CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Yvonne* Yvonne* is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,814
Default Mayor Believes City Council Wants NHRA In Pomona

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...stay-in-pomona
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Roger Gates Roger Gates is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wofford Heights Ca
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
As expected - This is a push to collect more money. The same people who have been complaining for years will still be complaining years from now. What will probably happen is there will be extra fees for clean up - maintenance - traffic control and security, etc.. It is like the people who move into an area with existing events or facilities and then want them to shut down. When I was a kid in the early 1950's in San Antonio Texas Kelly AFB started testing in flight refueling and there was a organized outcry from a few saying that the fuel spilled would cause everything from health epidemics to three eyed babies to destruction of the planet. They demanded for this to stop. The General at Kelly called a Town meeting and said OK we will just shut down Kelly Field and Lackland AFB which is where 100% of basic training in the U.S. was, and OH "By the Way we employ or support about 75/80% of the 100+ thousand residents in the area". All of the sudden the refueling deal was not such a big deal, which never had a fuel spillage issue from in flight fueling. It appears that the economy of the city of Pomona has more benefits than a few people who don't want to be bothered with a little noise and crowds that spend millions of dollars twice a year do. The money they make on parking alone is unbelievable and NHRA gets none of that. It has to be the highest price parking at any NHRA event. Pretty sure they get a chunk of the vendor money also.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
anotheridiot anotheridiot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,961
Default

How can California expect to change the aftermarket industry all together and still keep the NHRA? There are battles worth fighting.
__________________
Sometimes the peanut gallery can make a useful suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Yvonne* Yvonne* is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
As expected - This is a push to collect more money. The same people who have been complaining for years will still be complaining years from now. What will probably happen is there will be extra fees for clean up - maintenance - traffic control and security, etc.. It is like the people who move into an area with existing events or facilities and then want them to shut down. When I was a kid in the early 1950's in San Antonio Texas Kelly AFB started testing in flight refueling and there was a organized outcry from a few saying that the fuel spilled would cause everything from health epidemics to three eyed babies to destruction of the planet. They demanded for this to stop. The General at Kelly called a Town meeting and said OK we will just shut down Kelly Field and Lackland AFB which is where 100% of basic training in the U.S. was, and OH "By the Way we employ or support about 75/80% of the 100+ thousand residents in the area". All of the sudden the refueling deal was not such a big deal, which never had a fuel spillage issue from in flight fueling. It appears that the economy of the city of Pomona has more benefits than a few people who don't want to be bothered with a little noise and crowds that spend millions of dollars twice a year do. The money they make on parking alone is unbelievable and NHRA gets none of that. It has to be the highest price parking at any NHRA event. Pretty sure they get a chunk of the vendor money also.
The economy of the entire state too! Don't they make some money off the haulers and trailers that come in on the freeways too?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Eugene Gray's Avatar
Eugene Gray Eugene Gray is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange Ca
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
The economy of the entire state too! Don't they make some money off the haulers and trailers that come in on the freeways too?
The haulers with trailers over 53' has to purchase a permit before entering the state and all the semi haulers with a DOT number that are not registered as a motorhome has to pay extra taxes for using the Cal-roads either through IFTA or a trip permit.
__________________
If you can still turn, then you are not going fast enough.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Willy's Avatar
Willy Willy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago U.S.A.
Posts: 11,157
Default

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...ouncil-meeting
__________________
----------------------------


----------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
slugbelch slugbelch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,067
Default

I bet those rave concerts that started getting scheduled there were on top of "the complaint list".

http://forum.competitionplus.com/sho...2&postcount=42

Quote:
"Of particular concern were electronic dance music festivals, also referred to as raves."
Those attract a very interesting group of people to the area.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Western Flyer Western Flyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
I bet those rave concerts that started getting scheduled there were on top of "the complaint list".

http://forum.competitionplus.com/sho...2&postcount=42



Those attract a very interesting group of people to the area.
"Interesting" is probably not the word I would have used.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.