CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-04-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
I realize this is an older pic but something like this. Dam that looks good.

Johnny "Lightning" Wiker's F150 looks much the same now as it did then.

----------------------------
Old 02-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Come on Hemi... Couldn't you get into a stock sheet metal, big tubed Ram with a T/F motor in it?

(Make it a crewcab for Dixon's passengers.)
lol... could just put a load of CH3No2 i the truck in that link I posted last night. Cadodtto's real good and blowing his stuff up!
Old 02-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
lol... could just put a load of CH3No2 i the truck in that link I posted last night. Cadodtto's real good and blowing his stuff up!
He is fun to watch.
Old 02-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
He is fun to watch.
Loyds of London paid for one meltdown, but then refused to do so again because he failed to call them within 24 hr.s of a second "incident". He then had some major wiring problems in the staging lanes at Milan last year. There were also rumours going around about him racing while intoxicated and a petition to get him off the track.
Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Loyds of London paid for one meltdown, but then refused to do so again because he failed to call them within 24 hr.s of a second "incident". He then had some major wiring problems in the staging lanes at Milan last year. There were also rumours going around about him racing while intoxicated and a petition to get him off the track.
My mistake. I was meaning Johnny "Lightning" Wiker. I don't think I've seen Cadotto run.
Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by odspice14 View Post
Unless it's nitro funny trucks people won't care.
Yep, need more of that 4 wide traveling circus.
Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Thanks Roger. So the class had a dedicated sposnor (kind of like what P/S need now). What ws the time window of this all going down? For some reason I just never followed the whole deal. Did NHRA kill the class lie mid-season? Did they now say "the class won't be retruning next season" and finih out the year?
The trucks ran at select races in 1997 as a preview, then full bore in 1998. Their initial setup was to have the top 4 quickest trucks of every manufacturer make the field. It was possible if you were the 6th quickest Chevy with a 7.68 you could DNQ while a struggling Ford ran 8.02 and made the show. It eventually became the quickest 16 race. They used to run Saturday eliminations then a split Saturday and Sunday eliminations. Unfortunately they got very little tv time. The TNN races would show the final rounds only. You might get lucky and catch earlier rounds on the ESPN races. Then when it went to ESPN2 in 2001 they were supposed to get more air time but still had semi and final round coverage at best as they tried to cram 5 pro classes into one show. In July 2001 the NHRA announced their 2002 schedule and the restructuring and elimination of PST as a professional category just before the Seattle event. I was unaware of Chevrolet sponsoring the class. It was run under the Winston banner and Winston left at the conclusion of 2001. It is possible that Coca-Cola (PowerADE) chose not to have it as a class or want to include it as part of its payouts. Mike Coughlin was the final race winner and Bob Panella the final Winston Champion, his 3rd consecutive. Larry Kopp was the only other champion in the first season.

Here are some links you can read about it and the reactions.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r2001#indextop

Reading some of the things sounds eerily similar to the current Pro Stock discussions... including the lack of Nitro cars that are supposed to be "the show." Also some of the NHRA's comments "after much discussion with the truck teams and drivers and owners.." yet the drivers and owners they interview say the NHRA completely blindsided them.
Old 02-05-2018

Thanks de. I'd sure like to know the details and acutual results of their lawsuit.
Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Thanks de. I'd sure like to know the details and acutual results of their lawsuit.
Not sure - but pretty sure the settlement included a no disclosure clause. Smells kind of like politics doesn't it.
Old 02-05-2018

As much as I enjoyed Pro Stock Truck I did start to get sick of the all Chevy garbage that started to happen. Of course when it comes to drag racing people act like the only manufacturer on the planet is Chevrolet and General Motors. It literally drives me insane. I remember thinking why can Ford go fast in NASCAR (excuse who still holds the speed record, Ford, cough, cough) but struggle in NHRA.

It's funny how many people have come around to the Windsor block, 20 years after they stopped producing it.

If NHRA ever did do anything like this (I have a better chance of landing on the moon tomorrow) it would have to be done with production based engines. If production based engines aren't utilized then I would no longer care.