CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 05-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burke
The point is if that distracts her then her concentration needs work. She should be able to block and/or filter the important from the unimportant easily. It is a skill that can be acquired. All fighter pilots have to learn this. If they don't they die. That's what I call highly motivating.

They use the radios to among other things to tell the driver when to get off it if there is trouble down track.
If that is the case.. can you tell me why in Baseball a batter has to stand in the batters box, & CONCENTRATE on hitting a fast ball app. 95mph or it might be a curve or sinker, ..all the while there are 50,000 people yelling and screaming at him to hit it out, or to SWING & MISS.. depending on which is home field.

Now lets look a Golf here we have athletes winning a million, for hitting a little round ball, BUT the GALLERY has to be "verrrrrry quiet as he gets ready to putt the ball that is SITTING STILL & NOT MOVING! same for Tennis John McEnroe could give the finger to the umpire, and the fans had to be QUIET when he was serving.. he only had to hit the ball HE threw up, and if he didn't like the toss he could catch it and try again...

I think I'm a "fair" drag racer.. better than most, but FAR FROM THE BEST.. and I couldn't concentrate on a tree with yelling going on in my helmet!

Funny thing, back in the 50's when I was in High school I was a pitcher on the school team, and the yelling never bothered me weather I was pitching or batting... although as a batter I SUCKED (.235 average) My point being why do the fans have to be quiet in some sports, and in others they can set off cherry bombs ?? Is a playing Golf harder than drag racing, & thats why the "gallery" has to be quiet?

In bowling the fans have to be QUIET as the bowler goes to roll his ball down the alley...they they can yell after he releases it.. However ASHLEY you say should be able to listen to all kinds of bull **** over the radio, and just put it out of her mind? More power to her if she can !!

OFF MY SOAPBOX!
Old 05-08-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpee
If that is the case.. can you tell me why in Baseball a batter has to stand in the batters box, & CONCENTRATE on hitting a fast ball app. 95mph or it might be a curve or sinker, ..all the while there are 50,000 people yelling and screaming at him to hit it out, or to SWING & MISS.. depending on which is home field.

Now lets look a Golf here we have athletes winning a million, for hitting a little round ball, BUT the GALLERY has to be "verrrrrry quiet as he gets ready to putt the ball that is SITTING STILL & NOT MOVING! same for Tennis John McEnroe could give the finger to the umpire, and the fans had to be QUIET when he was serving.. he only had to hit the ball HE threw up, and if he didn't like the toss he could catch it and try again...

I think I'm a "fair" drag racer.. better than most, but FAR FROM THE BEST.. and I couldn't concentrate on a tree with yelling going on in my helmet!

Funny thing, back in the 50's when I was in High school I was a pitcher on the school team, and the yelling never bothered me weather I was pitching or batting... although as a batter I SUCKED (.235 average) My point being why do the fans have to be quiet in some sports, and in others they can set off cherry bombs ?? Is a playing Golf harder than drag racing, & thats why the "gallery" has to be quiet?

In bowling the fans have to be QUIET as the bowler goes to roll his ball down the alley...they they can yell after he releases it.. However ASHLEY you say should be able to listen to all kinds of bull **** over the radio, and just put it out of her mind? More power to her if she can !!

OFF MY SOAPBOX!
As Algore would say: The debate is over!

Very well put jpee!
Old 05-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpee

OFF MY SOAPBOX!
The answer is those sports that have quiet have it because of tradition nothing else. The sports were originally played by gentlemen and the practice survived. One can easily hit a golf or tennis ball in the middle of a racket, it's all what you are used to.

When I was a kid I caddied at a club where a lot of NY Ranger and NY Yankee players were members. When they were playing among themselves they hollered and yelled all the time. It bothered no one and some said they played better with the noise. Actually due to the time it takes to transmit signals through a human nervous system you could probably shoot a golfer at the top of his backswing with no ill effect on that shot.

Seems to me it is kind of silly to complain about talking in the headset while sitting just behind the racket a fuel car makes even when idling.

As I said in a previous post fighter pilots have to learn to block out the unimportant noises or die. They all learn and as far as I remember no one washed out for being unable to ignore distractions while flying a mission. It is a skill that is easily mastered. It's called focus.
Old 05-08-2008
Administrator

I wonder if anyone has bothered to ask Ms. Force if it's an annoyance to her.......

----------------------------
Old 05-10-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy
I wonder if anyone has bothered to ask Ms. Force if it's an annoyance to her.......
Nah! That would be too easy!

Tags
crazy talk