CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 03-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
I think I might be missing on some technical details here.

I thought that a clutch was essentially locked once all the weights engage. So that's not the case? What then makes the clutch lock?

And I always thought a lock-up converter locked up with an internal clutch pack, not true? If not how does it lock?
Technically correct on the clutch. Hard to get it 1 to 1 with a standard 6 or 7 lever clutch. A lock up clutch has a second set of levers usually 3 that will 100% make it go 1 to 1. Other ways to lock it up but that's one way.
Old 03-15-2018

Tims car 1990 7.0 at 201 mph today 1/8th mile 200 mph and 5.70s at 260 plus. Technology has made these cars significantly faster,

Soon you will be seeing no shifting in autos just regulating lockup converters with pressures down the track to slip versus drive shaft speed and g forces

Kind of Ironic Tim is using the internet and you tube to put his story out there.

Do not think that was around in 1990
Old 03-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognelson77 View Post
Soon you will be seeing no shifting in autos just regulating lockup converters with pressures down the track to slip versus drive shaft speed and g forces
Is this how the Ford 500 and some Dodge Caliber "constant velocity" drivetrains work?
Old 03-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Is this how the Ford 500 and some Dodge Caliber "constant velocity" drivetrains work?
Production car CVTs (Continuously Variable Transmissions) are more like high tech snowmobile clutches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHWqlfDZnmQ

Any "shifting" that someone feels in a CVT equipped car is programmed in.

Who cares?
Old 03-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
The newest lock up for a promod type of car actually uses Automatic type Steelie;s and clutches except larger diameter. They are then locked up by pressurizing the lock up piston.
With ECU's the Solenoid that controls the lockup piston can be activated like a Fuel injector so it can lock and unlock the clutches as often as they want. This can be milliseconds, so you can imagine how much this can be adjusted during a run.

This is a layman's explanation, so do not beat me up on terminology

PS one that I viewed had Bonifanti friction clutches in it.