CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe3w View Post
I'm not talking about the ARCA engines; I can clearly see they're LS-based. I'm talking about NHRA Pro Stock, and there isn't one GM part in any of those engines. Maybe GM-based from years past, or GM part numbers stamped on the heads and blocks, but that's it. Pretty sure you're aware of that, or at least you should be. Nothing else GM about the rest of the car, either. GM-BASED, yes. GM - no.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe3w View Post
Maybe, but I would imagine that they are building a couple hundred engines a year. So they get a price break on parts. I would think it cost them maybe $20K in parts per engine. Maybe I'm wrong?
Out here the K&N Pro West series (old Winston West) allows either a sealed spec engine (same for all bodies) or you can have your own engine, but the spec engine is cheaper than engine builders can build for someone and we can't compete with it price wise. There is a difference in a "Freshen Up" and a "Rebuild". The stuff I listed would be for a rebuild, but no one wants to have a crank or rod break - roller come apart or to pull the top off a valve (catastrophic) so you have to get the best stuff you can. There are only so many revolutions and missed shifts before these things are done. Also just like in any business individual parts can be purchased by someone, but you can't accept any liability from outside parts. When you go to a restaurant you don't bring your own steak and potato to have them cook for you and this is the same analogy as parts. There is no expectation of discounting parts just like when a car is taken to a Dealer for repair. There is a lot of overhead involved including having someone available at the races. Unfortunately it is expensive and really no way to cut cost any more.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
Yeah but that's big block that will survive HOURS of continuous use at over 7k RPM and go over 1,000 miles before a rebuild. How many drag-specific motors last 4,000+ passes?
Drag race passes, with the massive shock on the crank, rods and bearings are much more harsh than a relatively smooth continuous 7K rpm. I gotta wonder what all tyey replace on the $15K rebuild. Sure the rotating assembly, and valvetrain and they all hae to go on the dyno to verify power output, but again, the bulk they buy - wow. That's gotta be a fat profit margin! I know Illmor is about the top of the top..... but. I wonder if they let Roush bid on this deal and where they came in at.
Old 1 Day Ago

The NHRA doesn’t care about this class anymore. They are just making sure the racers are the ones responsible for its death. Not them. That way they will avoid another PS/T debacle. They will increase their marketing/push of F/SS, watch...
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintownterror View Post
The NHRA doesn’t care about this class anymore. They are just making sure the racers are the ones responsible for its death. Not them. That way they will avoid another PS/T debacle. They will increase their marketing/push of F/SS, watch...
Absolutely. The Bankruptcy word is swirling.