fast is not cheap, but it's got to cost less than running 5.90s. Right now I gotta believe these cars are comparable to AFC and AD as far as cost to run. Additionaly, the faster these cars go, the fewer the number of tracks that can safely support them.

Just looking for a way to keep the "independent" team competitive. I would love to see this class grow. If these cars remained in the high 6 second zone maybe we could see another 64 funny car event...or at least 32. I think there may be a nostalgia race or two at Maple Grove, but outside of that....I'm not aware of any.
Old 03-27-2009

just check in with that AA/FD link I posted in the other thread. They cancelled a vegas event to make sure teams can make it to their maple grove event. I didnt see the date come up yet, but its the big show. I know when we raced goodguys at indy, they paid the california teams to come out with the diggers.

http://www.nostalgiafunnycarnews.com...read.php?t=985

this is the old thread that planned 4 east of the mississippi events in their points deal.

As far as growing, the goodguys usually split up the top fuel entries to a and b where the 6 second injected nitro hemi of teams like Beedy and Lutz would race. When there werent enough cars they would race in one fuel category against the 5 second rails. so if they get enough cars, they are they type of organization that will race friendly. Some even use the 1-5 2-4 3-6 4-8 matchups from qualifying to keep the fields closer instead of the 1-8 2-7 deal.

Its definitely the route I would pick if we got back into racing.
Old 03-27-2009

Wow...different venues looking out for one another all the while benefiting the overall state of the sport. There is a novel idea. How many Quick 8 events are being held in the Carolinas during the President's Cup at MIR. I know of at least 1.
Old 03-27-2009

Default 3 common factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreds1 View Post
Reading the thread discussing Gary Densham

Do any of these nostalgia groups put a cap on how fast these cars can and should go?

Just looking for a way to keep the "independent" team competitive.

Densham, a performance limit, "independent"... You tap-danced around and almost stumbled and fell upon the answer to your question. If I recall, you should be able to ask camarors68 about www.cifcaracing.com. While not a true throw-back group they do have a speed limit of sorts.
Old 03-27-2009

Yes Cifca was a 7.50 index funnycar class, I think they are going to 7.20 but dont quote me. The thing is you have milestones you need to make to have a good show. Example Cifca is 7.50 at about 180MPH good show but if you get cars under 7 seconds, so 6.99 at over 200MPH better show. Then you have under 6 seconds at 250MPH or nostalgia right now, even better show. then you have under 5 seconds at 300MPH even better. Now do I think that nostalgia could get to that 300MPH under 5 seconds with the rules they have NO I dont but could we see a very consistent class of under 6 seconds at 250+, yes. As far as cost, Nostalgia funnycar is a lot less then dragsters because of the rules they allowed. Pluger runs his 2 cars under 6 seconds almost every run and doesnt hurt much but remember anytime you run a car on nitro it will blow up eventually. We are currently building a Nostalgia funnycar to run and with how strong the parts have gotten and how little the blower and pump are I dont think we will have much damage.
Old 03-28-2009

but its the nostalgia class. Most of the organizations want to put out a show that you would have seen 30 years ago. The nostalgia top fuel dragsters were always skating around the 6's when goodguys limited their performance with blower, pum, single and slick size. they were running the hard wall mickey thompson 12" slicks back there. I see the california races are on hoosiers and goodyears now, so they can put more power to the track and have gotten to the mid 5's. Seems they are all running a big mag off the cam as well, so maybe its more of choosing what organization you want to support and can accept.
We had one guy be an outlaw fuel nostalgia guy. He took a dual pump, dual mag engine and put it in his digger. Rarely were the tracks good enough to hold it and he couldnt compete anywhere. But he just wanted to see how fast he could go.

Its just cool there are more than one out there to choose from.
Old 03-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreds1 View Post
...a nostalgia race or two at Maple Grove, but outside of that....I'm not aware of any.
There is at least six "Classic" F/C races on the East Coast this season booked by Nitro Nick.
Read www.classicfunnycarboard.com to keep up with all the action.

Nitrohelper Services Worldwide
Old 03-29-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarors68 View Post
.....We are currently building a Nostalgia funnycar to run......
What kind of body have you chosen, and will it have extended front overhang?
I'm partial to the looks of a traditional short overhang on nostalgia fuel coupe. And since Gary ran a Pinto body back in the day, I'd go with that.

And nice job getting in the show yesterday!

----------------------------
Old 03-29-2009

Or maybe something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-WHEELS-DRAG-...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 03-29-2009

We are going to have a 125" wheelbase so we dont have to mess with the chassis that much but we are going to cut 11" off the over hang. Gary was really thinking that the Challenger/Cuda body would be good but we decided on the 69 camaro body because we think it is the best made and looking body for a 125" wheelbase out right now. Some of the cuda's have bubbles in the rear window for the cage and it just doesnt look right. We still might paint it to look like the Challenger if there is no sponsor for it. But we hope that is not the case because Gary is a retired teacher and cant run it in the long run without one.

Tags
densham, nostalgia funny car