CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012
Banned

Default Well Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver View Post
You do know that a good size chunk of that was not race winnings but Shiv-a-lay checks dontcha?
Jenkins won 8 NHRA national events and the payouts from contingencies were huge. Probably $20,000 an event. He also won the $35,000 plus contingenies in Oklahoma at the independent race held during the NHRA Nationals. He also won a number of AHRA and IHRA events. This $250,000 didn't even include at least 30 match races against the likes of Nicholson and Sox. I would think he made well over 350,000 gross. In 1972 that was a lot of money. I don't know what he got from Chevy but this even adds more money.
Old 02-24-2012
Banned

I've seen Nicholson, Sox and Jenkins schedule match race 4 times a week many times. Budd's Creek, 75-80, Capitol Raceway, York, Englishtown, Atco, Cecil Co and Richmond within 2 weeks. Nicholson used to say he made much more money match racing. Sometimes he passed up National Events because he would have to win or runnerup to equal the match races he would give up. Sometimes Jenkins and Nicholson were match racing a second car with another driver while they were at another event.
Old 02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohelper View Post
Some weeks we ran three dates at different tracks for guaranteed money, the only reason to run NHRA was to get the exposure to book match races,or to get sponsor money...
THAT is a part of the popularity equation that is missing nowadays. It's a shame something like that can't happen again.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Old 02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohelper View Post
We still need a source for your statement...Are you stating winnings or total income including his engine business ?
Keith Black , Ed Pink & Ed Donovan sold many more dollars in Nitro engines during those days than any gas burner...
I owned a T/F in '72 and know that we grossed far more money from match racing than Pro-Stocks won from NHRA ...
Some weeks we ran three dates at different tracks for guaranteed money, the only reason to run NHRA was to get the exposure to book match races,or to get sponsor money...
As you see from his later post this guy is either IT challenged or to lazy to post a link and other than the two line blurb by NHRA. has no clue about Jenkins financials let alone racings.
I figure he'll go away if nobody responds anymore.
Old 02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Sometimes Jenkins and Nicholson were match racing a second car with another driver while they were at another event.
Remember Jungle Jim's Pro Stocker?

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk