CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 05-22-2018

Default purses

If you want to see bad purses --look at the winners in the alky classes maybe 5k?
Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosky racing View Post
If you want to see bad purses --look at the winners in the alky classes maybe 5k?
"Maybe"? LOL...you of all people whould know for sure what they are.

How much in contingenies are being paid for winning a national event? I know 10+ years ago a national event win was pushing $15k w/contingencies.
Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGrump View Post
i tried searching online for the NHRA purse a few times in the past with no luck either!! .... there's an old saying 'if you have to ask, you cant afford it'. well in this case if you cant find it than its because its an embarrassment and they know it! they used to display it in national dragster but the last issues i received (about 15 years) ago they stopped. maybe they started publishing it again ???
I just went page by page through 5 different issues of National Dragster from the last 4 months and couldn't find any Pro Class purse payouts. Only the Championship Payouts were listed.

We believe the winner purse at each national event is $20k this year but we don't know what the runner up, semi, 1/4 final or qualifying $$ is. Anyone know actual numbers?
Old 05-23-2018

Itís 20k to win now, 4K for qualifying first rd lost. Not sure what second, semi, runner up is. Use to get 3k to qualify number 1 too which this is for whole other discussion. It use to be 25k to win, 5k to qualify first rd lost, 7500 rd2, 9000 semis, I canít rember runner up. All the pay is bad and reason for car count decline across the board. Sportsman pay is flat a joke. I guess itís all a joke when an organization opens the doors to do business and sell products and it starts with 2.7 million over head for 1 event. But the 100k you pay pro stock is an issue. Same as my whole leg is infected needs to be cut off so you cut your big toe off instead.
Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
Itís 20k to win now, 4K for qualifying first rd lost. Not sure what second, semi, runner up is. Use to get 3k to qualify number 1 too which this is for whole other discussion. It use to be 25k to win, 5k to qualify first rd lost, 7500 rd2, 9000 semis, I canít rember runner up. All the pay is bad and reason for car count decline across the board. Sportsman pay is flat a joke. I guess itís all a joke when an organization opens the doors to do business and sell products and it starts with 2.7 million over head for 1 event. But the 100k you pay pro stock is an issue. Same as my whole leg is infected needs to be cut off so you cut your big toe off instead.
Sportsman payout is pathetic. Last year at the Fall Classic, a national open, brackets paid more to win then Super categories. The worst part of that was the entry fee was higher for less payout. But we all did it, so we shoulder some of the blame.
Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
How much in contingenies are being paid for winning a national event? I know 10+ years ago a national event win was pushing $15k w/contingencies.
In Topeka:
Top Fuel & Funny Car paid $7,800 to the winner and $2,100 to the runner-up (15 companies).

Pro Stock paid $13,800 to the winner and $3,000 to the runner-up (28 companies).

Now remember that amount is only if you had their "official" sicker on the car the entire weekend.
Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
It’s 20k to win now, 4K for qualifying first rd lost. Not sure what second, semi, runner up is. Use to get 3k to qualify number 1 too which this is for whole other discussion. It use to be 25k to win, 5k to qualify first rd lost, 7500 rd2, 9000 semis, I can’t rember runner up. All the pay is bad and reason for car count decline across the board. Sportsman pay is flat a joke. I guess it’s all a joke when an organization opens the doors to do business and sell products and it starts with 2.7 million over head for 1 event. But the 100k you pay pro stock is an issue. Same as my whole leg is infected needs to be cut off so you cut your big toe off instead.
Disclaimer: The following is not a slam at Pro Stock. It’s a very simple attempt to look at the financial picture from a track owner and NHRA viewpoint. What’s the Pro Stock bottom line? What does Pro Stock bring in vs. what does it cost? What does it do that “moves the ball” in a positive direction for NHRA? They have made changes and comments that lead me to believe they are looking at their bottomline and especially the Pro Stock bottomline. It’s what track owners and NHRA must do to be the astute businessmen I believe are now running NHRA and their national event tracks.

Using Chris McGaha’s Pro Stock purse payout and “guessing” the Pro Stock runner up purse at $9k, we get $20k for the win, $9k RU, $7k for semifinals, $5k for ľ finals and $4k for first round loser. Then NHRA is paying a 2018 Pro Stock purse of $75k for each national event.

Knowing that multiday tickets are discounted and while seat prices are all over the road, the cheap seats are typically around $55.00 each. But reserved seats can more than double that. A simple reserved seat at the Route 66 race is $65 each. It would probably be fair to assume the average ticket price is at least $50.00 each.

