CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2009
Banned

Exclamation Pro Stock Racers Speak Up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
Guess the rest of them have day jobs or need to prepare for this weekends race instead. Nice schedule having a 1500 mile trek on back to back weekends.

Hell, if GM or Chrysler was represented, wouldnt congress be questioning how they afforded their private jet to get there by wednesday morning?
Excellent point idiot GM and Chryler racers may want to stay below the radar with Congress. The odd thing about this obvious snub by NHRA is that Pro Stock is the backbone of drag racing. The modified bodied cars started drag racing. Most drag racers and fans start out by working on, racing and watching bodied cars. Our most talented all around racers are in PRO STOCK. They actually work on and with the cars!! Millions of parts are put on REAL CARS!! I wish great PRO STOCK RACERS like LARRY MORGAN OR WARREN JOHNSON would speak to this issue of NO PRO STOCKS ON WALL STREET!!
Old 06-11-2009

I Think Larrys Tee Shirt He Had Made Several Years Ago Said It All
Old 06-11-2009

Larry, this is with no disrespect to you or the class, but Pro Stock is to drag racing what the Camping World Trucks are to Nascar. They are NOT the backbone of the sport, they are NOT the most popular class. They are what they are. They are arguably the third most popular class inthe sport. They are light years behind the nitro classes in terms of popularity, plain and simple. And another fact that noone has touched on. Look at the drivers spotlighted. Antron Brown, Tony Pedregon, Ashley Force. Think that maybe NHRA was trying to play up the diversity issue? I guess though, that they could have run Warren Johnson out there though in retrospect. and got the over 65 demographic as well.
Old 06-11-2009
Banned

Default 67,000 Hits For Ford PS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnitro07 View Post
Larry, this is with no disrespect to you or the class, but Pro Stock is to drag racing what the Camping World Trucks are to Nascar. They are NOT the backbone of the sport, they are NOT the most popular class. They are what they are. They are arguably the third most popular class inthe sport. They are light years behind the nitro classes in terms of popularity, plain and simple. And another fact that noone has touched on. Look at the drivers spotlighted. Antron Brown, Tony Pedregon, Ashley Force. Think that maybe NHRA was trying to play up the diversity issue? I guess though, that they could have run Warren Johnson out there though in retrospect. and got the over 65 demographic as well.
Pro Stock is arguably the second most popular class in drag racing. It ranks right in with TF. Funny car first, PS second and TF third. NHRA has always given PS the short end of the publicity. Given equal billing I think it would handily defeat TF for second place. On polls done PS has defeated TF in popularity. You use the word nitro. Sorry that's more than one class. With people voting for all their favorite classes I believe PS can finish second. The fields in TF are somewhat weak and there for NHRA should give equal billing to PS. But in my opinion if you look at the quality of competition and racing PS wins hands down over TF. Remember too that PS is still racing 1320 compared to TF's 1000 ft. Why do you think there is over 67,000 hits for a Ford PS on this site.
Old 06-11-2009
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Pro Stock is arguably the second most popular class in drag racing.

Why do you think there is over 67,000 hits for a Ford PS on this site.
If you can't point to a survey to prove this then put up a poll here and settle this once and for all

Because it WAS the only factory backed racing in the NHRA and Ford wasn't backing anyone.
Old 06-11-2009

Quote:

Why do you think there is over 67,000 hits for a Ford PS on this site.
I thought was either that you had alot of free time on your hands larry, or people thought one of the force girls were gonna be driving it................
Old 06-11-2009
Banned

Thumbs down Shame On You NHRA!!

My main point is that NHRA screwed Pro Stock by not having at least one Pro Stock car and driver on Wall Street. Shame on NHRA for having their heads in the sand. They still have this left coast mentality when it comes to bodied cars.
Old 06-12-2009

Larry, the reason I said Nitro instead of breaking it down into FC/TF/PS is that PS is lightyears behind both Funny Car and Top fuel in other words, BOTH nitro classes. I am not saying PS racing is not extremely competitive, it is, but is not as popular with fans as the Nitro classes. That is not a knock,, but it is the truth. It is like going to an airshow the Pitts Special biplane is a tough plane to fly, and puts on a good show, but in terms of sheer popularity it has nothing for the F15. Sheer power wins out, in terms of fans and sponsors.
Old 06-12-2009
Banned

Default Real Issue-No Pro Stocks on Main Street!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnitro07 View Post
Larry, the reason I said Nitro instead of breaking it down into FC/TF/PS is that PS is lightyears behind both Funny Car and Top fuel in other words, BOTH nitro classes. I am not saying PS racing is not extremely competitive, it is, but is not as popular with fans as the Nitro classes. That is not a knock,, but it is the truth. It is like going to an airshow the Pitts Special biplane is a tough plane to fly, and puts on a good show, but in terms of sheer popularity it has nothing for the F15. Sheer power wins out, in terms of fans and sponsors.
Again your running all over the map. I love nitro because of the power but for real 1/4 mile racing, the best competition, close racing, less oil downs, all around racers, full 16 car qualifying you can make a strong case that Pro Stock is the most exciting class. But each to his own favorites. The real issue here is that NHRA didn't have Pro Stock on Wall Street. Does NHRA fear that Pro Stock would become more popular than Funny if they got equal billing????
Old 06-12-2009
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Does NHRA fear that Pro Stock would become more popular than Funny if they got equal billing????
Larry, you are joking, right?

Tags
crazy talk, pro stock, wall street