CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Sportsman

Old 12-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
It doesn't matter how far under the Index you or anyone else can dial. The Index is only used for qualifying purposes. The further under the Index you are, the higher up the qualifying sheet you are. Eliminations are strictly on a dial-in format (but you must dial the Index or quicker) like a bracket race.

My car is a DF/S. Best run I've ever made was 14.93. Class Index is 15.60. In qualifying, I would be -.67 under, and qualify in X'th spot. Your Corvette would be a D/SA. Index is 11.55. A good D/SA will run mid to high 10's. Let's say in time trials your runs were between 10.57 and 10.62, the 10.57 would have qualified you in Y'th spot. In Eliminations, I would dial, say, 14.90, and you would dial, say, a 10.60. I'd get a 4.3 second spot, and regular bracket racing breakout rules apply. Same as a regular bracket race.

Should you race against another D/SA, there are no dial-ins. It's heads-up, no breakout, first to the finish line wins.
OK, I'm starting to get with the program. In qualifying or in eliminations if I run 1.25 under the index it gets reset?

I have spotted cars 4 sec in the 1/8. Talk about being hard to sit there. It's pretty tough. I agree the faster car has the advantage, but sometimes it's hard to remember that.
Old 12-18-2010

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
OK, I'm starting to get with the program. In qualifying or in eliminations if I run 1.25 under the index it gets reset?

I have spotted cars 4 sec in the 1/8. Talk about being hard to sit there. It's pretty tough. I agree the faster car has the advantage, but sometimes it's hard to remember that.
Runs of more than -1.25 as of now (will be -1.20 under in 2011) under the Index results in a horsepower or Index adjustment. Horsepower hits are 3.25%, Index adjustments (only applicable to Super Stock Modified classes where cars are pounds-per-cubic inch) are .15 seconds (SS/AM Index for example would drop from 9.00 to 8.85). My car, 3.8 liter 231 cid V-6 1992 Oldsmobile motor with a factory and NHRA rating of 170, would be hit 170 x .0325 = 5.525, rounded up to 6. So the Tuesday after the event, my car (and any other car/engine combination like it) would be rated at 176. So, you will see sandbagging from time to time, to avoid receiving any penalty. This is part of the NHRA Automatic Horsepower Factoring System. A system I could explain here, but I don't know how much bandwidth this website has, LOL.

When I raced Billy's HF/SA, it ran mid 17's to low 18's, depending on set-up and weather conditions. I quite often ran 10, 11 and 12 second Stockers. Kinda got used to it after a while. haha. Slowest car I ever raced against was a T/SA dialed low 14's.
Looking for 2016 S/SS Race Sponsors. Contact Me if interested
Old 12-18-2010

Quote:
Runs of more than -1.25 as of now (will be -1.20 under in 2011) under the Index results in a horsepower or Index adjustment. Horsepower hits are 3.25%, Index adjustments (only applicable to Super Stock Modified classes where cars are pounds-per-cubic inch) are .15 seconds (SS/AM Index for example would drop from 9.00 to 8.85). My car, 3.8 liter 231 cid V-6 1992 Oldsmobile motor with a factory and NHRA rating of 170, would be hit 170 x .0325 = 5.525, rounded up to 6. So the Tuesday after the event, my car (and any other car/engine combination like it) would be rated at 176. So, you will see sandbagging from time to time, to avoid receiving any penalty. This is part of the NHRA Automatic Horsepower Factoring System. A system I could explain here, but I don't know how much bandwidth this website has, LOL.

When I raced Billy's HF/SA, it ran mid 17's to low 18's, depending on set-up and weather conditions. I quite often ran 10, 11 and 12 second Stockers. Kinda got used to it after a while. haha. Slowest car I ever raced against was a T/SA dialed low 14's.
OK, I understand the sandbagging. I think everyone but me does it in bracket racing. (JK) So in 2011 I run under by .124 and everyone pays a price? Or, only during specified races? Prior to resetting the HP rating do they do a tear down and complete inspection?

BTW, I think I'm close to deciding I'm done with the racing but I still enjoy the sport and learning about all of the changes since I ran J/S 40 yrs ago. Maybe you will be surprised to know a lot of things have not changed.

Hey Mike, thanks for all of the info and dedication you've shown for the sport.
Old 12-18-2010

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
OK, I understand the sandbagging. I think everyone but me does it in bracket racing. (JK) So in 2011 I run under by .124 and everyone pays a price? Or, only during specified races? Prior to resetting the HP rating do they do a tear down and complete inspection?

BTW, I think I'm close to deciding I'm done with the racing but I still enjoy the sport and learning about all of the changes since I ran J/S 40 yrs ago. Maybe you will be surprised to know a lot of things have not changed.

Hey Mike, thanks for all of the info and dedication you've shown for the sport.
Yes, any run at an NHRA National Event, LODRS Divisional or National Open of more than -1.200 under the Index will incur a penalty for that particular car/engine combination. Teardowns are not done, which I think should be, to verify that the car that ran that fast was legal. A good teardown, like done at Indy. Pan dropped, rod and piston out, along with the usual check of head, intake, carb/throttle body, etc.

I think your car would make a pretty decent Pure Stock in IHRA, I think it would run as a B/PS, on an Index of 12.45 1/4 mile and 8.10 1/8 mile. Cam must check correct on lift, duration and overlap, as well as valve spring pressure. Stock, OEM Factory exhaust manifolds mandatory on open exhaust, or headers with accepted mufflers. 9x29.5 slicks are allowed. Maybe something to think about for an occasional race. All NHRA and IHRA-legal cars are allowed to run my Tri-State S/SS Association events. I know they are probably quite a drive for you (eastern OH, parts of PA and Hagerstown MD).

You're welcome. Glad to be a (small) part of what I feel is the greatest sport around :~)
Looking for 2016 S/SS Race Sponsors. Contact Me if interested
Old 12-18-2010

Quote:
Yes, any run at an NHRA National Event, LODRS Divisional or National Open of more than -1.200 under the Index will incur a penalty for that particular car/engine combination. Teardowns are not done, which I think should be, to verify that the car that ran that fast was legal. A good teardown, like done at Indy. Pan dropped, rod and piston out, along with the usual check of head, intake, carb/throttle body, etc.

I think your car would make a pretty decent Pure Stock in IHRA, I think it would run as a B/PS, on an Index of 12.45 1/4 mile and 8.10 1/8 mile. Cam must check correct on lift, duration and overlap, as well as valve spring pressure. Stock, OEM Factory exhaust manifolds mandatory on open exhaust, or headers with accepted mufflers. 9x29.5 slicks are allowed. Maybe something to think about for an occasional race. All NHRA and IHRA-legal cars are allowed to run my Tri-State S/SS Association events. I know they are probably quite a drive for you (eastern OH, parts of PA and Hagerstown MD).

You're welcome. Glad to be a (small) part of what I feel is the greatest sport around :~)
I would have to check but I think based on what you just said I would go for C/PS. Of course that could be a quicker index so that's what I would have to look at. I fit all of the rules for the class, that's for sure. 3.42 gears, DR's and Blackwing. That's it plus my own tune. The car is quick compared to others by at least .3

I will send a PM. It's very possible I could run your events this year.

Tags
cobra jet, drag-pak, stock eliminator, superstock