CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010
Banned

Thumbs down ESPN Coverage Poor!!

You could have called the coverage of The Finals at Pomona The John Force Show!! Redundately showing Forces Dallas crash, hospital stay, his philosophies on things from his football days to his courage and successes. His over coverage of going in front of the stands. His interviews Over and Over!! Yet they skipped two rounds of coverage of Pro Stock!! They backed up on the coverage and showed 2 pair of PSs in the first round, total time about 30 seconds. The second round coverage of Pro Stock lasted maybe 1 and 1/2 minutes in break neck speed. Thank you NHRA to the PS fans, sponsors and racers. Then there was John Hagen Sulking at the top end of the track.. My PS friends at the house were a mixture of embarassment and laugher watching Hagan's Head down looking devastated. They showed Hagen continue to sulk like a child over and over. ESPN and NHRA Please!! Finally Hagen said "I can't hold my head down and sulk." Perhaps good acting?? The coverage had a lot of good drama but ESPN you couldn't stop repeating a good thing!!
Old 11-15-2010

Gotta agree with you on this one Larry. I didn't understand how the last event which was known to be a multi-championship event was scheduled to be a half hour shorter than a standard event.
I think the bigger story was Dixon breaking Schumacher's 6 year stranglehold on the T/F class. And I bet even IF Dixon would have had a crash like Force's, he still would have not got the same over-the-top coverage. As to Matt, I wouldn't say he was sulking, but just wanted some alone time to reflect and think things through for a little while, but ESPN just wouldn't give it to him. I don't understand the thrill people seem to get seeing a man get crushed. It's not as if I really care for or like the rich daddy's boy (our sport is way overloaded with those) but D*%$! Leave a guy alone when he wishes to be left alone. He did speak and gave a very professional interview before the event came to a close.
Old 11-15-2010

Send a message via AIM to chad rhodes Send a message via Yahoo to chad rhodes

the PS coverage was awful.
Old 11-15-2010

I didn't have a huge problem with the coverage. I think there was too much Force, but that happens pretty much every broadcast. The real question is, and this was probably addressed before, is why has coverage switched to ESPN the last few weeks instead of ESPN2? And why has the coverage been cut a half hour to 2.5hrs instead of 3?

In ESPN's defense, they likely cut out some Pro Stock because the title was already decided and chose to focus their reduced time frame on the other 3 classes where the title was in play. I do think they could have not wasted so much time on the JF stuff and at least shown the first two first two rounds of Pro Stock though.

As I was watching the coverage, I didn't really have much care or concern about what was happening in PS because the title was already decided. The other storylines were much more exciting, especially in FC and PSB.
Old 11-15-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Gotta agree with you on this one Larry. I didn't understand how the last event which was known to be a multi-championship event was scheduled to be a half hour shorter than a standard event.
I think the bigger story was Dixon breaking Schumacher's 6 year stranglehold on the T/F class. And I bet even IF Dixon would have had a crash like Force's, he still would have not got the same over-the-top coverage. As to Matt, I wouldn't say he was sulking, but just wanted some alone time to reflect and think things through for a little while, but ESPN just wouldn't give it to him. I don't understand the thrill people seem to get seeing a man get crushed. It's not as if I really care for or like the rich daddy's boy (our sport is way overloaded with those) but D*%$! Leave a guy alone when he wishes to be left alone. He did speak and give a very professional interview before the event came to a close.
Hemi I also thought the coverage of Dixon was good. The Pro Stock coverage was so unfair to the class and the racing was fantastic. As for Matt I don't understand why he was so crushed? Unlike the Harley racer Hines, he didn't red light away the championship. The car failed and he had a good light. ESPN should have let Hagen alone. By the way Hines handled the lose in a better fashion.
Old 11-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad rhodes View Post
the PS coverage was awful.
It was awesome, showing the first round results after pro stock motorcycles round got us right back into nitro.
Old 11-15-2010

Well what the hell were they supposed to cover? The fact that the PS Championship had already been decided? Or that all Larry had to do was win in round 1?

There was only one Championship story to cover and that was John Force and Matt Hagen. And John was the only Championship contender to come back from what easily could have been a career ending injury. Plus the guy is over 60 years old and that makes his comeback even more amazing. John's qualifying efforts made it possible for him to stay in the fight and his performance in eliminations made it happen after Matt went down in round 1.
Old 11-15-2010

I watched qualifing on saturday night looking for some Pro Stock coverage. ESPN, you have the ABSOLUTE WORST COVERAGE! I am happy for Greg Anderson & all, good for him BUT FINSH THE REST OF THE PRO STOCK COVERAGE.

Did not get to see V. Gaines AT ALL, hell they barley even showed A.J.'s run which was in car but that was IT.

I was so upset that once I heard that Hagen lost and Force won the championship I had no desire to even watch the finals last night because I knew that it was going to be a broadcast of "The John Force Show".

Thanks for confirming that for me, now I am happy that I did not waste my time watching it.
Old 11-15-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
Well what the hell were they supposed to cover? The fact that the PS Championship had already been decided? Or that all Larry had to do was win in round 1?

There was only one Championship story to cover and that was John Force and Matt Hagen. And John was the only Championship contender to come back from what easily could have been a career ending injury. Plus the guy is over 60 years old and that makes his comeback even more amazing. John's qualifying efforts made it possible for him to stay in the fight and his performance in eliminations made it happen after Matt went down in round 1.
Baloney!! It's about covering all the great classes. Do you think if the Nitro championships were over that they wouldn't show the first round of nitro?? Who cares what age Force is?? He doesn't work on the car like a Warren Johnson!! Of course Force is a great racer but he is over exposed and the greatest class, Pro Stock, is getting the shaft. My Pro Stock friends came over to watch Pro Stock and all the classes. They were understandably disappointed. Until we saw PS we were ready to turn off ESPN.
Old 11-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Baloney!! It's about covering all the great classes. Do you think if the Nitro championships were over that they wouldn't show the first round of nitro?? Who cares what age Force is?? He doesn't work on the car like a Warren Johnson!! Of course Force is a great racer but he is over exposed and the greatest class, Pro Stock, is getting the shaft. My Pro Stock friends came over to watch Pro Stock and all the classes. They were understandably disappointed. Until we saw PS we were ready to turn off ESPN.
I love Pro Stock but, please, lets be real. This was the finals and there was a Championship up for grabs. It just so happens that the Championship was for Top Fuel Funny Car.

If WJ had been in a similar wreck, went through a long and painful rehabilitation, came back and got into a Championship fight in the last event of the year with Dave Connoly, there would have been just as much coverage because it is a COMPELLING story.

This year the compelling story involved John Force.

Tags
crazy talk