CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 3 Days Ago

Default Does This Sound Familiar?

http://www.greensboro.com/townnews/s...7b049766c.html
Old 3 Days Ago

This is not news. Anyone who thinks this isn't happening has their heads buried in the sand.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm Man View Post
This is not news. Anyone who thinks this isn't happening has their heads buried in the sand.
I know but the thread about the changes coming to P/S and how to fix the class is amusing @ best. They need to be worrying about saving drag racing in it's present form. NHRA is one nitro multi team owner quiting away from disaster. Just imagine if any of them decided they have had enough and pulled the plug,what then? I'm not anti NHRA and wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better but I can't. I'm a realist who sees it for what it is.
Old 3 Days Ago

The Bottom Line is getting the kids interested!
Kids don't care like they used to because the cars nowadays you can't work on like a 66 Chevelle and they are much more interested in their Game Boy's and Computer games.
Times have changed!
Old 3 Days Ago

You forgot Cell Phones! Imagine a kid today trying to text with a Rotary phone!
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgty3whlr View Post
You forgot Cell Phones! Imagine a kid today trying to text with a Rotary phone!
What is kind of getting missed here is - why would kids today even want to be interested in cars. It is a fact that doing anything to increase performance or modify a vehicle with anything other than tires and wheels is basically against the law. Most Kids and young adults can’t afford to buy anything that is high performance, much less be able to modify it. Insurance - fuel costs - maintainance among other things take away disposable money. What percentage of young people (school age) are even allowed to have a job now days to get a car. I used to hire kids in H.S. on a work / study program, but it got to where they couldn’t do any thing that was “dangerous” which was anything more than sweep up. No machinery or power tools that had a blade or a bit. You cannot afford to hire someone that you can’t even train because of ridiculous laws. It is no wonder most kids are not interested in things like cars or trucks, nor can they afford it.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
What is kind of getting missed here is - why would kids today even want to be interested in cars. It is a fact that doing anything to increase performance or modify a vehicle with anything other than tires and wheels is basically against the law. Most Kids and young adults can’t afford to buy anything that is high performance, much less be able to modify it. Insurance - fuel costs - maintainance among other things take away disposable money. What percentage of young people (school age) are even allowed to have a job now days to get a car. I used to hire kids in H.S. on a work / study program, but it got to where they couldn’t do any thing that was “dangerous” which was anything more than sweep up. No machinery or power tools that had a blade or a bit. You cannot afford to hire someone that you can’t even train because of ridiculous laws. It is no wonder most kids are not interested in things like cars or trucks, nor can they afford it.
Perfect post Roger. I logged in just to say I agree with you. I rarely feel the need to share my opinion on here but you hit the nail on the head. There are more barriers to entry in our thing than in most activities. I would be willing to wager that the reason we don't see as many "young people" at the races now is because of one fact: most everyone in the stands either has a car at home they work on, or their daddy did. People just don't randomly decide They want to have a project car or hot rod...you are born and raised into that. Simply speaking there are just less people into the hobby than 30 years ago, and that fact alone will automatically shrink the fan base. Just my two cents
Old 3 Days Ago

wow, I thought the only thing A Poole would write on the subject would be no WJ, Pro Stock is dead.
Old 3 Days Ago

Wink

It's all the Kardashians fault for everything thats wrong with the racing world !
Old 3 Days Ago

Every time someone gets tire of drag racing and/or just gives up or goes broke drag racing on any level, there is someone else who buys their stuff. They sell their stuff sometimes at decent prices and sometimes at give away prices.

The problem since the beginning of time has been the perceived value in winning a race. The wealthy that raced roman chariots probably paid ridiculous prices for light weight wood wheels. They paid more to the woodworker who could make wheels work with fewer spokes using stronger/thinner or lighter wood. They paid more for the best horses and paid more to the lightest, best trained chariot driver.

Most of today’s Pro Team owners are forced to run on a razors edge of profitability because of their desire to win and winning is what it takes to keep their high dollar sponsors or keep from having to dig into their own pockets.

NHRA could easily have controlled the issue IF they had the intestinal fortitude to decree controls like single mag, limiting fuel pump volume, tire size, etc. many years ago. The “big horse” is out of the barn and everybody now has to have a big horse to compete. The crowd just wanted to watch an exciting race. Now the owners of big horses don’t want their horse ruled out of competition and there are only so many willing to feed the big horses.

When/if JFR, DSR or CKR ever quit racing for whatever reason, someone will buy their stuff and carry on. Might be at fire sale prices but those with the big horses won’t just let them sit in the trailer and deteriorate. That’s what happened to WJ, Mike Edwards and is probably happening to AJ’s Pro Stock stuff.