CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 3 Weeks Ago

One fact is clear - there IS no positive return on investment when it comes to sponsoring a Pro Stock car. Even a budget operation costs $1M a year if all 24 races are entered. I don't care if it's a speed equipment company, a tobacco company, beer company, or what it is - nobody gets $1M (and up) worth of ROI in a year's time because their name is on the door of a PS Camaro.

So what you have left are independently wealthy people, like the Grays, who sponsor themselves...or maybe a Pro athlete with money to burn on a hobby he or she enjoys (think Dan Pastorini and Tom Hammonds)...or if you're lucky, you find a corporation who needs a big tax writeoff. That's it. You sure as hell aren't going to make a profit just from winning PS races - if you were to win all 24 or them + the championship, you're still not going to break even....

...but none of that is unique to Pro Stock, or drag racing in general. Sponsors don't make money on NASCAR, Formula 1, World of Outlaws, IndyCar or any other form of auto racing. There isn't 1 person in 10 that can associate ONE sponsor with ONE NASCAR car, and a NASCAR team costs millions to operate.

A rich man's game, to be sure.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
I wonder if Scrappers, Capco, etc. is a tax write-off...
Normally those race cars are separate corporations that have to list the sponsor money as income and after a while the sponsor (Scrappers - Capco) has to show that they got some benefit from the advertising or it won't be tax deductible. It is pretty easy to say that the sponsor benefited from that advertising even if it is PR and they got potential income from it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

So a21 and few others need to awaken that doesnít matter if itís pro stock or fuel thereís no money for racers in this sport and he thinks sell out crowds show how healthy the sport is. Once there is no cars to race the fans will stop buying tickets. I will bet that scenario will come before no fans and still racing cars at the rate we are going. I will say it again be prepared cause your going to buy a ticket to empty pits. Still not a pro stock problem altogether. Again repeat racers carry the investment, nhra invest what in it. Glad Iím not in a business that depends on people spending millions for nothing in return. Road to nowhere and whoís more crazy in this us as racers or nhra. A21 name me one company outside of racing that has this business model.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
So a21 and few others need to awaken that doesn’t matter if it’s pro stock or fuel there’s no money for racers in this sport and he thinks sell out crowds show how healthy the sport is. Once there is no cars to race the fans will stop buying tickets. I will bet that scenario will come before no fans and still racing cars at the rate we are going. I will say it again be prepared cause your going to buy a ticket to empty pits. Still not a pro stock problem altogether. Again repeat racers carry the investment, nhra invest what in it. Glad I’m not in a business that depends on people spending millions for nothing in return. Road to nowhere and who’s more crazy in this us as racers or nhra. A21 name me one company outside of racing that has this business model.
Ah... but the track operators and NHRA ALWAYS have new people lining up to race. When one group or individual quits there's another group of folks who pickup the mantle. Been that way since the 60's when those strange funny car things took the highest paying jobs away from the AA/FA guys.

Twin Engine dragsters went away and Pro Comp came in.
AA/FA went away when the Funny Cars took all their bookings away.
Gassers went away when Pro Stock became the hot ticket.
Pro Stock isn't hot now but Pro Mod is.

And NHRA hasn't even touched the surface of so many classes they don't even use.
The small tire guys and the no prep/no time guys for two.
PDRA, Nostalgia Groups like the Southern Slingshots, all the different Gasser groups, Nostalgia Pro Stock and others might jump at the opportunity to race on NHRA's stage if given the chance.
NMCA and NMRA are going great and I have a feeling they've got a good thing going and are trying to fly under NHRA's radar.

Imports will pack Orlando Speedworld next week with cars from Europe, Australia and the Caribbean and NHRA has no need for them ...today. (Last year Speedworld had more import cars and bigger spectator crowds than they ever did for their famous World Street Nationals.)

When Gary Scelzi, Ormby and Jon Dunn left the driver seat, there was someone willing to jump in.
When car owners Eddie Hill, Joe Amato and Kenny Bernstein quit/retired, it opened the door for new guys.
When Richard Tharp, Kansas John Wiebe, John Collins, Billy Graham (no not that one), Marvin Swartz and Larry Gould quit, they weren't a blip on the drag racing radar screen and they all were really cool and hard core racers.
People were saying NHRA drag racing was going belly up when Don Garlits and Glidden quit. It's bigger now.

NHRA has so many classes (acts) for their national event stage now that they don't have to spend anymore money on payout.
When they have a sellout crowd on a Saturday but the stands are already 1/2 empty by the time the last 4 pair of fuel cars make their passes tells me their day is too long for their audience. There's a marketing/entertainment axium of "Always finish with them (the audience) wanting more."

Nitro Harley's may not produce tight racing buy ya gotta give it to them. It's a wilder show with the crowd being more vocal after they make a pass than a par of "seemingly mild" Pro Stock Bikes. NHRA's show is doing fine today and will do fine tomorrow as long as they adapt the show to fit the audience. They are... just trying to be quiet about it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

*When they have a sellout crowd on a Saturday but the stands are already 1/2 empty by the time the last 4 pair of fuel cars make their passes tells me their day is too long for their audience.*

It tells me a lot of people are trying to get ahead of the mass exodus so they aren'r trapped in the parking lot for 45+ minutes.

Last edited by HEMI_guy; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:13 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
*When they have a sellout crowd on a Saturday but the stands are already 1/2 empty by the time the last 4 pair of fuel cars make their passes tells me their day is too long for their audience.*

It tells me a lot of people are trying to hey ahead of the mass exodus so they aren'r trapped in the parking lot for 45+ minutes.
But you only see "the exit stamped" at Pro baseball, basketball, football, hockey and soccer games when the home team is getting slaughtered.

If the games close or even if the home teams kicking butt, the crowd stays to either see the climactic finish or enjoy the victory celebration.

I could be wrong, but there can't be that many people leaving because the only race car they came to see just stunk up their last pass of the day and they don't care to see the rest of the pros make their passes.

I'm thinking too many of them are tired from the 5-8 hours of walking around and having to stand to watch because the idiot in front of them is standing even though he doesn't need to. ..But that's a whole different subject.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

While everybody was stalled in line trying to leave, we used to fire up the hibachi grill and look at all that free crap they handed out...

... plus sorted out the free cigarettes and dip and gave them to our friends back home. We were heroes giving away that stuff, lol.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

We used to do the same thing at E-Town, walk back to the car and start the bbq...

I don't put much weight on the sell-outs. In any major sport, the TV money is where the real haul is. The NFL wouldn't make a fraction of the money it does if it depended only on ticket sales.

Remember the earlier post where the potential sponsor was not interested because of the limited TV presence? And that was limited time on a show that's getting low ratings to begin with. Who's gonna pony up for that?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

After Sunday's last pass, I always head for the pits and hang loose for an hour or so. There's lots to see and do, even after the race is over...there's nitro rebuilds going on, often you get to talk to a racer, you can browse through the manufacturer's midway, pick up some souvenirs or just walk around checking out the cars - and quite a few hotties that are still in the area.

An hour goes quickly; then you get in your car and drive off without having to deal with any traffic.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
I'm promoting adults making decisions for themselves. I grew up in a house with two smoking parents at a time where smoking was everywhere and never smoked cigarettes although I did pick up cigars a few years ago. You want to save lives, ban big macs and doctors. Obesity and medical mistakes kill far more than smoking or vaping.

And I'm not buying a vaporizer is worse than a cigarette.

https://www.irishpost.com/life-style...gs9gYNXSFbkw5U