CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Sportsman

Old 12-13-2010

I can't find it Mike so I just give up. It listed all of the 'Muscle' cars and the factory HP. I'm pretty sure each one was then put on a dyno and tested. I'm thinking the 426 was actually 600+ HP with the rest close behind. That's where I came up with 200 HP difference. I can easily verify the numbers you put them at so we know those are good numbers.
Old 12-13-2010

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
I can't find it Mike so I just give up. It listed all of the 'Muscle' cars and the factory HP. I'm pretty sure each one was then put on a dyno and tested. I'm thinking the 426 was actually 600+ HP with the rest close behind. That's where I came up with 200 HP difference. I can easily verify the numbers you put them at so we know those are good numbers.

That sounds about right, using the NHRA rating x 1.5 = dyno flywheel hp theory. The SS/AH Hemi cars are pushing close to 900 hp now, if not more (with a 500-507 NHRA rating), although they have almost their own rules on what they can do, and permitted to do so (hand fabricated tunnel ram-type intakes, for one). A good 427/425 '69 Camaro A/SA will make a little over 600 on a dyno. I'm sure it varies by case. I'd love to see the new CobraJet and DragPak engines on a dyno, for comparisons sake. The 427 I mentioned above is rated by NHRA at 425 (OEM head) or 435 (401 A1 aluminum replacement head) in Stock. It's rated a little higher in S/S. What's rare is the fact that these cars were SS/D and SS/DA when new (in the shipping weight days, when all cars were one class only), and still are natural D cars today (that by rules can move to SS/CA and SS/EA). Other cars are rated similar, much more, or a little less, than factory. My dad had an idea to take multiple engines that can run in the same class, take them to the dyno room of a disinterested third party (someone without a dog in the fight, so Cagnazzi and Roy Johnson would be out), dyno the engines, and perhaps make some changes based on that. NASCAR has done it. But I doubt NHRA has any interest in doing anything about it. I'd like to be proved wrong by them. I guess we'll see how NHRA's new A.H.F.S works.
Looking for 2016 S/SS Race Sponsors. Contact Me if interested
Old 12-14-2010

Mike, do you know of any way to pull records for 1971? I had the J/S record but the ex-wife made sure I had nothing. All of my trophies and everything else was destroyed. All I have are great memories.
Old 12-14-2010

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Not off hand, but on Classracer, I'm sure there are a lot of people with old Dragsters, Hot Rod, and other publications. I'm sure someone there could find you something, or point you in the right direction.
Old 12-14-2010

Thanks Mike. I ran a '70 Mustang, 351C, close ratio and a 4.57 gears. Raced out of Delagrange Ford in Ft Wayne, In.
Old 12-14-2010

Not to make you feel old, but that was 8 years before i was born

As of 2010, a '70 Mustang with the 300 hp 351 fits F/S and F/SA, and can run E and G classes as well. Still rated at 300 by NHRA. F/S Index currently is 11.80 seconds; F/SA is 11.85.

If you ever get curious about a car/engine combo, go to http://www.nhra.com/competition/classification.aspx and click on the year and model car you wish to check out. It will list factory ratings at the top of the column of the engine, and at the bottom, the NHRA rating. The numbers in between are the weight breaks, to determine eligible Class(es). If you need help with anything, just holler.
Old 12-15-2010
Administrator

Wow!......my 4 cam Mod motored barge is listed, but No Engine Specs. Interesting since this same engine is listed in other model years for the same body.

Just as well.....I just can't see stripping out the A/C, AirRide.......

----------------------------
Old 12-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
Not to make you feel old, but that was 8 years before i was born

As of 2010, a '70 Mustang with the 300 hp 351 fits F/S and F/SA, and can run E and G classes as well. Still rated at 300 by NHRA. F/S Index currently is 11.80 seconds; F/SA is 11.85.

If you ever get curious about a car/engine combo, go to http://www.nhra.com/competition/classification.aspx and click on the year and model car you wish to check out. It will list factory ratings at the top of the column of the engine, and at the bottom, the NHRA rating. The numbers in between are the weight breaks, to determine eligible Class(es). If you need help with anything, just holler.
Mine had a 500 CFM 2 barrel. I think it was 500 and the engine was rated at 250 HP. I think the record I set was 12.22 but I just can't remember. I beat many 428 CJ's and almost anything out there running stock for about 300/400'.

I have used the tables and they just added my '03 Vette maybe 2 yrs ago.
Old 12-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
If you need help with anything, just holler.
Looks like they changed that chart or I'm getting senile. My old Mustang has a break of 12.93 and the Vette is 9.55. The class designation used to be listed right there on the chart but now I don't see it. I think the Mustang is still J/S and the Vette is B/SA. I could easily run B/SA but I just prefer brackets. Much cheaper and I don't have to make a commitment. Jeremy Preston down in Palm Beach has won with his street driven Vette. It's honestly a daily driver.

Hey Mike, I forgot to tell you my first race was in 1962 at Martin Drag Strip. If you're curious about anything from back then, just holler.

I predict eventually drag racing engines will be diesel and electric. Sorry I'm going to miss it but you may be around.
Old 12-15-2010

The '70 Mustang 351 cid 260 hp, still rated at 250, is a natural J/S (also can run I and K) as a Coupe 2 door hardtop, and K/S (J and L) as a Coupe 2 door fastback. I've heard of Jeremy Preston, he won an NHRA Div 2 race a few years ago in D/SA in Florida, driving it to the track. Neat deal. As long as he doesn't get any heads-up runs, he's fine. It's a natural D/SA that can run C and E. Diesel drags are becoming popular, as I've seen several tracks that host diesel drags and a few with electrical drags as well. My dad's first race was around the same time at you, local tracks in western PA and eastern OH. My first race, technically, was Indy 1979 (my mom was seven months pregnant with me).

On the graph, you will see (using the '70 Mustang as an example). The 351 motor, with the 250 rating. The 12.93, 13.01, etc are the weight breaks, and you have to look up in the rulebook what it is). The NHRA rating will be at the bottom of that column. NHRA still has it at 250. I wrote this for Classracer, it was all the NHRA/IHRA Classes and the weight breaks for each. http://classracer.com/classes.html

Willy, what car do you have? I am guessing it had the dreaded "NES" under the combination you were looking at?

Tags
cobra jet, drag-pak, stock eliminator, superstock