CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-11-2018

I may get the All Access for Gainesville, specifically to see class racing and FSS. Not really interested in he rest of it. Maybe they can get Beyonce to do commentary for the fuel classes......
Old 02-11-2018

Maybe the Snowman's day is coming soon?
Old 02-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1118 View Post
I'm going to get hammered here, but I'm used to it.

It's obvious that today's motorsports marketing folks aren't geared to old time geezer long time racers in their 60s like me. Not even the same sport. Not even close.

I mean, an interview with Caitlyn Jenner to see what he (her) thinks about fuel racing? Are you kidding me?? No disrespect to him (her), but who cares?? And, some other guy who is friends with Anton Brown? Who in the world is that??

I realize that none of us geezers have foreheads and we all walk on our knuckles, but, What happened to the gnarly old racers that built this sport? I'll stick to the Nostalgia stuff.
I'm not so sure that today's motor sports marketing folks aren't geared to old time geezer long time racers in their 60s like us. Our $$$ being spent is equally valuable as is today's entitlement generation. Weather it's some thing that want to partially change it's sex or some talent less Kim K. If what ever gets other newbies to tune in & /or put out $$$ going to the track, it a good thing.
Old 02-11-2018

Itís over produced rubbish now. Itís all human interest pieces now. Racing seems secondary at times with fox
Old 02-11-2018

Gotta disagree a bit. When you reach a mature age, you are a bit more careful and wise about what you spend. That's why major purchases aren't geared toward us, we already own houses, cars, etc., and are not going to spend a lot on frivilous stuff.

The young folks they are trying to get to the races are the ones who are going to the bars, spending big bucks on food and stupid stuff (like we used to do), t shirts and all the other gadgets that they now sell at the races. Guys like us will pay our entry, bring our own food, and pretty much watch the buck, and leave when we are beaten or done. Two different markets. Most of the young folks don't care what they spend, just break out the Visa card. I know I was like that in my twenties, my kids were like that in their twenties before marriage and responsibility......I get it.

In this social climate, the opinions of a Caitlyn Jenner or the guy who is friends with Anton Brown (whatever he does, and whoever he is), does have an impact on some of the younger, more hip viewers. To guys like me, it means absolutely nothing and we find it, generally, a waste of air time. I get that, and I really don't resent it, but I'm really not interested in watching it. I just understand it. It just marks a changing time, and I much prefer the older, more pure days with less emphasis on marketing and bullcrap. Today, someone slaps a Toyota decal on 426 Chrysler based Hemi engine and sells it as a Toyota, and everyone buys into it. As mentioned, maybe we didn't have foreheads and we walked on our knuckles, and were very unsophisticated, but to me it was much, much better.
Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
I haven't watched yet... did she just happen to be there or what?
She went to the wrong drag event.
Old 02-12-2018

I zip thru all the filler such as the interviews now. Just wanna see the racing. Fox production is just not happening for me. So over the top now
Old 02-12-2018

Instead of editing her in, they could have used that time to have the National Anthem at the beginning before they fire 'em up.

The beginning of the year, the best start in motorsports, and they continue to not utlize it. Every major sporting event uses this opening and NHRA continues to just plop right into staging right after Rieff/Tony jib jab trying to cram a bunch of stuff in one breath. It sets off a boring tone right out of the gate.
Old 02-12-2018

It seems their more interested now with confrontation of gray and Laughlin again.
Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
It seems their more interested now with confrontation of gray and Laughlin again.
Well everyone says they want rivalries, drama and confrontation...... .