CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 04-10-2018

Eugene:

Which lanes were the best? I heard lane 1 was not that good. Since they will be running in lane 1 and 2 in Oct, is there any major issues with these lanes that can't be resolved by Oct?

Thank you
Old 04-10-2018

I have been attending the Winternationals and Finals for over 40 years. My buddy and I expanded our race attendance to the 2 races in Vegas the last 3 years. I have not cared for the 4 wide racing on TV. I kept an open mind when attending this race. I have to say I don't care for it. We were in Sec F Row 33 at the top of the reserved side. It was difficult for us to decipher what was on the track. One of my main complaints is how do you tell if someone redlights in competition? There was a redlight in the Pro Stock and Funny Car finals and I couldn't tell from where I was sitting. Also, the scoreboards were difficult to figure out. This was a novelty year for this race. Future attendance will verify if it is more popular. I have 3 questions for Alan or whoever might know.
1. Has the Charlotte 4 wide attendance stayed consistent for the last 7 years?
2. Does the Charlotte 4 wide event surpass the Charlotte 2 wide event in attendance?
3. If Bruton believes in the 4 wide format so vehemently, why don't they install scoreboards that reflect the times and speeds in the normal way? It seems they spared no money on the track itself so why not the scoreboards?
Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleanos View Post
One of my main complaints is how do you tell if someone redlights in competition? There was a red light in the Pro Stock and Funny Car finals and I couldn't tell from where I was sitting. Also, the scoreboards were difficult to figure out. This was a novelty year for this race. Future attendance will verify if it is more popular.
3. If Bruton believes in the 4 wide format so vehemently, why don't they install scoreboards that reflect the times and speeds in the normal way? It seems they spared no money on the track itself so why not the scoreboards?
Many of the complaints listed here and by others are easily cured.
  • Flash the corresponding ET/MPH on the scoreboard in Red for a red light. (This could be done immediately)
  • Put up two more scoreboards (one more on each side) so it is very easy to figure out which lane the et/mph and other information refers to.
  • Make both trees bigger with bigger lights.
  • Put a rotating red light above each staging light that only comes on with the normal red light at the bottom of the tree.
  • Show every 4 wide pass finish line shot on the big screens. Show the moment the first car crossed the finish line so people can see how far back the other three are.
Compared to building the four lane track and bleachers, this added expense is peanuts but will vastly improve spectator knowledge, enjoyment and their desire to return.
Old 04-10-2018

Wink

Charlotte 4 wide is packed and blows away the 2 wide race for spectator attendance. Vegas 1 and Charlotte 2 had by far the worst attandance optics last year. Now, both have huge stands so that plays a little into it, but Charlotte 2 attandance was terrible.

IMHO, I think it's going to be hard to grow Charlotte 2 because of college football on Saturday and the Panthers on Sunday.
Old 04-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPMFAN View Post
Eugene:

Which lanes were the best? I heard lane 1 was not that good. Since they will be running in lane 1 and 2 in Oct, is there any major issues with these lanes that can't be resolved by Oct?

Thank you
Just curious if you're talking about the same lane 1 that produced the #1 qualifying ET (and low ET for the weekend) in Funny Car? That lane #1 was "not that good". Lane 1: Courtney Force Runs 3.927.

There are NO issues with any of the lanes. The only "issue" is being new - and this is more applicable to the asphalt back half of the track. While they did a great job pre-prepping the track, rubber takes more time to build up on asphalt than it does on concrete. But, you also have to consider that the average track temp was 120 the entire weekend when the fuel cars ran.

LVMS will be running a LOT of races - with lots of quick cars - just in the next few weeks. By October, those lanes will be exceptional.
Old 04-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
Just curious if you're talking about the same lane 1 that produced the #1 qualifying ET (and low ET for the weekend) in Funny Car? That lane #1 was "not that good". Lane 1: Courtney Force Runs 3.927.

There are NO issues with any of the lanes. The only "issue" is being new - and this is more applicable to the asphalt back half of the track. While they did a great job pre-prepping the track, rubber takes more time to build up on asphalt than it does on concrete. But, you also have to consider that the average track temp was 120 the entire weekend when the fuel cars ran.

LVMS will be running a LOT of races - with lots of quick cars - just in the next few weeks. By October, those lanes will be exceptional.
I thought the lanes were very even - Tim's posted stats show that. (Tim...you bored? Frustrated statistician? :-)

And remember that lane choice has a lot to do with the perceived lane choice / lane performance.

Personal observation: After 55 years of drag racing this was my first in person 4 wide. Not a fan. BUT...I am so impressed with the work that LVMS did - first rate. And I'm REALLY impressed with the crowd and that's what counts. I've been to every Las Vegas NHRA race held and I can't remember a buzz like this -even during some of the really world championships were contested at LV2. Some fans sitting behind me were first time ever NHRA race fans - from British Columbia and they were a combination of fascinated, confused, thrilled and stunned. I gave them starting line passes for Q4 and they came back eyes wide and extremely impressed. They'll be back.

I heard a lot of "who won that" and a common thread was more information on the video screen about qualifying position, show the times longer, etc. The high winds on Saturday kept he scoreboard inactive - that didn't help.

NHRA fails in one area: not enough immediate information in a sport that goes quick. Everyone in the stands has a device that is capable of making the at-race experience richer: smart phone. Update the qualifying order / show the incremental times / who will be racing whom at this moment / pipe the interviews in so they can be heard, etc.

I spoke with about 8 drivers and almost to a person they said "not a fan of 4 wide competitively but love the sell out."

That's my opinion also. Can't argue with so many more avid butts in the seats.

My personal highlight is actually getting to see and shake hands with Eugene Gray!!!!
Old 04-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post

Yep. And TJ ran 3.93 in lane 1 right before Courtney.
Old 04-10-2018

completely boring, I recorded and fast forward through most of it. Four wide is a waste.
Old 04-10-2018

As a traditionalist, I despise 4-wide racing as it makes a mockery of the basic premise in which the sport was founded. However, I completely understand and respect those that like it. But I am willing to speculate that the overwhelming majority of the fans that support it are young people and/or those new to the drag race experience. To them it is all about the spectacle of "shock and awe" and they probably do not follow the sport closely, if at all. Professional nitro racing has become more an exhibition of speed and power, and less about the competition. There are so very few competitive teams, and continual repeat winners. 4-wide "racing" just takes the exhibition to another level.
Old 04-10-2018

Next we will have 6 race countdown 4 times. Give a few drivers another chance at the championship.