CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 12-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
Pretty sure that Powerade spends more than that, just not sure what the number is. It is way less than NHRA's total yearly cash purses though. And Coke does absolutely nothing to promote it's sponsorship of the NHRA, or the NHRA itself. In my HEB you gotta hunt for Powerade if you want it, unlike Gatorade. Same goes for Wal-Mart.
What is a HEB? and not I'm not referring to what some people think. To my knowledge I have NEVER seen ANY ad for Powerade referring to drag racing other than what's shown during the ESPN2 event coverage. Don't really know what they're providing to NHRA other than their name.

Just Pondering.....
Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Old 12-08-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger
What is a HEB? and not I'm not referring to what some people think. To my knowledge I have NEVER seen ANY ad for Powerade referring to drag racing other than what's shown during the ESPN2 event coverage. Don't really know what they're providing to NHRA other than their name.
HEB is the largest grocery store chain in Texas, outselling even Wal-Mart. And yeah, Powerade does NOTHING for drag racing. They did run an ad years ago, that you can watch on Shoe's website, that was killer, but their advertising support for NHRA since is nil.

As Jon Asher wrote a while back, Powerade was basically a placeholder. NHRA was afraid to go it without a corporate name next to series. It's understandable, because it looks good to have a Fortune 500 backer. It lends credibility. But for what ever reason, NHRA seems to be happy that Powerade does nothing to promote the sport.

All this at a time you can't sling a dead cat without hitting a NASCAR themed Nextel/Sprint ad. That might be over kill to expect for our sport, but anything would be better than it is.
Old 12-08-2007

In the beginning, I tried buying Powerade to "support the sport", but the stuff was so hard to find and back then you couldn't even get it at the track! They don't even do anything for their own image, let alone promote drag racing. The stuff is about the same as Gatorade, so you'd think they'd try to do something to capture market share. If they gave away decent coupons at events or something of that nature, they'd probably generate enough sales to recoup what they spend on NHRA. It would also help to make it the cheapest thing to drink at the track in an effort to get people "hooked" on drinking it. Instead, it's just another over-priced track drink.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Old 12-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrat_77
In the beginning, I tried buying Powerade to "support the sport", but the stuff was so hard to find and back then you couldn't even get it at the track! They don't even do anything for their own image, let alone promote drag racing. The stuff is about the same as Gatorade, so you'd think they'd try to do something to capture market share. If they gave away decent coupons at events or something of that nature, they'd probably generate enough sales to recoup what they spend on NHRA. It would also help to make it the cheapest thing to drink at the track in an effort to get people "hooked" on drinking it. Instead, it's just another over-priced track drink.
Well we've got it locally at most of the stores but I have to admit the only time I've ever drank the stuff was during the 24 hours preceding my colonoscopy when I 'survived' on it and green popcicles Can't say I'd go out of my way to drink it without coercion. My idea of a 'survival' drink is Miller Lite and I'm not big on popcicles either . Apple ice cream on the other hand..........

Just Pondering.....

Old 12-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger
My idea of a 'survival' drink is Miller Lite and I'm not big on popcicles either . Apple ice cream on the other hand..........
Ahhhh Miller Lite and ice cream... the magic elixar of life.
Old 12-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy
Ahhhh Miller Lite and ice cream... the magic elixar of life.
Great minds think alike......

Just Pondering.....

Old 12-08-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrat_77
The Coca-Cola folks are brain dead on the whole Powerade brand! As you say, they don't even promote the product, let alone the sport. I, like you, have tried to buy it, to support a company that "supports" drag racing. No more.

The sad part is drag racing fans, hell, racing fans in general are very loyal to companies that sponsor our sport. As the studies say, more so than the general public. As far as I'm concerned Powerade has blown an excellent chance to have a rabid fan base drinking it's product.

But again, Coke doesn't even try to sell the stuff, at least around here. Gatorade will have shelves full of it's different products, and Powerade will have 1/3 of a shelf, max. It's funny too, since Coke and Pepsi are such huge competitors, and Gatorade is a Pepsi brand, you'd think the competition would be greater. It just leaves you shaking your head.
Old 12-09-2007

Everytime I buy Powerade, and I do buy and drink it out of support for the sport, I have to hunt for it majorly at the local Walmart, small price to pay I reckon for my small contribution, I rememebr that when RJ Reynolds got out back a few years ago that NHRA was shopping the title sponsorship for the professional series, and heard that CocaCola got it for a song, never heard the dollar amount but I did hear it was chicken scratch, heard the same thing too about Nationwide sponsoing the now defunct Busch series in Nascar. I am kinda leary about Evan buying the IHRA, if he comes in and tries to compete head to head with NHRA we have a problem. I remember when the CART series went head to head with IRL, it nearly killed both of them, openwheel racing as a whole. I do know that most people don't give a rats ass about Indy car type racing, I don't anyhow, but is this what we want in our sport? Do we want less exposure than what we have? Do we want to see fewer competitive cars in each class? I mean, think about it like this, Force ain't going anywhere, neither is DSR, I doubt Bernstein would either, nor would Ken Black or Cagnazzi. so what we suddenly have is watered down racing with less competitive cars. I am sure that Evan would do wonders for the IHRA, but I do not want to see watered down racing, now if Evan or Bruton bought into NHRA (I have always wanted to see Bruton buy into NHRA..) I am all for it, but to go head to head against NHRA? No way.
Old 12-09-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnitro07
Everytime I buy Powerade, and I do buy and drink it out of support for the sport, I have to hunt for it majorly at the local Walmart, small price to pay I reckon for my small contribution, I rememebr that when RJ Reynolds got out back a few years ago that NHRA was shopping the title sponsorship for the professional series, and heard that CocaCola got it for a song, never heard the dollar amount but I did hear it was chicken scratch, heard the same thing too about Nationwide sponsoing the now defunct Busch series in Nascar. I am kinda leary about Evan buying the IHRA, if he comes in and tries to compete head to head with NHRA we have a problem. I remember when the CART series went head to head with IRL, it nearly killed both of them, openwheel racing as a whole. I do know that most people don't give a rats ass about Indy car type racing, I don't anyhow, but is this what we want in our sport? Do we want less exposure than what we have? Do we want to see fewer competitive cars in each class? I mean, think about it like this, Force ain't going anywhere, neither is DSR, I doubt Bernstein would either, nor would Ken Black or Cagnazzi. so what we suddenly have is watered down racing with less competitive cars. I am sure that Evan would do wonders for the IHRA, but I do not want to see watered down racing, now if Evan or Bruton bought into NHRA (I have always wanted to see Bruton buy into NHRA..) I am all for it, but to go head to head against NHRA? No way.
You bring up something none of us were thinking about, perfectly. I always liked open wheel, and was in favor of the IRL, because I liked what Tony George was trying to do, and Cart had become a real mess. But in hindsight, it was a huge mistake. Open wheel is barely on the radar for most folks any more. Even Danica Patrick can't get them traction. Now they're hoping Castroneves will, which tells you were the actual sport is. They're hoping that a two time Indy winner's dance moves will equal new fans!

Having a strong IHRA is good for the sport. There was a time when the sport could support three major, and a lot of minor sanctioning bodies, but you got it dead right, if IHRA tried to knock NHRA off the top, and aggressively go after them, everyone loses, and all of the momentum gained by NHRA over the years will be lost.

Don't know why I think this, other than a hunch, but I still think Evan would be more inclined to make a buy-in with a large block of HDP stock. It makes more sense.

Tags
crazy talk, evan knoll, ihra, nhra, torco