CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008

Nitro could live and thrive again, NHRA just won't control it with downforce like they should...
Old 07-03-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427
Gary I hope your right. I like to watch cars battle over the longer quarter mile distance. But I realize you make some good points if lesser funded teams and more teams can hang in there. Still I don't want the PS's, PM's and other classes to come down to a 1000 ft.
Like I posted yesterday, in another thread, drag racing lost 66 ft of timed racing course quite a while back, and absolutely no one even noticed, or cared!

You are old enough to remember the old "clocks" that were used for timing, really up until the 1990s. Anyhow, back in the day, The finish line had three sets of photocells. One 66 ft before the finish line that started the mph clock, the actual finish line, that stopped the ET clock, and one 66 ft after the finish line, that stopped the mph clock.

Obviously, as the cars became much, much faster, this became an issue, especially when MPH records still counted, and drivers were driving their cars "out the back door" trying to reach a big mph. So you had drivers very late on the chutes.

NHRA and all of the timing makers changed their systems quite a few years ago, (I don't remember the exact year, but someone will) Now, of course, the finish line also stops the mph trap.

My point? Stuff changes, as has the "real" length of of the race track. So far, NHRA has steadily gained, not lost. Things will be fine. Hell, we got folks on personal suicide watch, and not a tire has been turned in 1000 ft competition!

I think I'll wait.
Old 07-03-2008

NHRA has done a great job of diverting the attention away from the real issue - that is having shut down areas set up like mine fields at SOME of the national event tracks - which is an issue for NHRA and their track partners .. but instead they go after the nitro cars with more stupid rules that don't really accomplish a heck of a lot .. blame it on the tune ups and all .. BS, nitro motors have been explosive and violent since day 1 so taking a few hundred feet away from them isnt going to fix that .. FIX THE TRACKS .. I sat through a IHRA national event in San Antonio that was 1/8 mile and it was terrible from a fan perspective, for gosh sakes as soon as they got up to speed it was over, NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO THAT .. sure the racers loved it but this is PROFESSIONAL drag racing not the local track with Bubba and his friends with bracket cars, Pro Drag Racing should be a quarter mile ... and as stated previously take blower and fuel volume away from them and run 300mph tops in 1320 and be done with it - AFTER FIXING THE FREAKIN TRACK SHUT DOWNS
Old 07-03-2008

Nitro at any distance will still b e far more exciting than PS could be at any time, if any class is in trouble, and I don't think they are, it would be PS. I have never heard a fan call for replacing FC or TF with another class, yet in this thread alone 2 differant people call for just that option. Last week on NHRA today when Warren Johnson said our class isn't as violent as the nitro classes,w hat he actually meant to say was that weren't as exciting.
Old 07-03-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnitro07
Nitro at any distance will still b e far more exciting than PS could be at any time, if any class is in trouble, and I don't think they are, it would be PS. I have never heard a fan call for replacing FC or TF with another class, yet in this thread alone 2 differant people call for just that option. Last week on NHRA today when Warren Johnson said our class isn't as violent as the nitro classes,w hat he actually meant to say was that weren't as exciting.
A form of Pro Stock will be here if China stops selling us nitro or nitro cars can't get sponsors.. I think we all know that PS is solid as a rock. Warren also called them horizonal oil derricks and has said PS is the better and more exciting class. Why is there no qualifying in TF if things are so solid there.??? Were down to about 15 cars with a 7.38 on the bump????????
Old 07-03-2008
James Maxwell

Larry, it's high time you lay off the nitro cars, you love your P/S cars and go to bed everynight with the pic of W/J on the night table and a hope that nitromethane goes away, let me tell you first hand, you have no clue as to how popular nitro racing is, this all stems from your single one-time experience as a young man when you went to a Funny Car meet and a few leakers blew up, now forever and ever you preach about how great the Pro Stocks are over that ONE EXPERIENCE. You admitted you never saw successful Funny Cars go down the track, only the Pro Stocks.

It's all documented in the thread about HIGH WATER MARK.

At least we found out why.

Old 07-03-2008
gary4205

Quote:
A form of Pro Stock will be here if China stops selling us nitro or nitro cars can't get sponsors.. I think we all know that PS is solid as a rock. Warren also called them horizonal oil derricks and has said PS is the better and more exciting class. Why is there no qualifying in TF if things are so solid there.??? Were down to about 15 cars with a 7.38 on the bump????????
I notice you mention Top Fuel, like it's THE nitro class. Funny Car has nearly as many cars showing up as Pro Stock.

Top Fuel has been light for years. Much of it has to do with sponsor opportunities. Funny Cars are big billboards.
Old 07-03-2008

The saddest time for nitro racing will be the day that Larry becomes a fan.

Other than that I am not getting involved with Larry the master baiter.
Old 07-03-2008

Quote:
What the hell do you expect Warren to say that deep in his heart at the age of 65 or whatever he is he wants to pilot a Funny Car at 330? The man has lived and breathed Pro Stock for decades. Why would the end of his career be any different? One reason for the low qualifying times has been hot tracks and no grip on the tires. Even the Pro Stockers have been getting tire shake. I suppose that means they've all gone stupid because these brilliant masterful tuners/drivers can't get the setup right.

Just Pondering.....
Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Old 07-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger
What the hell do you expect Warren to say that deep in his heart at the age of 65 or whatever he is he wants to pilot a Funny Car at 330?
..... well..... at-least Larry won't complain that Ashley Force is the worst-leaver in her class when that day comes
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk