CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012
Administrator

Well I've stood along that fence on many occasions. If I would have been there, rather than on the opposite side of the track at 330', it would have given me the opportunity to get a good shot of it and clear out before it harmlessly floated to earth.

And I agree with the assessments of the intent of this thread........It won't endure.

----------------------------
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Minick View Post
If you want to make this like NASCAR where the fans aren't allowed anywhere except the stands where it is "safe", than be my guest. See what that does for attendance. At some point, the fans have to take resposibility for the assumed risk for being this close to the racing action. I know "responsibility" is a big word for today's society, but if you can't accept it, stay home and live in your bath tub.
Excuse me? I'm sure you wouldn't be too thrilled (even though you know the risks), if you saw a Funny Car body flying in the air coming towards you. Yes, of course, we all know the risks of attending the events. Like I said previously, I don't think there is much that can be done. It's not like I said put catch fencing up. I don't know what could be done, but I'm sure the NHRA wasn't too happy with that happening.
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofan1 View Post
I'm sure you wouldn't be too thrilled (even though you know the risks), if you saw a Funny Car body flying in the air coming towards you.
No, I prefer to be underneath them.

And let me see if you I get your point. Something needs to be done, but you're not sure if there is something that can be done?
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:

And let me see if you I get your point. Something needs to be done, but you're not sure if there is something that can be done?
Well said Mr. Minick....
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:

Yes, I may have been a bit confusing there. What I meant was that NHRA should look at keeping the bodies from flying off, not making any changes to spectator areas. But I'm not sure that anything can be done. I thought the burst panel was supposed to help with explosions.
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Yes, I may have been a bit confusing there. What I meant was that NHRA should look at keeping the bodies from flying off, not making any changes to spectator areas. But I'm not sure that anything can be done. I thought the burst panel was supposed to help with explosions.
You do realize that those body lifting explosions have the force of at least 10 sticks of TNT ...... Not much a burst panel can do when the explosion is coming from the combustion chamber and a 50 pound Solid Metal Crankshaft is splitting in half....and aluminum rods snapping like twigs.....
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Shouldn't you be responsible for keeping all of your car out of the other racers lane.
You mean like when a Pro Stocker which has literally zero down force gets loose at the top end and goes turtle into the other lane????

Ah...the tables have turned Senor Davis.....
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
He actually has a point. When I saw the video, I was saying "good thing there was no one standing down there." In my opinion, this is a serious thing to look at. NHRA dodged a bullet that day. This isn't a laughing matter. I don't think there is much that can be done, but something needs to be looked at. These same people making fun of the issue, will be the same ones blasting NHRA when a body ends up in the crowd.
If you are agreeing with it then I think we all know it is crap. You two should partner up and buy a bigger pot to stir up this ****.
Old 09-13-2012
Banned

Angry Big Problem.

Quote:
He actually has a point. When I saw the video, I was saying "good thing there was no one standing down there." In my opinion, this is a serious thing to look at. NHRA dodged a bullet that day. This isn't a laughing matter. I don't think there is much that can be done, but something needs to be looked at. These same people making fun of the issue, will be the same ones blasting NHRA when a body ends up in the crowd.
Thanks nitrofan1. NHRA has dodged another bullet like you said. Very Lucky. Fans could have been standing at this spot and we would have been talking about a tragedy. Where would the sport have been today if fans were killed?? I'm sure at NHRA there is a big effort to address this BIG PROBLEM.
Old 09-13-2012
Banned

Question What Willy????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Well I've stood along that fence on many occasions. If I would have been there, rather than on the opposite side of the track at 330', it would have given me the opportunity to get a good shot of it and clear out before it harmlessly floated to earth.

And I agree with the assessments of the intent of this thread........It won't endure.
Floated?????Willy a flying body of a car coming down at a speed of perhaps 100 mph and and you have to grab your kids or grand children and CLEAR OUT??? Where do you run??? Not only that, the car was changing directions. No clear path of safety????
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk, tethers