CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011

Oil downs are like ugly strippers.... some dont like em... some love em... but either way you have to sit through them to get to the great ones...

Billy
Old 01-01-2011

ok like Larry, I enjoy pro-stock the most, and I think they need to speed up the clean-ups, or work to eliminate them. But the oil-downs and explosions will not be the end of Nitro.

The skyrocketing cost, and tire explosions will be the death of Nitro. One more death from tire chunking, or tire trouble and the resulting bad press / lawsuit. Goodyear is going to say enough, this is a loosing battle and leave the game. And I don't see anyone else that will want to make tires.

If that don't do it crazy prices, or government regulation on the actual fuel will be the end of nitro.

But I agree if the oil down happens when your at the track get up and see the greatest car show anywhere.
Old 01-01-2011

I have been going to NHRA national events every year since the 80's. I've been to E-Town, Maple Grove, and Phoenix.

I have been to events that had long delays caused by oil on the track from a fuel car blowing its motor apart. I agree that the delays were no fun and it would be nice if those issues could be eliminated.

But there is a far more sinister threat to a national event. A threat so evil that it actually caused an entire event to be canceled and held at a later date. That fiend was rain.

In all my years of going to races oil-downs have caused maybe 10% of the grief that rain has. Get rid of the rain and you're on to something.
Old 01-01-2011

zzzzzzz omg not again...

wasn't there a forum rule created because of this? "The following is not permitted: Repetitious posts on the same subject spread throughout the forum."
Old 01-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratonabike View Post
zzzzzzz omg not again...

wasn't there a forum rule created because of this? "The following is not permitted: Repetitious posts on the same subject spread throughout the forum."
He's asking a legitimate question Ratty. What's the policy going to be in 2011? I haven't seen this thread before.

Here's another rule: "Personal attacks against forum members & drag racing's personalities."

Where do you draw the line?
Old 01-01-2011

guys..please relax it's a new year...we have all enjoyed the sport for 20 to 40 years...lets let the nhra figure out how the fix the oil down problem..Larry the nitro cars are the big show.....and we love to see the pro stock and sportsman..but the nitro cars will selll the tix...give them a chance to fix....everyone make a pack..quit arguiing...the only time i was ok with the clean ups, was when my sportsman car was still in the show..its a different outlook if you are still racing or sitting in the stands.
Old 01-02-2011
Super Moderator

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
In all my years of going to races oil-downs have caused maybe 10% of the grief that rain has.
I too have been all over the country to see national events. Maple Grove to Pomona. Denver, Atlanta, Indy, Joliet, Brainerd, Houston, Dallas, Memphis (RIP), & more. The rain is indeed the demon here. I flew out out to Pomona and got to see exactly one round before the entire event was pushed back until the following weekend. This after buying the 3 day event passes!

I'll take the 30 or 45 minute delays, I don't particularly care for them but it is expected and not surprising.
Old 01-02-2011

Default Answer to Larry's Question:

I'd like to see how limiting the number of engines (or shortblocks) per weekend would work. Not sure what the number should be, but 4 might be a good starting point.
Old 01-02-2011
Administrator

Exclamation The Last Word....

Top to bottom.......

Does anyone know if any and what changes have been made to correct these event disruptions??

Why not wait for an official announcement, rather than trying to stir up unwanted speculation.

Oh look.....it's this thread again.

Sorry 'bout that.......

my new years resolution:IGNORE

Everyone has the option....see here. http://forum.competitionplus.com/faq...ublesome_users

as long as you keep supporting these kinds of dialogue, it won't stop. You are doing exactly what is expected of you.

That's right.....If you think it's nonsense, or is intended to to needlessly stir things up, don't read and/or don't respond. The thread will die on it's own.

Many of the solutions for oil clean up and reducing the explosions have been discussed.

Over, and over, and........

Oildowns won't be the demise of drag racing, any more than your whining about it will save it.

Excellent point.....

But there is a far more sinister threat to a national event.....That fiend was rain.

wasn't there a forum rule created because of this?

Yes..... And it will now be enforced just as vigorously as the others.

Here's another rule: "Personal attacks against forum members & drag racing's personalities."

A very small number of posts were deleted from this thread for that reason.

The End.......

----------------------------
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk