CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 1 Day Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Smith View Post
You are aware very few people make money playing football.
Yup and the ones that do apparently can't keep any money they do make.

We had a big time scout speak at the local high school about two years back and he said that less than 2% of ALL athletes in the entire country will get scholarships. And most of those are only partial. While its vital kids learn how to play on a team, I know parents who spend TENS of thousands of dollars (not counting surgeries if they get hurt) so their kid can play a sport that they will never get paid to play and/or will likely not play in their adult years. Drag racing gets bagged on a lot because of the money involved but could you justify that kind of money to kick around a soccer ball for five years? And yet nobody bats an eye at that.
Old 1 Day Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Weinstein View Post
When I was a senior in high school in 2009-2010 my school would have us meet with our guidance counselor once a semester on our plans for after high school and it was amazing how much they tried to shove four year colleges & community colleges down everyone's throats and scoffed at the idea of trade schools. At the time I really wanted to go to an automotive school or welding school because I knew good and well if I tried to go to college my ass would have flunked out within a semester because I have always been a hands on learner, my grades in high school showed that, my best classes were hands on classes like physics, chemistry and music arts.
It got to the point where I was told by my counselor that my quality of life when older would be much much less than someone who went to college.

It shows how many kids my age were fed that plate of crap because of how many jobs are open or given to people who are un-qualified because many who would fit in skilled industries were sent down the wrong vocational path. I was lucky because I had a family that supported my idea and even encouraged me to go the trade school route. Even my sister who graduated from college with an interior design degree and minor in business in 2009 (who didnt find a job in her industry until last year) supported my idea.

Its funny because of my group of friends from high school I still hang out with all but one of us went the trade school route and we are all doing pretty good for ourselves without major school debt, the other is stuck with 30k in college loans and a job that pays 40k a year.

As far as my age group and wanting to race I believe there are a lot of us out there would love to race but our situations and or jobs wont allow us. I know of a few people I went to school with who have stated they would love to race whether on dirt tracks or drag racing but just cant because of starting out in life. I personally have wanted to build a car and run in bracket or super street for a few years but it is tough because you cant store a race car at an apartment so I would have to wait until I buy a home to fulfill that which is a couple years down the road. Plus I work nights and weekends so if I build a car to race I would only get to race maybe 2-3 times a year if I was lucky and thats if I dont go do some fool thing like get married and have a kid (luckily with the way dating is going those chances are pretty slim)
Good post! There are many people with similar stories about guidance counselors, unfortunately. Don't give up on your goal to race. Everybody's lives have different seasons and your turn will come.
Old 19 Hours Ago

My thoughts on why the many intelligent car guys don’t take up drag racing.
(Understand that the highly talented, experienced racer that uses the items mentioned here are NOT doing anything wrong, they are just using what the track rules allow to their advantage. This is a track issue and not a racer issue.)
1. Bracket Racing Buybacks:
A. Buybacks help the experienced racer when they make their rare mistake as the newbie has to beat the best twice to continue on.
B. Buybacks help the new guy pay and lose twice in one race as they will rarely get another newbie in 1st or 2nd round. (Duck hunting is prevalent in the early rounds of bracket racing.)
C. If you’re new and don’t buy back, your chances of getting past the first round are significantly less than 50-50.

2. Bracket Racing Double entry.
A. New guy needs to double entry to get as many hits at the tree as the double entered track heavy hitters do who already “know where the tree is” and just want that extra edge to get into the money rounds.
B. Now the new guy pays twice to lose early or is up against guys who have much more track info to work with.
C. If your new and don’t double enter, your chances of getting past the track’s heavy hitters is significantly reduced.

3. Buybacks and Double Entry either double or quadruple the expenses of the new guy learning bracket racing.

4. The New Guy in Heads-Up Eliminators:
A. To compete competitively, the new guy must have every trick part plus the tools, trailer and support equipment of the experienced racers or be regulated to non-qualifier or first round duck status.
B. To compete competitively, the new guy must enlist the help of seasoned professionals in car preparation, tuning at the track and someone who knows the in’s and out’s of the particular class raced. (Or again, be willing to go years of financially supporting first round duck training.)
C. There are no Heads Up classes that are inexpensive anymore as all allow almost limitless aftermarket parts for every function of the car including supporting equipment like stacker trailers with hoists, weather stations, ET predictors, etc.

Therefore, any serious new racer that has spent the time checking out drag racing knows how tough it will be to have much (if any) success without expensive quality parts, expensive experienced support and/or a rare large amount of natural skill and many, many entry fees for training.

The way to get new racers to take that heavy plunge into either heads up or bracket racing is for their local track to protect the newbie with their own class.

A. No buybacks in a Newbie Class.
B. No double entry in the Newbie Class.
C. Don’t allow Pro or Super Pro Entries to enter in the Newbie Class.
D. Tracks need to keep track of the Newbie Class wins and boot the newly skilled out after 6 wins or 10 wins/ru.

This would allow new racers to have some success before they are thrown to you wolves out there. It would allow them to buy the tools and parts slower without getting their butts handed to them every week for a year('s).

Every track in the country knows their Sportsman class heavy hitters who make a nice paying second job of killing off the tracks new racers. They are the talented guys who the track must issue a W2 year after year. They aren’t doing anything wrong and are just following the track’s rules to get every advantage. But they are the guys who push the newbie drag racer to bowling, fishing, golf, etc. where they can have some success.
Old 18 Hours Ago

Having been a teacher and Department Head in a Regonal Occupation Center for 23+ years from 1968 to 1992 we could see that things were starting to have major changes as far as vocational training goes. Along with that Auto Mechanics became auto Technicians. Auto Machinest - no longer needed in many numbers. Engine overhaulers / rebuilders no longer needed in many numbers. Beside things like brakes (which by the way are much more sophisticated now) the emphasis is on emission systems and electronics. Any car or truck after the mid to late 1990’s won’t even pass a smog check if the transmission throws a code in California. The point is the automotive trades don’t lend themselves to performance for very many prospects any more. In Drag Racing in most cases there is no correlation between what training is available in schools and what is needed at the track. The only rear wheel production vehicles around that are affordable are trucks. While Pro Stock cars are engineering marvels the reality is they are refined 50 year old technology. Going to “electronic” fuel systems was late 1970’s early 80’s design with massaging. Almost a joke. Most of the people we are talking about here to carry on the sport were not even born back then. Yes - there is a lot of local track racing for this demographic that has today’s technology with power adders and electronics, but Pro Stock is not a carrot dangling out there.