CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemaster View Post
If Glendora could get some money out of Ford and FCA they would do it. Probably have the same problems as Factory Stock. How to regulate OHC stuff vs pushrod. 5.0 Ford vs 5.7 Chevy vs Hemi. I think they could make it work but when they put minimal effort into making the Grunts fair to the 500" you see the problems.
Ford has some very astute marketing and financial guys. (Why they didn't need bailouts or have to sell their company.) If they can't make the biggest name in drag racing work (Force) why would they just "throw" money at NHRA?

Like Ford, the Dodge and Buick and Toyota and Nissan money would be very welcomed by NHRA. But their money managers have also made the determination that their costs to play in the NHRA playground is too high for their potential return.

Somehow, NHRA, their class structure and their racers have got to add value or reduce costs to potential sponsors. It's that simple.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I wish instead of slowing down the MM cars they would have done both, slow the MM cars a little with weight AND do some things to speed up the 500" cars. Things I think would get them into the low 6.40's are give them carbs back (EFI still an option), hood scoops, take 50lbs off and give them some good fuel. All fairly low cost things for the teams to do and it would get them closer to the MM cars.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp 670 View Post
I wish instead of slowing down the MM cars they would have done both, slow the MM cars a little with weight AND do some things to speed up the 500" cars. Things I think would get them into the low 6.40's are give them carbs back (EFI still an option), hood scoops, take 50lbs off and give them some good fuel. All fairly low cost things for the teams to do and it would get them closer to the MM cars.
That is pretty much what Vincent Nobile told me at Indy. The plan was to move the throttle bodies from the front of the engine to the top which would bring back hood scoops, raise the rev limiter to somewhere between 10,750 - 11,000, and maybe a small weight reduction.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by agroff383 View Post
the younger generation has much fewer car guys and gals. Thatís something that canít be argued and is only going to trend the way it is going....Ēour thingĒ is a niche sport and we have to do things that havenít been done before to keep it growing.
The majority of my friends are "car guys". Many or most own classic / performance cars. Of them, 10-20% attend our local NHRA national event that's about an hour away.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via Yahoo to jayork1331

Quote:
I was thinking exactly what you said here Mark....It could get a guy like you back out there too...
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
That is pretty much what Vincent Nobile told me at Indy. The plan was to move the throttle bodies from the front of the engine to the top which would bring back hood scoops, raise the rev limiter to somewhere between 10,750 - 11,000, and maybe a small weight reduction.
Why can't that still be the plan, MM cars or otherwise? Not sure everyone would be on board, though...I see yet another significant expense coming along with it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
K&N has a stake in this with their air induction system being mandatory. They may not be eager to scrap this deal with the time and money invested. Also there may be a lot of R&D in manifolding and injector placement with dry vs wet air flow which gets back to "Deep Pockets". On the other hand the factories are already using high pressure systems with direct injection on some models. It is sure a lot more efficient than the "Metered Leak" mandated now (It is 2018 not 1978 but evidently they haven't procured any new calendars in Glendora lately). Yes - pneumatic valve control systems would also save a lot of money over a season. Beside the obvious cost of the springs the amount of heat you don't have to disperse from bending that metal over 10,000 times a minute is going to reduce maintenance throughout the whole engine a bunch. Last I looked there are several gasses that pretty much stay the same temperature under pressure that work just fine and o-rings are not all that expensive.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayork1331 View Post
I was thinking exactly what you said here Mark....It could get a guy like you back out there too...
The only way I'd run PS again is if I win the 900 Million mega lotto tomorrow and then I'd still have reservations about doing it. To spend a few million to enter a class that prob wont be here in a few years would be stupid. Although with 900 mil I could sponsor WJ,KJ, Morgan, Huhtala, me and a few others to guarantee full fields for years to come..lol....
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
The only way I'd run PS again is if I win the 900 Million mega lotto tomorrow and then I'd still have reservations about doing it. To spend a few million to enter a class that prob wont be here in a few years would be stupid. Although with 900 mil I could sponsor WJ,KJ, Morgan, Huhtala, me and a few others to guarantee full fields for years to come..lol....

Sounds like a fun 5 or 6 years. Then what after you've blown through it all????
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:

The real question is with sponsorship money would the Johnson's return to PS ? I once promised Gaydosh if I ever ran into money I would sponsor him ,I guess he got tired of waiting for my lottery win .