CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 1 Week Ago
Imm Man Imm Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,015
Default

Looks like we've fnally found a replacement for ****.
__________________
The Immokalee Experience!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 1 Week Ago
odspice14 odspice14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcc9000 View Post
Wow. A lot of hate here for Steve Torrence. That's a shame. Obviously the guy is extremely passionate about his job and understandably frustrated to lose the championship after such a phenomenal season.

Consider this: Steve was an 11-time finalist with 8 wins. Brittany was a 6-time finalist with 4 wins. When the points are re-set for the countdown, the majority of your accomplishments during the first 18 races are nullified.

Similarly (and even a worse case) Ron Capps, a 12-time finalist with 8 wins lost out to Robert Hight, a 6-time finalist with 4 wins. Look at those numbers again... Yes, that's right -- Capps won twice as many races and placed second in twice as many races but did not get the championship trophy.

BTW, I am a big JFR fan with obviously nothing against Brittany Force or Robert Hight whatsoever and I congratulate them both for their successes. But deep down, doesn't it seem a bit unfair...? Torrence and Capps were more deserving of the championships, but both lost out after the points were reset.

Torrence himself admits that "It is what it is", and "I know why they do it...". He just couldn't help being pissed off about it -- as might we all be.

Put yourself in Steve's (or Ron's) place. Wouldn't you be frustrated too? I totally get it. And I agree with many of the racers who feel that the countdown points system needs to be re-configured.

Just my thoughts. Sorry if I offended anyone here. ~ Cheers to all ~ Happy Holidays from Mike in Boston.
I used to like him. Loved the trash talking he did. However diminishing someone's accomplishment because you didn't perform. That's just being a Kyle Busch.

Both Nitro classes came down to a battle on the final day. Whichever driver went further won the championship.

Torrence seemed to let the pressure get to him. Made mistakes during qualifying and didn't execute as well as he needed to Sunday. Hight struggled even worse during qualifying but was able to overcome them and perform.

I'm sure Torrence would celebrate a championship in 2018 if he would have had to come from 2nd -10th and not feel bad at all for whoever entered the countdown in 1st. But it happens to him and it's welfare?

Heck it wasn't too long ago that the Champs would be Brittany and TJ based on winning Pomona

I'm glad that just like my other favorite sports hockey and baseball you not only have to perform well but you also have to perform well at the end of the season to be a champion. The old days of points over a whole season were great and could be more viewed as being more fair but the opposite side is someone could dominate early clinch the championship with a few races remaining fall on their face and perform horribly. I don't want to see champions crowNed while in a slump. I want them having to battle and having to be winNing rounds aLloyd the way to the last race. I've never seen the Stanley Cup won by a team that didn't score a goal in the game they hoisted the cup.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 1 Week Ago
a21stud a21stud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odspice14 View Post
I used to like him. Loved the trash talking he did. However diminishing someone's accomplishment because you didn't perform. That's just being a Kyle Busch.

Both Nitro classes came down to a battle on the final day. Whichever driver went further won the championship.

Torrence seemed to let the pressure get to him. Made mistakes during qualifying and didn't execute as well as he needed to Sunday. Hight struggled even worse during qualifying but was able to overcome them and perform.

I'm sure Torrence would celebrate a championship in 2018 if he would have had to come from 2nd -10th and not feel bad at all for whoever entered the countdown in 1st. But it happens to him and it's welfare?

Heck it wasn't too long ago that the Champs would be Brittany and TJ based on winning Pomona

I'm glad that just like my other favorite sports hockey and baseball you not only have to perform well but you also have to perform well at the end of the season to be a champion. The old days of points over a whole season were great and could be more viewed as being more fair but the opposite side is someone could dominate early clinch the championship with a few races remaining fall on their face and perform horribly. I don't want to see champions crowNed while in a slump. I want them having to battle and having to be winNing rounds aLloyd the way to the last race. I've never seen the Stanley Cup won by a team that didn't score a goal in the game they hoisted the cup.
You have a good point. I’ve disliked the countdown since inception partially due to the history of the sport. I just need to get over that as I see your point of the NBA, NFL, NHL and the MLB all using playoffs and it obviously works well for them. (The NFL has different problems today.)

I now realize my problem with the countdown is really that the non-countdown cars aren’t eliminated. They are still in the way as blockers and distractions. It would really be better racing if there were just 8 car countdown fields. Either run the other 8 cars separately or not at all.

Still have ten in the countdown where two won’t make the field at each of the six races. Now that’s pressure just like Height had when he was trying to get qualified in Q-4 at Pomona. But this would be every week. Stress like that makes for great entertainment. And it would make for a real champion who maybe didn't just get a little lucky with the ladder.

(Don't look for any hidden meaning in the ladder comment. I don't have any although I'm sure someone can find one.)
__________________
.
a21stud only refers to the more common 21 stud flathead motors early drag racers coveted before the Chy. Hemi and sbc came along.

Last edited by a21stud; 1 Week Ago at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 1 Week Ago
Thecapnredfish Thecapnredfish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
Pointing out that what someone said was unfounded or uncalled for is not "hate". Just want to clarify that. At least on my end. LOL Happy Holidays to you!




