CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-23-2018
kosky racing kosky racing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 87
Default payout

Hemi guy-its been at least 20 yrs. since purse + contingency =15k- having everything now maybe total 6500-7000 no big contingency like in the past they fell by the wayside-A note of interest our purses at one time was the same as pro stock whine on
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-23-2018
Mac4264 Mac4264 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Disclaimer: The following is not a slam at Pro Stock. It’s a very simple attempt to look at the financial picture from a track owner and NHRA viewpoint. What’s the Pro Stock bottom line? What does Pro Stock bring in vs. what does it cost? What does it do that “moves the ball” in a positive direction for NHRA? They have made changes and comments that lead me to believe they are looking at their bottomline and especially the Pro Stock bottomline. It’s what track owners and NHRA must do to be the astute businessmen I believe are now running NHRA and their national event tracks.

Using Chris McGaha’s Pro Stock purse payout and “guessing” the Pro Stock runner up purse at $9k, we get $20k for the win, $9k RU, $7k for semifinals, $5k for Ľ finals and $4k for first round loser. Then NHRA is paying a 2018 Pro Stock purse of $75k for each national event.

Knowing that multiday tickets are discounted and while seat prices are all over the road, the cheap seats are typically around $55.00 each. But reserved seats can more than double that. A simple reserved seat at the Route 66 race is $65 each. It would probably be fair to assume the average ticket price is at least $50.00 each.

Using those numbers, if NHRA pulled a much smoother than P/S Truck cancelation of Pro Stock and as a result, 1500 ticket buyers quit buying tickets solely because of it, NHRA’s bottom line apparently wouldn’t feel a thing. Yes, this is simplistic and TV marketing and their related expenses and other Pro Stock only income and expenses would need to be looked at too.

Another issue for them to agree on would be, what would replace Pro Stock? Would Pro Mod or Factory Stock? Or do they not replace Pro Stock at all and shorten the day(‘s) to get closer to the typical event standard of 3.5 hours that the average person wants to spend at a game or event. (And maybe have people in the stands for the Nitro Class finals.)

There are other Pro Stock expenses for the track owners and NHRA. Technical staff salaries, management and clerical time, pit space, trophies, announcing and marketing time used for Pro Stock. Pulling out the specific Pro Stock income and expenses from the full racing program would be hard to determine, but is very much required for astute business management (and justify those big salaries everybody likes to complain about).

This is why my ears perk up when I hear that NHRA wanted to reduce Pro Stock to an 8 car field for 1/3 of their 2018 season. And when they went through the difficulty of announcing rule changes for: EFI, windshield banner, parking backwards, shorter wheelie bars, no scoops, etc. 3 years ago. When something is going great and your making money because of it, you don’t screw with it. NHRA is already tasked with making rule changes every time racers find a new way to hurt themselves. The only other reason changes are made is to improve the spectator show and therefore the bottomline. (Countdown anyone?)

This is why they’ve gotten the Pro Stock owner’s attention and those owners like Mr. McGaha, Mr. Freeman and others are responding in a proper attempt to keep their class valuable and alive. This is very interesting to watch and see how it will play out. It's one time I'm glad I don't have a vested interest either way. But seeing both sides is why I keep commenting even though some may think I'm against Pro Stock. I'm not. It's a very interesting and difficult position that those with vested interests in Pro Stock have found themselves in. Both car owners, driver and crews and NHRA and the track owners.
First thing I didn’t create this problem I have only been here very short time. Also I have state many times to you and others and again if you your getting something for free or your receiving pay for it why would you ever pay for it. They stop paying us there not going to pay anybody else except fuel cars. This is reason pay to play is never going to be a viable future.
But it’s like I stated if your leg or arm is infected and needs to be removed you don’t cut one finger off or toe. I look at how much these guys keep cutting back at nhra but keep having pretty good crowds. It’s like the whole track prep deal I’m rasing the bull**** flag on that it’s all about cutting expenses plain and simple. Fans better get ready cause I have been hearing rumblings of the races going to two day events. Something tells me a two day pass will probably still cost what a 3 day cost. Tell me how that makes your bottom line look. Awesome on paper until you get the real result.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-23-2018
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
pay to play is never going to be a viable future.
NHRA P/M is on its 14 or 15th year of it. When will we start see it start to fail?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-23-2018
Mac4264 Mac4264 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
NHRA P/M is on its 14 or 15th year of it. When will we start see it start to fail?
When pro stock is gone. Just like someone said above what are you going to do for fast door cars at the 10 races there not there if pro stock isn’t. Who decides who or why one group would race at Seattle for example. Or who goes to the 4 in a row races if they share time with someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-23-2018
a21stud a21stud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
When pro stock is gone. Just like someone said above what are you going to do for fast door cars at the 10 races there not there if pro stock isn’t. Who decides who or why one group would race at Seattle for example. Or who goes to the 4 in a row races if they share time with someone else.
That's why I figure NHRA wanted Pro Stock to drop to 18 races. Some races would have Pro Stock and others Pro Mod. Indy, Winters, World Finals, the Gators and two more with both. Maybe use Factor Stock too and only use the other Sportsman classes when they are seriously cost effective. The class either brings in a paying crowd to see it like nitro or it becomes "pay to play" in some way.

