CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 3 Weeks Ago

I agree. I love the class. I don't get into the discussions because they go in the same circles. It is literally the same "money, pay to play, we had a sponsor, shorten the schedule, factory stock is more important" posts in EVERY single thread. It's fun to see how many different ways everyone can re-type the same comment. Its like politics. No matter what you'll never get someone who is so far to one side to ever reason with or switch to the other.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
I’m lost. Your right don’t pay entry but not paying anything else maybe a hard card fee at the first of the year. So need explaintion on where the hidden fee is that they are getting me for that covers the purse money. Guess I’m comparing it to real pro mods fee. The racers pay this and another racer has injected funds into it and nhra takes there cut and then the purse money comes from this. For the record don’t think me and few other teams ever got totally asked about the 18 races. I had lots of fans come by my trailer and complain about this. Also just like they never told us directly the purse was being cut so that was never a negotiated deal it was like here you go. Money doesn’t fix everything, your right so why does it always come down to money.
You know Chris, a lot of us started out racing Friday Night Cash Bash. Throw in $25-50 bucks and everybody raced for the pot with no shame involved. I don't think I could name a single racer who hasn't put into a purse in one form or another. I'm not sure this is the Hill-of-Principle-Worth-Dying-On that you may think it is. And I'm sure you're correct that most of the PS teams did not get consulted about the changes but don't wait to be asked is my advice. They obviously listened to a few because the request to keep 24 came from somewhere.

Quote:
Cause we would be the only pro class with a shoot out race and the pay would have been bigger then fuels shootout race by long shot. We can start there. For every pro stock hater I come across there’s a pro stock fan. Just seems the haters seem to be more vocal at times on social media. Starting to think that at some point there girlfriends ran off with some pro stock racers lmao.
Maybe you guys are talking to the wrong people. Why not go to some of the TF teams and strike a deal? They get a sponsor and you get a sponsor and do a specialty shootout race then sell it to NHRA. If NHRA sees the TF teams will get paid too alongside PS they could be interested. You both are part of the same series, why not be allies in the quest for better purses?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
I don't know if it's gotten better but there was a period when some MFG's just didn't pay. Racers would have to hound them relentlessly only to still often come up empty handed... and the "HRA's" were of no help to collect. I knew a racer that had a "board of shame" in his shop and trailer.
I've heard similar stories as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Well said.
Thank you! You're "man up" comment in the Year of Woman was hilarious!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Cause we would be the only pro class with a shoot out race and the pay would have been bigger then fuels shootout race by long shot.

But I'm not suggesting big purse shoots-out now am I? A series sponsor(s) is a completely different deal.

For every pro stock hater I come across there’s a pro stock fan.

Well consider me a P/S fan that hates what the class has become.... mostly at the fault of the racers themselves.

Just seems the haters seem to be more vocal at times on social media. Starting to think that at some point there girlfriends ran off with some pro stock racers lmao

Yeah. That's it. Whatever. That sort of decorum goes a long way in solution solving.

Unless racers in the P/S class put more skin in the game than "just" bringing their cars and operations to races fully knowing the current purses won't come close to covering expenses, nothing will change for the better for them. Just sit back, whine about what all is wrong while doing nothing to better things is a helping to solve nothing. There's a successfull model that can be followed, it's called RPM. They've been proactive and it's netting great results.

Sometimes when someone isn't doing their job as youd like them too (NHRA bringing money to your class), you've (P/S teams collectively) got to out and do it yourself.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Cause we would be the only pro class with a shoot out race and the pay would have been bigger then fuels shootout race by long shot. We can start there. For every pro stock hater I come across there’s a pro stock fan. Just seems the haters seem to be more vocal at times on social media. Starting to think that at some point there girlfriends ran off with some pro stock racers lmao.
I'm confused- why in the world would there be any Pro Stock haters? I'm one who has strong opinions about several aspects of it, but HATE it? How the hell can anyone, as a fan, hate the class? What's not to love about a 6.50/210 all-motor doorslammer, competing in races that are often decided by inches?

I wish other manufacturers would support the class so we'd see something besides Camaros (which have also just about taken over PM and most of TAFC). I sort of miss the scoops. I wish NHRA paid the racers more money and obviously the racers do. I wish sponsors could see a more lucrative ROI so we'd have more of them. I wish it didn't cost you guys 7 figures a year to be a top-5 challenger.

But I still love the cars and the class...a class I've followed since the very first Pro Stock event.. and I would absolutely hate to see it vanish. As much as I love watching the wild and crazy PM's, they won't ever replace PS - at least not in my mind.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Starting to think that at some point there girlfriends ran off with some pro stock racers lmao.
Well, since there are barely 16 pro stock racers, that's not really a lot of people.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

My wild guess is that if 60,000 unique spectators attended a typical NHRA national event, no more than 3,000 of them would say Pro Stock was the main class they came to see.

Any businessman wouldn’t want to lose 5% of their sales …unless that area of their business cost them more than 5% to produce. Only NHRA knows what the real numbers for Pro Stock either really are or what they perceive them to be. But 3 years ago NHRA made many unusual changes for reasons other than safety, and that is not their norm. NHRA suggestion of dropping to 8 car fields and then actually lowering the Pro Stock payout speaks poorly of their regard for their Pro Stock show.