Using those numbers, if NHRA pulled a much smoother than P/S Truck cancelation of Pro Stock and as a result, 1500 ticket buyers quit buying tickets solely because of it, NHRA’s bottom line apparently wouldn’t feel a thing. Yes, this is simplistic and TV marketing and their related expenses and other Pro Stock only income and expenses would need to be looked at too.

Another issue for them to agree on would be, what would replace Pro Stock? Would Pro Mod or Factory Stock? Or do they not replace Pro Stock at all and shorten the day(‘s) to get closer to the typical event standard of 3.5 hours that the average person wants to spend at a game or event. (And maybe have people in the stands for the Nitro Class finals.)

There are other Pro Stock expenses for the track owners and NHRA. Technical staff salaries, management and clerical time, pit space, trophies, announcing and marketing time used for Pro Stock. Pulling out the specific Pro Stock income and expenses from the full racing program would be hard to determine, but is very much required for astute business management (and justify those big salaries everybody likes to complain about).

This is why my ears perk up when I hear that NHRA wanted to reduce Pro Stock to an 8 car field for 1/3 of their 2018 season. And when they went through the difficulty of announcing rule changes for: EFI, windshield banner, parking backwards, shorter wheelie bars, no scoops, etc. 3 years ago. When something is going great and your making money because of it, you don’t screw with it. NHRA is already tasked with making rule changes every time racers find a new way to hurt themselves. The only other reason changes are made is to improve the spectator show and therefore the bottomline. (Countdown anyone?)

This is why they’ve gotten the Pro Stock owner’s attention and those owners like Mr. McGaha, Mr. Freeman and others are responding in a proper attempt to keep their class valuable and alive. This is very interesting to watch and see how it will play out. It's one time I'm glad I don't have a vested interest either way. But seeing both sides is why I keep commenting even though some may think I'm against Pro Stock. I'm not. It's a very interesting and difficult position that those with vested interests in Pro Stock have found themselves in. Both car owners, driver and crews and NHRA and the track owners.
Old 05-23-2018

eliminate pro stock and the only doorslammer racing left, when PM is not scheduled, is 'throttle stop' racing, bracket racing, cic index racing and occasional 8 second factory stock. As far as 3.5 hours for an event !!!! ....if no cars but nitro cars were scheduled for a national event, it would still take 5 to 6 hours. 2 hours of on track racing 4 hours of turnaround time and that's assuming no oildowns
Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGrump View Post
eliminate pro stock and the only doorslammer racing left, when PM is not scheduled, is 'throttle stop' racing, bracket racing, cic index racing and occasional 8 second factory stock. As far as 3.5 hours for an event !!!! ....if no cars but nitro cars were scheduled for a national event, it would still take 5 to 6 hours. 2 hours of on track racing 4 hours of turnaround time and that's assuming no oildowns
Iím not recommending anything. Just a different observation and I'm questioning what NHRA might be thinking with the various decisions and statements theyíve made in the last few years regarding Pro Stock. Nothing Iíve said in my effort to forecast their thought process means they would be moving in the right or wrong direction if they did any of it. From a business standpoint they must be looking at it from all angles.

Shoot from my standpoint, I wish we still had the sheet metal altered wheelbase ďfunny carsĒ from 1967 with stock blocks brought in on open trailers. Plus the old fashioned AA/GS cars before Ohio Georgeís Mustang AA/GS and then the Modified Class plus the old flexy framed twin engine dragsters. (It was extremely cool watching Bob Muravez just pull Freight Train into the lanes and then the water box. He didn't even need to make a pass to be cool.) And of course, wouldn't be be neat if we still had the 1970-1980 Pro Stock rules where anybody and everybody seemed to show up with one?

But I also know bringing old stuff back doesnít mean any of it would bring enough paying audience to make it worthwhile for the track owner and/or NHRA. Thatís my real point. The track owner and NHRA have to make a profit or they will change things whether any of us like it or not. The racers are the performers and the spectators are the customers. Itís not the other way around unless the racers are going to be long term happy with ďpay to playĒ.

Regarding the 3-1/2 hour show, itís why the stands are 1/2 empty during the last round or final on sold out race days. That only happens at the stick and ball game when the visiting team is blowing the game out. But as long as enough of them keep paying to come back and leave early, I guess it doesn't really matter.
Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MNYTYS View Post
In Topeka:
Top Fuel & Funny Car paid $7,800 to the winner and $2,100 to the runner-up (15 companies).

Pro Stock paid $13,800 to the winner and $3,000 to the runner-up (28 companies).

Now remember that amount is only if you had their "official" sicker on the car the entire weekend.
Thanks. But I was asking about T/A.