Get the "show" costs down and under full control is good for the bottomline and the strong accounting types like Peter Clifford watch the bottomline.

Not saying I want this, just saying I bet they are looking at it and any other way to increase profits. Either by reducing costs or promoting programs that increase ticket sales.
__________________
.
a21stud only refers to the more common 21 stud flathead motors early drag racers coveted before the Chy. Hemi and sbc came along.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-23-2018
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
When pro stock is gone. Just like someone said above what are you going to do for fast door cars at the 10 races there not there if pro stock isn’t. Who decides who or why one group would race at Seattle for example. Or who goes to the 4 in a row races if they share time with someone else.
Why would the demise of P/S spell doom for P/M?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-23-2018
Mac4264 Mac4264 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 263
Default

Also looked at 10 years ago at what kind of change over its had in personnel. Looks like about 2-3 guys are originally still around campaigning cars. Some are crew chiefs or in other classes. This change over is what has gotten pro stock once it happened to pro stock it was like where did everyone go. So question for pro mod guys is what caused these guys to leave. Pro mod can learn a lot for there true long term survival by looking at pro stock. But if everyone acts like there’s no tomorrow they will be doomed worse then pro stock.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-23-2018
Mac4264 Mac4264 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Why would the demise of P/S spell doom for P/M?
Guess I assumed you could see someone would need to fill the void. Pro mod wants to switch from pay to play to get paid. So 24 races it is for them.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-23-2018
Yvonne* Yvonne* is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
Also looked at 10 years ago at what kind of change over its had in personnel. Looks like about 2-3 guys are originally still around campaigning cars. Some are crew chiefs or in other classes. This change over is what has gotten pro stock once it happened to pro stock it was like where did everyone go. So question for pro mod guys is what caused these guys to leave. Pro mod can learn a lot for there true long term survival by looking at pro stock. But if everyone acts like there’s no tomorrow they will be doomed worse then pro stock.
I think everybody is learning from Pro Stock, not just Pro Mod. And nobody in PM is acting like there's no tomorrow. Broad statement with zero factual basis. I'm sorry but I dislike the "sky is falling" arguments that have no basis. The PM series has grown from 2001 precisely because they have done and continue to do what NOBODY in Pro Stock will do. You don't like pay to play? You doing it right now! You aren't making a dime. Let's be real here.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-23-2018
goneracin goneracin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
That's why I figure NHRA wanted Pro Stock to drop to 18 races. Some races would have Pro Stock and others Pro Mod. Indy, Winters, World Finals, the Gators and two more with both. Maybe use Factor Stock too and only use the other Sportsman classes when they are seriously cost effective. The class either brings in a paying crowd to see it like nitro or it becomes "pay to play" in some way.

Get the "show" costs down and under full control is good for the bottomline and the strong accounting types like Peter Clifford watch the bottomline.

Not saying I want this, just saying I bet they are looking at it and any other way to increase profits. Either by reducing costs or promoting programs that increase ticket sales.
nhra wasnt dropping PS to 18 races. they were dropping it to an 8 car field at 6 of the 24. So its still 24, but now half of the cars that qualify at 16 wont at 6. Whos gonna show up for that? if they dropped it to 18 total races, with 16 cars at all 18 that would be fine IMO. But cutting "select" races to 8 cars qualified is a joke
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.