CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-01-2008
JesustotheRaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
Go back and reread your posts.
All posts reread. And ?

Last edited by JesustotheRaces; 06-02-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2008
SundayNiagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesustotheRaces
All posts reread. And ?
For the life of me, I can't figure out just exactly what you are trying to prove.
Old 06-01-2008
JesustotheRaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
For the life of me, I can't figure out just exactly what you are trying to prove.
Please tell Me...why did You say - " What have You been smoking ? "

No gamemanship here on this side.....

Last edited by JesustotheRaces; 06-02-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB
Garlits was a seasoned pro in 57, I saw him in appearences at many Florida tracks, many of which are no longer.
I moved to central Florida in '06, and have been trying to find some of these tracks that are now defunct
(I'm told that Garlits made his first runs in Lake Wales..... is that where the current airport is located, in the S/W corner of Rt 60 & Rt 27 intersection?)

The names and locations of some of these now-gone tracks would be very-appreciated:
thanks-in-advance!
Old 06-02-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesustotheRaces
Apparently ....amnesia is setting in or senilty....( Decreasing the sizzle on the surface of Your and Rowdy's eyes ! )

You make these statements when I have in My hands the historical
documentation that has a picture of Connie Kallita with His wife Marianne
in 1964.

No the historical beginnings of NHRA's # 1 ALL TIME person of Don Garlits
portrays a much more humble beginnings that Fuel or Top Fuel or whatever
Fuel.....

ON page 103 it says- Don Garlits drove the " 63 Max Wedge SS/AA " !
Sponsored by Massey Motors of Tampa-Jacksonville.

Specifications:

Swamp Rat # - None
Pit Crew - Don Garlits and Fred Smith
Engine - 426cu inch Dodge Wedge
Horse Power - 450
Class - SS/A Super Stock
Competition Number - 776
Body Style- 1963 Dart Sedan
Best Elasped Time- 12.00
Best Speed M-P-H- 120.00
Major Sponsors - Dodge
Location of Car Now - Returned to Dodge

Stick this in Your racing pipe and smoke it !

JTR.......

By 1963, Don Garlits had 13 years worth of racing under his belt. He won his first race at a local airport. The story goes something like this: In 1950 Don and Pat were coming back from a trip, and saw a sign telling about hot rod races. I believe he was driving 1940 Ford.

He built a "rail job" out of a Model T in 1955. Real primitive deal, even by the standard of the day: http://www.mybestyears.com/DonGarlits.html

Swamp Rat I was the fastest dragster in the country in 1957 and 1958. Interesting fact I didn't know: In 1959, June 14th, 4 days before I was born, to be exact, Garlits put a blower on the car in Houston, Texas, and set a new world record of 182.54 mph.

Look under the Swamp Rat section: http://www.garlits.com/
Old 06-02-2008
JesustotheRaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
JTR.......

By 1963, Don Garlits had 13 years worth of racing under his belt. He won his first race at a local airport. The story goes something like this: In 1950 Don and Pat were coming back from a trip, and saw a sign telling about hot rod races. I believe he was driving 1940 Ford.

He built a "rail job" out of a Model T in 1955. Real primitive deal, even by the standard of the day: http://www.mybestyears.com/DonGarlits.html

Swamp Rat I was the fastest dragster in the country in 1957 and 1958. Interesting fact I didn't know: In 1959, June 14th, 4 days before I was born, to be exact, Garlits put a blower on the car in Houston, Texas, and set a new world record of 182.54 mph.

Look under the Swamp Rat section: http://www.garlits.com/
My Posting 14 - has some of those very details dating back into the early 50's

One incredible book !

Old 06-02-2008
Frank

I believe Don put the Blower on at Isky's shop in Calif after two of a PAID appearance tour of four tracks with Texas being the last on the way back from Calif to Fla.

We (M&R Speed Shop) ran Don in A/FD now called T/F while he still had a Flathead and we had a Packard-(Either 57/58).

Don stayed at our shop when in the Chicago area during 58/62 AND to make the circle complete a couple of years ago at the Ala 100K T/F Independent Race Don was there doing displays with that same restored car.
I was in the push truck and just as Don fired off TC looked over and said "Well this would be PERFECT if that ####ing Prudhomme was in the other lane.
Frank Oglesby

Last edited by Frank; 06-02-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2008
gary4205

JTR, From the first of this thread:

JesustotheRaces

Post Did You know ? ........
Big Daddy Don Garlits DROVE a
1963 426 Wedge Super Stocker.....long before the fuel cars ? ? ? ?[/color]
Last edited by JesustotheRaces : 6 Hours Ago at 06:03 AM.

You do realize there was more to drag racing than the NHRA, long before 1963, right?

There was this guy named Jim Tice. Seeing the ban on nitro by the NHRA, he started the AHRA. The AHRA was almost as big as NHRA, and for decades was an alternative, or supplement to the NHRA. Neither had all that many races back in the day, as they had less together, than the NHRA does now.

The AHRA's big draw? Nitromethane racing!

And Don Garlits was a mainstay at AHRA races, well before 1963. Hell, before Tice died, and the AHRA collapsed, Garlits was a VP at AHRA.

The point? Big Daddy was on fuel, long before he drove the S/S car.
Old 06-02-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I believe Don put the Blower on at Isky's shop in Calif after two of a PAID appearance tour of fourth tracks with Texas being the last on the way back from Calif to Fla.

We (M&R Speed Shop) ran Don in A/FD now called T/F while he still had a Flathead and we had a Packard-(Either 57/58).

Don stayed at our shop when in the Chicago area during 58/62 AND to make the circle complete a couple of years ago at the Ala 100K T/F Independent Race Don was there doing displays with that same restored car.
I was in the push truck and just as Don fired off TC looked over and said "Well this would be PERFECT if that ####ing Prudhomme was in the other lane.
Frank Oglesby
Great story Frank!

You gotta tell us more about that Packard!
Old 06-02-2008
JesustotheRaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
JTR, From the first of this thread:

JesustotheRaces

Post Did You know ? ........
Big Daddy Don Garlits DROVE a
1963 426 Wedge Super Stocker.....long before the fuel cars ? ? ? ?[/color]
Last edited by JesustotheRaces : 6 Hours Ago at 06:03 AM.

You do realize there was more to drag racing than the NHRA, long before 1963, right?

There was this guy named Jim Tice. Seeing the ban on nitro by the NHRA, he started the AHRA. The AHRA was almost as big as NHRA, and for decades was an alternative, or supplement to the NHRA. Neither had all that many races back in the day, as they had less together, than the NHRA does now.

The AHRA's big draw? Nitromethane racing!

And Don Garlits was a mainstay at AHRA races, well before 1963. Hell, before Tice died, and the AHRA collapsed, Garlits was a VP at AHRA.

The point? Big Daddy was on fuel, long before he drove the S/S car.
Thanks for bringing this to My attention.

I have put My editorial guy on probation ! LOL

It's been corrected. Thanks.