CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 08-06-2015

Didnt Jason and Greg have really safe and really fast cars with traction control? We are not talking about charging the shock fluid anymore, its all performance based now, take away timing and fuel.
Old 08-06-2015

Get an engineer from MotoGp and they would understand traction control. Traction control should be banned, its a recipe for the same cookie cutter ps we have now. Let the driver/tuneup determine that, not an ecm.
Old 08-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
A lot of people don't understand how it works.
How exactly does it work? I figured it combined a driveshaft sensor with whatever controls the ignition timing, retarding it according to the degree of traction loss.
Old 08-06-2015

There are a ton of ways to set it up. Rate of acceleration, driveshaft to ground speed, rate of engine rpm, ect... It can pull timing and or fuel, cut spark and on drive by wire setups actually close the throttle if needed..

It does not belong in PS. Its a tuners class and the best tuners should win. Not the ones who need a "crutch" to help them with the car.

The problem is with EFI it WILL be used... You can guarantee someone will figure out how to hack the ECU and if done right its undetectable.
Old 08-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10KLZZ71S View Post
Get an engineer from MotoGp and they would understand traction control. Traction control should be banned, its a recipe for the same cookie cutter ps we have now. Let the driver/tuneup determine that, not an ecm.
Exactly, I thought the driver was the traction control.
Old 08-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp 670 View Post
There are a ton of ways to set it up. Rate of acceleration, driveshaft to ground speed, rate of engine rpm, ect... It can pull timing and or fuel, cut spark and on drive by wire setups actually close the throttle if needed..

It does not belong in PS. Its a tuners class and the best tuners should win. Not the ones who need a "crutch" to help them with the car.

The problem is with EFI it WILL be used... You can guarantee someone will figure out how to hack the ECU and if done right its undetectable.
I wonder how it would control tire shake? If you hire the right people with game you can keep them from hacking it.
Old 08-06-2015

Just let a freaking robot drive the car if TC is allowed.
Old 08-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp 670 View Post
There are a ton of ways to set it up. Rate of acceleration, driveshaft to ground speed, rate of engine rpm, ect... It can pull timing and or fuel, cut spark and on drive by wire setups actually close the throttle if needed.
Sounds like a lot of tuning to me. Lots of variables to play with.

The fact they won't be able to police it like you say tells me they ought to just allow it. Takes the "are they?" out of the equation. If they don't allow it, there's going to be constant speculation.
Old 08-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Poole View Post
Just let a freaking robot drive the car if TC is allowed.
Other than short shifting out of shake, exactly how differently could the cars be driven differently with or w/o tc?

Last edited by HEMI_guy; 08-07-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
How exactly does it work? I figured it combined a driveshaft sensor with whatever controls the ignition timing, retarding it according to the degree of traction loss.
You can consider that there is a "perfect run" on someones computer out there. Engine turning their top HP RPM's, each gear has a perfect rpm, the rear end and its ratio have a perfect turning distance for those tires. You keep all those lines on a graph constant and and you control the traction of the back tires.

But like I said with the Monte Carlo experiences, for the most part you feel under powered when the tires are slipping because its getting back to that line for that instant that I feel would slow cars down.

The Summit team allegedly had an extra wire going to their charged shock fluid that seemed to increase pressure to push the tire down when it was losing traction. It its true computer I see it losing time rather than making it quicker.