CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 07-13-2015

A fresh start. I hope Fox Sports 1 is an improvement. Maybe more live coverage.
Old 07-13-2015

Unless major changes are made to the NHRA show what difference would it make what channel its on? I still think MAV is good place for NHRA to rebuild and create a better show to attract new fans. Only the few hardcore fans care what time and what channel NHRA is on.
Old 07-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyman View Post
Good news...However, Probably end up with the same Ole commentators and it will be the same old blah blah blah! hope not though, I really hope it gets better.
Why bitch about ESPN...? ESPN's coverage of our events has been excellent! -- Why are there so many complaints? -- Sure, the start time may be off by up to 30 mins, but we should be used to that by now. Otherwise, the coverage is great. Why all the gripes...?
Old 07-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill03E View Post
Those that complain about the comentary, what could they do better?I am curious as I think it is mostly fine.
I think many ask too much, there is only so much they can do. I can not really think of any way to improve it either.
Where should I start....

How bout' we go back to what most recognize as the 'Glory Days' of NHRA TV....Dave Mac and Steve Evans...

Why did this work out so well? Primarily because fans that attended the races heard Dave Mac on the PA for each round of Top Fuel, FC and Pro Stock. He was a recognizable voice who knew his stuff and clearly articulated the entire scope of what was going on track. Add some color from guys like Sid Waterman and others in the tower, and you had some very educational and stimulating stuff.

The TV deal was 100% Mac on the mic - down to Steve on the Top End. It worked very well.

Now, how bout' this concept. NHRA is going to SELF PRODUCE the new TV package. So - why not broadcast what is already being piped over the PA with THOSE personalities that REALLY KNOW THEIR STUFF....

Put Reinhart on the PA - main broadcast. He has the charisma, talent and knowledge to keep people interested...FAR SUPERIOR to Reiff in my humble opinion. Plus - he is the voice of NHRA now....(congrats Alan...you've earned it...run with it...)

Have the NHRA guys like English, Brian, Nate, Joe Castello floating (3) per race who could split time on the top end and roving the pits for insights. Hire a color guy (like Mike Dunn from ESPN) - I think Castello would be an exceptional roving reporter - as would Brian L...put English and Nate on the Top end and starting line, and you've got a pretty solid (AND HIGHLY ARTICULATE, EDUCATED and PASSIONATE) team....
Old 07-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
If it continues to be the john force dog and pony show, I'll CONTINUE NOT WATCHING IT. Plain and simple.
And you all call ME the Force hater.
Old 07-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
Where should I start....

How bout' we go back to what most recognize as the 'Glory Days' of NHRA TV....Dave Mac and Steve Evans...

Why did this work out so well? Primarily because fans that attended the races heard Dave Mac on the PA for each round of Top Fuel, FC and Pro Stock. He was a recognizable voice who knew his stuff and clearly articulated the entire scope of what was going on track. Add some color from guys like Sid Waterman and others in the tower, and you had some very educational and stimulating stuff.

The TV deal was 100% Mac on the mic - down to Steve on the Top End. It worked very well.

Now, how bout' this concept. NHRA is going to SELF PRODUCE the new TV package. So - why not broadcast what is already being piped over the PA with THOSE personalities that REALLY KNOW THEIR STUFF....

Put Reinhart on the PA - main broadcast. He has the charisma, talent and knowledge to keep people interested...FAR SUPERIOR to Reiff in my humble opinion. Plus - he is the voice of NHRA now....(congrats Alan...you've earned it...run with it...)

Have the NHRA guys like English, Brian, Nate, Joe Castello floating (3) per race who could split time on the top end and roving the pits for insights. Hire a color guy (like Mike Dunn from ESPN) - I think Castello would be an exceptional roving reporter - as would Brian L...put English and Nate on the Top end and starting line, and you've got a pretty solid (AND HIGHLY ARTICULATE, EDUCATED and PASSIONATE) team....
wheres the like button tim
Old 07-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
Where should I start....

Well said Tim: I'll add...
Fox Sports is well known for their technology innovation. Most works, some doesn't but they aren't afraid to push the envelope. I had a closeup view of what they did for the USOPEN this year (and they did get panned by conservative golf fans...some) and some of it will stick. Hopefully FS1 will push NHRA to allow more / different camera angles. STREAM THE PROGRAM!!!

There are, as Tim relates, people who live and breathe the sport AND who are articulate. One thing that's hard to do in any sport is bring in new people with details and features that old timers find boring. So new spins on stuff we'd say "so what...move on"...is a challenge. I don't need to see 2 minute super slomo explosions put to classical music anymore.

I hope (and I think we will) at this time next year we'll be giving FS1 at least a B+...with them working to an A. We're a hard core group of a few dozen fans...there are 500K others watching and we need to at least double that.

I wonder what the chance of a FS1 specialty race with big $$ offered to kick off their efforts?
Old 07-14-2015

Talking

A few thoughts about FS1. First of all the glory days of NHRA happened in a time a world away from today. Back then you didn't have smart phones and tablets, or streaming. The Internet, cable and satellite TV were all in their infancy or didn't exist. There wasn't a multitude of fringe sports vying for consumer dollars and interest the way there are today. When I was growing up like I suspect a lot of people here were, there were 3 channels on my TV. Most of them in black and white. Very limited options. As I got older and more options became available some older things stuck and some newer things replaced older things. The world changes. People now have a plethora of things to choose from. It reminds me of EBay. When a million people are trying to sell the same product, no one makes any "real" money. It's tough out there now.

For any one hoping that FS1 has a streaming option, they do. It's called Fox Sports Go. It's available for Apple and Android. However, The word "Go" is the key word. Similar to other streaming apps it only mirrors what is being shown live at the time. There are no archival or replay options. If the race is being shown at 4pm. and you want to watch it live like you can on ESPN3, there is no option for that. And according to quite a few consumer reviews for both platforms, it doesn't work very well. I had always hoped that the NHRA would find a way to stream each race on their own. Maybe charge $5-10 per race. But they can't seem to even get their mobile app to work on a consistent basis, so I don't see this happening.

My big question is will the NHRA still be paying for broadcast time? Because it seems to me that if you have to pay you will always be at the mercy of the broadcaster.

The other problem I see might be the overall availability for people to get FS1. I know it doesn't come with the basic UVerse package. You need a higher tier to get it. And their mobile app doesn't have anywhere near the list of providers required to use it as WatchESPN does meaning I wonder how many providers even carry FS1. But I assume that the NHRA has already looked into all of this if they are going to make the move.

For the fun of it I looked at next Sunday's schedule for FS1 and found that a NASCAR pre race program ran until noon. Followed by a sports car race, followed by a monster truck show, followed by tons of soccer. There was some free time around 2am.
Old 07-14-2015

ESPN has always been, first and foremost, a stick-and-ball network. The only exception is their NASCAR coverage.

FS1 seems to have a different vision.

FS1 does an excellent job with F1. They have a team on air that is made up of an ex-driver (David Hobbs), an ex-F1 mechanic (Steve Matchet), and a very good commentator (Bob Varsha). They also have their own guy in the pits.

If they do 1/2 the job with NHRA coverage that they do with F1, it will be 100 times better than what ESPN has been doing.
Old 07-14-2015

Exciting news! For on-air talent, I'd like to see Alan have a larger role and Dunn be the face in the pits while everyone else gets the boot. It will be interesting to see who earns the lead announcing role.