Businessmen don’t lower salaries for staff producing quality, profit making work. They do for areas of business that they deem non-profit making. It’s not the Pro Stock teams lack of effort, it’s probably not that it’s almost a “Camaro only” show. It’s my guess that it falls back to the fact that not enough “casual ticket buyers” run to the seats when it’s on the line. NHRA apparently doesn’t think their Pro Stock show is pulling its weight in ticket sales or fan desire.

The fans that love Pro Stock could be compared to the people that love the Winter Olympic’s Curling Competition. They really enjoy it and know all the rules and who the best players are. But the Olympics use their biggest stadiums for speed skating and hockey. The Curling Competition doesn’t need many bleacher seats. (I would rather have picked a better event than Curling to compare Pro Stock to, but when I thought of Figure Skating and the idea of Anderson, Line, McGaha and even EE in a tutu, well it was just too much. I bet in some way, Curling Teams “pay to play”.)

I hope Mr. Freeman and the other Pro Stock teams can find a “fire burnout” or other novice spectator “wow” factor to become fan favorites again. The last Pro Stock “wow” factor I can remember involved the Dodge Boys and “scoop launching”.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Racing for $20k is a joke.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sorry can’t quote everyone at once. But let’s start with simple facts do we all agree that to be a professional means you get paid correct? Had a professional plumber at my house last two days don’t think he paid me to be here. So yes this is a line in the sand for me when I consider my deal between me and nhra and should not pay them or bring the sponsor etc. If I had any sponsor money at all I would total be making money doing this. I have said many times if baseball, football, etc. players started paying nfl or mlb to play where does it leave them. We can agree to disagree on this but it’s fact for me and no changing my mind set on it.

So that brings whole other deal is it entertainment or not. Well you can’t have this both ways. I will say since I started in 12 it was hard for me and still is that it’s entertainment. Ok so name me one other sport or entertainment the entertainers pay to entertain an audience. So yes if you consider my expense to field a car yes I’m paying to entertain you again stated on here before I should still have some kind of say as to what is going on. Which if we count our expense then I’m not an entertainer or professional at all right. So hey if nhra wants to pay me and others enough money I will throw cars and equipment in the trash every year and we will start with new and we can race whatever you guys desire. If you can’t see this we still agree to disagree.

And last and a repeat Ford has been nonexistent really in pro stock specially if you take Glidden out and who is Ford. That’s a fact not saying to start anything it’s just true. Mopar has competed and won championships they have been there and really tried at points in time. So these guys lack to compete specially Ford is who’s fault. When you guys say it’s the racers fault I take offense to it. Specially when I can remember mopar telling me in the staging lanes they had no room for me under there banner they wanted 4 cars and had no room for 5. At the same point Ford was trying again at pro stock and failing miserably cause they choose the wrong head to use. But this is the team owners and racers fault for these incompetent style decisions which there are many stories like this. Heard and read the rules just favor the GM. They do it’s 500ci 4.900 bore spacing that’s really the basis to the whole engine. I’m dumb explain to me in detail so I understand how the rules favor the GM head.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
My wild guess is that if 60,000 unique spectators attended a typical NHRA national event, no more than 3,000 of them would say Pro Stock was the main class they came to see.

Any businessman wouldn’t want to lose 5% of their sales …unless that area of their business cost them more than 5% to produce. Only NHRA knows what the real numbers for Pro Stock either really are or what they perceive them to be. But 3 years ago NHRA made many unusual changes for reasons other than safety, and that is not their norm. NHRA suggestion of dropping to 8 car fields and then actually lowering the Pro Stock payout speaks poorly of their regard for their Pro Stock show.

Businessmen don’t lower salaries for staff producing quality, profit making work. They do for areas of business that they deem non-profit making. It’s not the Pro Stock teams lack of effort, it’s probably not that it’s almost a “Camaro only” show. It’s my guess that it falls back to the fact that not enough “casual ticket buyers” run to the seats when it’s on the line. NHRA apparently doesn’t think their Pro Stock show is pulling its weight in ticket sales or fan desire.

The fans that love Pro Stock could be compared to the people that love the Winter Olympic’s Curling Competition. They really enjoy it and know all the rules and who the best players are. But the Olympics use their biggest stadiums for speed skating and hockey. The Curling Competition doesn’t need many bleacher seats. (I would rather have picked a better event than Curling to compare Pro Stock to, but when I thought of Figure Skating and the idea of Anderson, Line, McGaha and even EE in a tutu, well it was just too much. I bet in some way, Curling Teams “pay to play”.)

I hope Mr. Freeman and the other Pro Stock teams can find a “fire burnout” or other novice spectator “wow” factor to become fan favorites again. The last Pro Stock “wow” factor I can remember involved the Dodge Boys and “scoop launching”.
It’s already stated on here it takes 1500 65 dollar ticket buyers to cover our purse. So your giving us plenty of wiggle room. This is the real problem how do we judge or really know what the value of all classes are other then the fuel classes. I have had people come to the pits and talk before that never go see a car go down the track they just like watching teams work happens more times then never. I keep saying it’s just a line item on a spreadsheet much like the track prep and these guys don’t really have values that each are worth they are just scratching line items off. Will say it again they are going to scratch off a whole day off a race weekend. But my gut tells me the tickets will still equal the same as a three day ticket.