CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Sportsman

Old 11-29-2010

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Yes, the DrakPaks you see on the track in Stock and S/S are about a thousand pounds lighter than the street version of 4,200 pounds (which, by the way, are not in the Classification Guide, and not legal for Stock). But, the lightweight DrakPaks and CobraJets, which you can not buy from ANY dealer anywhere in the country, are legal. Until about ten years ago, the rule for Stock was:

"500 units of an accepted body style. All cars in Stock Classes must be factory production assembled, showroom available, and in the hands of the general public".

Anything less, and they were S/S only. '64 T-bolts, '64, '65 and '68 Race Hemis and the Hurst AMX's had between 50-100 each, and were relegated to S/S-only, along with some Corvettes. Anything less than 50, and it's not legal in S/S either, at least it was before. The new cars meet NONE of the requirement.

NHRA did add a line in Stock several years ago, that "OEM may apply for inclusion of any special production runs into the Official NHRA Stock Classification Guide. Special runs must include a minimum of fifty units of an already accepted body style, need not be showroom available. Applications evaluated on an individual basis. Acceptance will not imply precedence". So now, we get the new cars that were never really built (though the 50 car rule allows the '64 Ford Thunderbolts into AA/S and A/S). However, the Challenger was not an "already accepted body style", so I don't know how that rule works. NHRA just makes them up as they go.

So now, we have a rash of new, never factory built cars outrunning a lot of good cars by SEVERAL TENTHS, with super soft factory ratings that NHRA bought (literally and figuratively). Hopefully the soon to be announced new AHFS will help bring things in line. But while it might factor the new cars quicker, it'll also hurt the older cars, and not much will be gained.
Looking for 2016 S/SS Race Sponsors. Contact Me if interested
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator

I wouldn't doubt that they took that many pounds off these porkers,....I just can't find the shipping weight on the CJ.

Nothing in the specs here..... http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/HeroCard11.asp , althought the parts list gives some clues. Nothing in the Owner's Guide either (see the link on the webpage.).

I've gotta say, while I do sympathize with those on the short end of the stick in this deal, these cars are so cool..... I want one. But I would be figuring out how to get plates hung off the bumpers......

----------------------------
Old 11-29-2010

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I wouldn't doubt that they took that many pounds off these porkers,....I just can't find the shipping weight on the CJ.

Nothing in the specs here..... http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/HeroCard11.asp , althought the parts list gives some clues. Nothing in the Owner's Guide either (see the link on the webpage.).

I've gotta say, while I do sympathize with those on the short end of the stick in this deal, these cars are so cool..... I want one. But I would be figuring out how to get plates hung off the bumpers......
The shipping weight on the 2010 DragPak, per the NHRA Classification Guide is 3,200 pounds. The 2010 CobraJets weigh between 2,980 to 3,305 (hardtops), depending on engine.

The cars ARE cool. And if it brings more fans, media, manufacturer interest, and new drivers and cars to Stock and S/S, I am all for it. I just wish NHRA had done the right thing and rated them fairly, for comepetition's sake.

P.S. All cars shipping weights, factory and NHRA-rated horsepower factors can be found at http://www.nhra.com/competition/classification.aspx
Old 11-29-2010

stock and super stock racers should boycott the winters...not one entry from no one...see how good it works then.
Old 11-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 vette View Post
stock and super stock racers should boycott the winters...not one entry from no one...see how good it works then.
ssshhhhhoooot....you can barely get two Class Racers to agree on what color the sky is.

Yes, a boycott would be the only way, but sadly, I don't see that happening.
Old 11-29-2010

The aluminum block should shave about 100 pounds off the front of the car. If it is the same block that is in the 2011 GT500 it will not even have iron liners.

I love having the cars in stock but give them the correct rating. Does NHRA really believe these cars make 430 HP?
Old 11-29-2010

Stock 2011 GT500 on dyno: 479 Horsepower, 455 lbs ft torque. That is at the rear wheels. Figuring 15% drive train loss, that is 551 HP at the crank. That's a little more than 430.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GZH0f8J810
Old 11-30-2010

Just wondering what the race computers say they should be putting out if you plug in the weight and ETs they're running? I too find it hard to believe that the new 5.0L N/A BOSS motor puts out 10 more HP (440 vs. 430) than the 5.4L Blown engine in the CJ, does not compute. Why would anyone buy a CJ when you can get a stock GT and with a tune have as much, unless there is more HP than that? Heck, the stock GT500 is rated 550HP and they detune the CJ by 120HP, yeah right. Has anyone raced a CJ vs. a GT500?
Old 11-30-2010

Ford is playing the game, just like others have done in the past. They are putting a factory rating out that is very soft so the cars are appealing to the racer/buyer. The CJ's make around 750 to 800 horsepower. If your cup of tea is to listen to all the moaning and groaning nothing beats classracer.com they cry buckets over at that site about the CJ's and the DP cars. NHRA needs to just make a FX class in Stock so all the older combos can keep racing. The solution is way to simple for anyone at NHRA to adopt.
Old 11-30-2010
Brewcrew

Guys I think you need to take this info on the 2012 Mustang Cobra Jet with a little skepticism. Think about it, this info was leaked from a Ford dealership in Puerto Rico and not officially from Ford itself. My god the 2011 V-6 Mustang is rated over 300 hp so there is no way that a 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine is only generating 430 hp.
The 2012 Mustang is supposed to undergo a slight body style change and there is still a lot of mystery of what this pony will be all about.
I would wait for the official specs from the horses mouth (Ford) before jumping to conclusions.

Tags
2012, cobra jet, drag-pak