He was angry about a part that broke on a Top Fuel car. Think about the absurdity of that for a minute. At that rate, he's going to mad A LOT. Bwahahahaha

Every single thing on a race car breaks at some point because the forces acting on said race car are always increasing because everybody always wants to go faster, including Torrence. This means everything is in a constant state of R&D basically. The manufacturers want to hear articulate feedback and they will bend over backwards to make their product better if you work with them. We've done this many times and its always been a win/win. We've had vendors come back to us and ask us to try new products and give feedback. You build a relationship with them and you both end up successful for it. Just saying, "your part sucks" is useless. I've also heard manuf. say that many times when someone is having a problem especially a repeated problem, the item is being improperly installed or the heat treating failed or other such flaw, you never know till its looked at. Simply blaming the vendor without follow through is worthless and it hurts people's businesses when you do that without producing actual facts. Its peoples jobs and livelihoods.
I can see your take on it and like your way of thinking. Makes sense. I still prefer his interviews over Capps.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 1 Week Ago
kb301 kb301 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,337
Default

Seeing people get all offended about what he said makes me like him more. I really can't stand people who dance around issues and don't speak from the heart.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 1 Week Ago
zippster's Avatar
zippster zippster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 230
Default

Unapologetic Torrence Guns for 2018 TF Title. I really don't understand who he would need to apologize to. The problem with NHRA is they need to create something as opposed to copying something.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 1 Week Ago
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
Whatever backlash he got on social media he brought on himself. And hanging out a parts vendor during Pomona's broadcast was classless as well. If he's not careful the scorched earth surrounding that team is going to grow because he can't control his temper.
I'd just assmue he bomb and bomb hard next year, get discousaged and not come back.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 1 Week Ago
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
Can you say Tantrums- they seem to be the new norm for a few privileged kids around here when it is in fact them who screwed up.
Bingo. I don't know how anyone can't find tht annoying and abrasive. Pompous spoiled brats that have apparently never been told NO. Seldom, if ever had to face consequences for their actions. As I asked in another thread about this, wouldn't have been neat to have heard Tanner's dad or grandad in the back ground yell "Hey! You wanna drive this thing next year or not?" when he kicked the $250K race car? Acting passionate is one thing, being an effing punk is another.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 1 Week Ago
odspice14 odspice14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
You have a good point. Iíve disliked the countdown since inception partially due to the history of the sport. I just need to get over that as I see your point of the NBA, NFL, NHL and the MLB all using playoffs and it obviously works well for them. (The NFL has different problems today.)

I now realize my problem with the countdown is really that the non-countdown cars arenít eliminated. They are still in the way as blockers and distractions. It would really be better racing if there were just 8 car countdown fields. Either run the other 8 cars separately or not at all.

Still have ten in the countdown where two wonít make the field at each of the six races. Now thatís pressure just like Height had when he was trying to get qualified in Q-4 at Pomona. But this would be every week. Stress like that makes for great entertainment. And it would make for a real champion who maybe didn't just get a little lucky with the ladder.

(Don't look for any hidden meaning in the ladder comment. I don't have any although I'm sure someone can find one.)
Am I understanding correctly that he format you described you would like would have a 2 car field at Pomona, 4 car field at Vegas and 6 the race before, and so on? I kinda get where you are going since the other sports eliminate teams but I don't think a race consisting of 1 round would draw fans in. Now maybe if they did something like seed the countdown drivers and each of them run a best of 7 passes elimination style format each weekend and then figure out some sort of race for the non contenders so they have a reason to still show up and race then maybe we are onto something. Just imagine if say 8 qualify for the countdown and the first elimination race all goes to the 7 rounds against each other in just one class how many passes fans would get to see
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 1 Week Ago
a21stud a21stud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odspice14 View Post
Am I understanding correctly that he format you described you would like would have a 2 car field at Pomona, 4 car field at Vegas and 6 the race before, and so on? I kinda get where you are going since the other sports eliminate teams but I don't think a race consisting of 1 round would draw fans in. Now maybe if they did something like seed the countdown drivers and each of them run a best of 7 passes elimination style format each weekend and then figure out some sort of race for the non contenders so they have a reason to still show up and race then maybe we are onto something. Just imagine if say 8 qualify for the countdown and the first elimination race all goes to the 7 rounds against each other in just one class how many passes fans would get to see
No, the proposal would be for 8 car countdown fields at all six countdown races only made up of countdown cars. They earn points just like now except its only 3 rounds of countdown each race.

The big improvement would be that they do not race non-countdown cars during the countdown and therefore no team blockers, lay-downs (perceived or real).

If 8 Top Fuel and 8 Funny Car arenít enough for the weekend, then run the non-countdown cars on the other side of the ladder and let the winner of the non-countdown side run the winner of the countdown side for that races Wally and final round win money.

My thought would be to keep ten cars in the countdown and let the 2 slowest countdown qualifiers at each race not qualify for countdown points and therefore run on the non-countdown side of the ladder on Sunday. That would make qualifying super important as two cars are not earning points on Sunday.

Right now some of it is the luck of the ladder draw or the luck of racing a team mate who might be sponsored by a weaker $$ sponsor or who the team owner thinks has a poorer chance of winning the championship and therefore smokes the tires/red lights/no shows/hits a cone/etc. when racing their teammate.

Most importantly, this eliminates those not in the countdown from affecting the countdown just like non-playoff teams in the big leagues canít affect the World Series.

The current system is what NHRA has decreed and therefore the current World Champions are truly the World Champions. But this system would a very legitimate way to crown the World Champion.
__________________
.
a21stud only refers to the more common 21 stud flathead motors early drag racers coveted before the Chy. Hemi and sbc came along.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.