CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-28-2011

Oil-downs and 1000' aren't helping fill the seats.
Old 02-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
NHRA is finding out that this can't go on. Blocking out the sportsman classes and Pro Stock with this turtle schedule that isn't working. And it's showing with lots of empty seats. The dragsters and funnys are averaging about 8 to 10 minutes per pair during qualifying. This takes into consideration cleaning the track, oil clean ups and general track checks. The truth is that nitro has reached the point where they are out of control.. They run on the edge of disaster every race. They simply have to much power to control. If the track is to damp, it's to hot or perhaps the traction is to good. Someone will again get hurt or killed this year unless someone finally says this is enough. Let's hope it doesn't happen to spectators.
People want to see the quickest and fastest cars. With this you are going to get oil and parts on the track. No one will show up to watch the Pro Stock and Sportsman filler classes without the nitro cars. You should be happy that they got your favorite class in this weekend.
Old 02-28-2011

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Flyer View Post
People want to see the quickest and fastest cars. With this you are going to get oil and parts on the track. No one will show up to watch the Pro Stock and Sportsman filler classes without the nitro cars. You should be happy that they got your favorite class in this weekend.
People also want to be entertained, and watching the nitro crew chiefs inspecting the track before every session is not my idea of being entertained. I am also not entertained by watching oil cleanups which are a regular part of nitro racing. Give me Pro Stock and the Sportsman classes any day, every day!
Old 02-28-2011

The sportsman racing is considerably better than the pro in many ways, but as it stands now the "fans" will continue to leave because the NHRA and the way they have the announcing set up does not intrigue the average person to stick around and give it a shot.

Any gearhead, petrolhead, car nut, etc will be in the stands and watching on TV if they broadcast it.

But on the topic of broadcast. The current use of vantage camera angles coupled with a progressive zoom or "un-zoom" leaves the viewer without any actual feeling of speed, which severely hurts the broadcast element. Not as much as Paul Paige though.
Old 02-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
Give me Pro Stock and the Sportsman classes any day, every day!
Agreed.

Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Flyer View Post
People want to see the quickest and fastest cars. With this you are going to get oil and parts on the track.
If i wanted to see an oil spill clean up i would go to the gulf of mexico.

Tags
crazy talk