CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 11-01-2017
Administrator

Default RUMOR: Pro Stock Engines Will No Longer be Required to Match Car Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemaster View Post
Apparently you can now run a DRCE engine in your Ford and Dodge and it's OK.
Something along those lines is rumored......

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...uture-ps-rules

----------------------------
Old 11-01-2017

Are they changing the name of the class from
Pro Stock to No Stock?
Old 11-01-2017

Sounds like pro-mod
Old 11-01-2017

I'm always for saving a category that deserves it. But this proposal is competition eliminations. How short sighted.
Old 11-01-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfRacer View Post
How short sighted.
It is shortsighted if only the DRCE is the only alternative. Hopefully it allows engine builders like Sonny's, Dart, Proline, play with engines of their own design.

----------------------------
Old 11-01-2017

The recent talk of changing pretty much everything about Pro Stock has a very desperate feel to it.

As much as I do not want to see it go away, I'm afraid it's only a matter of time.
Old 11-01-2017

The NHRA is full of so many double standards...it is ridiculous.

Back when NHRA adjusted the rules for Pro Stock Motorcycle to make V-Twins competitive, many of the Suzuki riders felt the new engine specs for the V-Twins were unfair. Their fears proved to be right, as they've had to adjust the engine size of the I4 motors three different times to keep parity. Back in the day, the Suzuki guys wanted to run V-Twins in their bikes. The Suzuki TL1000R body utilized by some Suzuki teams is actually based on a V-Twin bike (no longer in production). The NHRA said no because the production Suzuki bike was a 90 degree DOHC V-Twin. The catch is, the motor available in the production V-Rod (you know, the body used by the V&H team) was also a 60 degree DOHC V-Twin. The rules called for a 60 degree pushrod V-Twin (standard HDs are 45 degree pushrod V-Twins). So the NHRA spec V-Twin motor does not match ANY production V-Twin, but a manufacturer was barred from running a V-Twin because that layout did not match any engine sold in there production lineup. Genius...

So now will NHRA allow the Suzuki folks to run their own V-Twin? Hell, if any motor combo can be used in and body in PS, why not extend those rules over to PSM?
Old 11-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
It is shortsighted if only the DRCE is the only alternative. Hopefully it allows engine builders like Sonny's, Dart, Proline, play with engines of their own design.
It might get something other than Camaros out on the track, but other than that, I'd have to agree. I'd vote to allow aftermarket engines, keeping to the basic rules of gasoline, N/A, 2-valve, no overhead camshafts and 500 inches. Keep the 10.5K limiter in place. Anything else goes.

And I may get ridiculed for this, but personally, I think they should be allowed to run any kind of N/A induction, be it the current EFI, toilets, dominators, whatever. PSM can run carbs or FI; why not PS?
Old 11-01-2017

Default Pro Stock Engines

Will this clear the way for Toyota and other manufactures to get involved if they wish? I'm glad they are doing something to try to save the class but would hate to see imports in Pro Stock.
Old 11-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveanygum View Post
Will this clear the way for Toyota and other manufactures to get involved if they wish? I'm glad they are doing something to try to save the class but would hate to see imports in Pro Stock.
The problem here is the only difference in all the brands now is the mailing address of the corporate headquarters. As far as parts, assembly and even design it is basically a world market. By this time next year it could easily be Volkswagen - Chrysler or Alpha Romero - Chrysler or whoever wants to stick their neck out and buy them from Fiat. As far as brand recognition goes besides a corporate logo decal what can "you or me" buy that was made for a P/S car that was actually manufactured by the factory? Since the factories are pulling out what happens with the Denver race and what incentive does Chevrolet have to keep advertising (like Indy) and spending money unless someone else jumps into the class? This is starting to sound like one hand clapping to have no competition between brands because right now it's just "Brand" (singular). The hard cold facts are that it is no longer the "Big 3" it's just three with only one participating.