CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 10-14-2007
Banned

Smile Courage and Heart!

Bruton Smith not only has brains but he also has heart and courage. He wasn't bluffing when he said he would take the strip and Lowes to another area. The Concord officials realized this and changed their decision. It still irritates me they those officials would do such an unethical thing. I don't think I'll ever forget the words, " except a drag strip!"
Old 10-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427
Bruton Smith not only has brains but he also has heart and courage. He wasn't bluffing when he said he would take the strip and Lowes to another area. The Concord officials realized this and changed their decision. It still irritates me they those officials would do such an unethical thing. I don't think I'll ever forget the words, " except a drag strip!"
thats blackmail. doesnt take brains to make a statement like that.
Old 10-14-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot
So by being smart, do you mean he hit the media, internet boards and magazines pushing the issue that other big business that want to expand and build should stay out of Charlotte? Look to build elsewhere?

Thats basically all he did was threaten to take away revenue from the town to get his way. You can call it smart, but I call it blackmail, and yes they make their billions either way.
What ever works!

And if you don't think folks took him seriously, other cities were offering FREE land, grading, AND tax breaks to boot! It's just smart business. He parleyed a local issue into a very strong position for himself, and got a bunch of press while doing it.

The more I learn about Bruton, the more I like the guy, from a business stand point. The guy is sharp, and hires the best people to run his tracks. And his tracks are some of the best there are. That's a winning combination in my book.
Old 10-14-2007
Plain Vanilla

Quote:
I think perhaps you should look up the definition of blackmail...........I think your version has left the building
Old 10-14-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Here's another way to look at this.

Cities, as in tax payers, fund sports complexes all of the time, just to bring a team to a city, or KEEP them there. The professional football, baseball, and basketball teams get billion dollar handouts, basically. THEN, when the stadium gets old, or the team sucks, and attendance drops, the team owner threatens to move the team somewhere else. And like magic, the city condemns some land, and spends several bushel baskets full of money, building a new state of the art palace for these ungrateful SOBs. OR, if said SOBs don't get their way, some OTHER city does the same thing all on the taxpayers dime!

And don't get me started on local high schools, and the stadiums they build! Football is a religion in Texas and they build some serious stadiums!!

NOW look at Bruton Smith, or any other track owner. They raise all of the money on their own. If the facility needs improvements, in order to keep the fans, or racers happy, they raise that money too, or suffer along.

At best, at best, an owner may get some tax breaks and help with improvement to existing roads, to allow for easier access. But you rarely see a facility that the tax payers built.

Now in either scenario, the local economy gets a boost. Both facilities are generally seen as an asset to the area. The only difference is one is payed for buy the people, one by the promoter.

Which one is really "blackmailing" the city?
Old 10-14-2007
Banned

Smile Bruton Smith a Great American!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
Here's another way to look at this.

Cities, as in tax payers, fund sports complexes all of the time, just to bring a team to a city, or KEEP them there. The professional football, baseball, and basketball teams get billion dollar handouts, basically. THEN, when the stadium gets old, or the team sucks, and attendance drops, the team owner threatens to move the team somewhere else. And like magic, the city condemns some land, and spends several bushel baskets full of money, building a new state of the art palace for these ungrateful SOBs. OR, if said SOBs don't get their way, some OTHER city does the same thing all on the taxpayers dime!

And don't get me started on local high schools, and the stadiums they build! Football is a religion in Texas and they build some serious stadiums!!

NOW look at Bruton Smith, or any other track owner. They raise all of the money on their own. If the facility needs improvements, in order to keep the fans, or racers happy, they raise that money too, or suffer along.

At best, at best, an owner may get some tax breaks and help with improvement to existing roads, to allow for easier access. But you rarely see a facility that the tax payers built.

Now in either scenario, the local economy gets a boost. Both facilities are generally seen as an asset to the area. The only difference is one is payed for buy the people, one by the promoter.

Which one is really "blackmailing" the city?
Good job of writing Gary. In Maryland some of us fought to stop funding by taxpayers for Camden Yard Baseball stadium and the Ravens football stadium. But these are your sacred cow sports and they will usually win out. It's hard to believe that some of the posts are so short sighted that they don't understand that Bruton Smith has done such an outstanding job of standing up for our sport. Smith you are a great American!!
Old 10-14-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427
Good job of writing Gary. In Maryland some of us fought to stop funding by taxpayers for Camden Yard Baseball stadium and the Ravens football stadium. But these are your sacred cow sports and they will usually win out. It's hard to believe that some of the posts are so short sighted that they don't understand that Bruton Smith has done such an outstanding job of standing up for our sport. Smith you are a great American!!
Here's what having more money than God will get you:

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/
Old 10-14-2007

call smart, blackmail or whatever you want. Maybe its more like a kids playing baseball in the park and the kid that brought the ball pouts and says he is gonna take the ball home so nobody can play. the deal was gonna get done. even if the town gets a dollar tax on tickets for the races thats a quarter of a million per year. I just dont agree making this guy out as being some never before seen smarter than trump businessman because he threatened to take his racetracks and go home. If you really think about it, putting a dragstrip in the heart of nascar country isnt a real smart business move and a track would probably have made money in a more drag race friendly community.
Old 10-14-2007
gary4205

Quote:
call smart, blackmail or whatever you want. Maybe its more like a kids playing baseball in the park and the kid that brought the ball pouts and says he is gonna take the ball home so nobody can play. the deal was gonna get done. even if the town gets a dollar tax on tickets for the races thats a quarter of a million per year. I just dont agree making this guy out as being some never before seen smarter than trump businessman because he threatened to take his racetracks and go home. If you really think about it, putting a dragstrip in the heart of nascar country isnt a real smart business move and a track would probably have made money in a more drag race friendly community.
Trust me, Concord is just as drag racing friendly as anywhere, and with Humpy Wheeler at the helm, you can bet few if any tickets will ever go unsold.

I'll be honest, I was never the biggest Smith fan, but the guy knows what he is doing, and certainly knows how to build an A1, first class facility.

That, and he doesn't have a ridiculous comb over like Trump!
Old 10-14-2007
Trace Meyer

Quote:
i think the point Bruton Smith is making here and now is that it's his racing complex. the complex is (was) zoned for motorsports. the Concord people changed that overnight. how they did it is illegal. they forced Mr. Smith to make an overnight decision regarding his property. Concord is now paying for their mistake.

Tags
crazy talk