CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
Can you say Tantrums- they seem to be the new norm for a few privileged kids around here when it is in fact them who screwed up.
That's right. Speaking your mind doesn't make you special or manly because a two year old can also speak their mind. If you say something to make another look bad, what do you accomplish? Especially on national TV. I get that people don't want canned post race interviews but when did we start believing that an unscripted interview included discrediting others? That's not being "real", that's being spiteful.
Old 1 Week Ago

Wow. A lot of hate here for Steve Torrence. That's a shame. Obviously the guy is extremely passionate about his job and understandably frustrated to lose the championship after such a phenomenal season.

Consider this: Steve was an 11-time finalist with 8 wins. Brittany was a 6-time finalist with 4 wins. When the points are re-set for the countdown, the majority of your accomplishments during the first 18 races are nullified.

Similarly (and even a worse case) Ron Capps, a 12-time finalist with 8 wins lost out to Robert Hight, a 6-time finalist with 4 wins. Look at those numbers again... Yes, that's right -- Capps won twice as many races and placed second in twice as many races but did not get the championship trophy.

BTW, I am a big JFR fan with obviously nothing against Brittany Force or Robert Hight whatsoever and I congratulate them both for their successes. But deep down, doesn't it seem a bit unfair...? Torrence and Capps were more deserving of the championships, but both lost out after the points were reset.

Torrence himself admits that "It is what it is", and "I know why they do it...". He just couldn't help being pissed off about it -- as might we all be.

Put yourself in Steve's (or Ron's) place. Wouldn't you be frustrated too? I totally get it. And I agree with many of the racers who feel that the countdown points system needs to be re-configured.

Just my thoughts. Sorry if I offended anyone here. ~ Cheers to all ~ Happy Holidays from Mike in Boston.
Old 1 Week Ago

While I can appreciate truth being spoken, I did notice that there was one little sentence omitted from Steve. The one that goes....... I cut a .90 light against Antron.
Old 1 Week Ago

National TV, internet. It's all the same. If he reviewed it on yelp it would be ok. Everyone can see it. We criticize people all over the internet. That's ok right? I like what he did on TV. If their product sucks why not say it. Great interview. All the others suck. Besides Line's.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy96 View Post
While I can appreciate truth being spoken, I did notice that there was one little sentence omitted from Steve. The one that goes....... I cut a .90 light against Antron.
^ Bingo.
Could have been world champ if it weren't for this. Then again, maybe not.
He would have had to step up HIS game anyway as the 2016-world-champ-Antron was cutting a .04 the first 2 rounds. Steve actually went the other direction. His RT's all weekend were .06, .07, .06, .06, then a lazy .09 when he needed it the most.

2016 world champ: .05, .05, .06, .08, .04, .04, .06
2017 world champ: .08, .05, .08, .08, .08, .06, .06, .06

I consider the "Brake" (Q1) comment a wash as the newly crowned FC champ didn't even get in the show until Q4.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
When his brake drum fell apart on the starting line during Q4 he let everyone know this was the second time this part failed and that it was the parts manufactures problem and that they needed to do something about it.
Thank you.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcc9000 View Post
Wow. A lot of hate here for Steve Torrence. That's a shame. Obviously the guy is extremely passionate about his job and understandably frustrated to lose the championship after such a phenomenal season.

Consider this: Steve was an 11-time finalist with 8 wins. Brittany was a 6-time finalist with 4 wins. When the points are re-set for the countdown, the majority of your accomplishments during the first 18 races are nullified.

Similarly (and even a worse case) Ron Capps, a 12-time finalist with 8 wins lost out to Robert Hight, a 6-time finalist with 4 wins. Look at those numbers again... Yes, that's right -- Capps won twice as many races and placed second in twice as many races but did not get the championship trophy.

BTW, I am a big JFR fan with obviously nothing against Brittany Force or Robert Hight whatsoever and I congratulate them both for their successes. But deep down, doesn't it seem a bit unfair...? Torrence and Capps were more deserving of the championships, but both lost out after the points were reset.

Torrence himself admits that "It is what it is", and "I know why they do it...". He just couldn't help being pissed off about it -- as might we all be.

Put yourself in Steve's (or Ron's) place. Wouldn't you be frustrated too? I totally get it. And I agree with many of the racers who feel that the countdown points system needs to be re-configured.

Just my thoughts. Sorry if I offended anyone here. ~ Cheers to all ~ Happy Holidays from Mike in Boston.
I don't think anyone gets offended here, no worries!

However, I think all the racers should know by now after a decade of the Countdown that it is possible to have an 18 win season and still finish 10th in the points if you suck in the last 6. That is the rule. If you are so frustrated by it, go race somewhere else.
Old 1 Week Ago

I like Torrance and his take no prisoner attitude but the rules have been in place for awhile now and the Monster Team kicked ass when it mattered. The Dodgers had the best record in baseball this year but bombed in the World Series so are the Astros really the World Champions? The 2007 New England Patriots were 16-0 going into the Super Bowl and lost to a 10-6 New York Giants. Was it fair to the Patriots after working so hard all year and crushing the competition that the Giants are awarded the Super Bowl Trophy? It is what it is you can't cry about it when it doesn't go your way.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
I don't think anyone gets offended here, no worries!
However, I think all the racers should know by now after a decade of the Countdown that it is possible to have an 18 win season and still finish 10th in the points if you suck in the last 6. That is the rule. If you are so frustrated by it, go race somewhere else.
Which brings up the question - Isn't this the only format this guy has ever raced in? This is not about someone being upset that the format beat him it is about pushing the BLAME to anyone but himself. The reality is that it is not how you ran all year long, but how you finish when it counts. Look at it this way - If you have x amount of perfect clutch parts wouldn't you just position yourself to be able to have them when you needed them. Winning early is great, but winning when you need to is a smarter way to play the game given the parameters you have. Also:The early races at tracks that will be in the "playoffs" are a great way to build your database experimenting for later. In the end it was basically a situation where this guy choked under pressure and doesn't accept the consequences, it is not about political correctness. When you dish it out (Trash Talk) all year long you need to know that "The chickens eventually come back home to roost"!
Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcc9000 View Post
Wow. A lot of hate here for Steve Torrence. R
~ Cheers to all ~ Happy Holidays from Mike in Boston.
Pointing out that what someone said was unfounded or uncalled for is not "hate". Just want to clarify that. At least on my end. LOL Happy Holidays to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapnredfish View Post
National TV, internet. It's all the same. If he reviewed it on yelp it would be ok. Everyone can see it. We criticize people all over the internet. That's ok right? I like what he did on TV. If their product sucks why not say it. Great interview. All the others suck. Besides Line's.
He was angry about a part that broke on a Top Fuel car. Think about the absurdity of that for a minute. At that rate, he's going to mad A LOT. Bwahahahaha

Every single thing on a race car breaks at some point because the forces acting on said race car are always increasing because everybody always wants to go faster, including Torrence. This means everything is in a constant state of R&D basically. The manufacturers want to hear articulate feedback and they will bend over backwards to make their product better if you work with them. We've done this many times and its always been a win/win. We've had vendors come back to us and ask us to try new products and give feedback. You build a relationship with them and you both end up successful for it. Just saying, "your part sucks" is useless. I've also heard manuf. say that many times when someone is having a problem especially a repeated problem, the item is being improperly installed or the heat treating failed or other such flaw, you never know till its looked at. Simply blaming the vendor without follow through is worthless and it hurts people's businesses when you do that without producing actual facts. Its peoples jobs and livelihoods.