CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-27-2011
Banned

Thumbs down 17 Minutes of Pro Stock!

At around 9:30 AM on Saturday they had a hail and rain shower at Pomona. Eliminations were delayed from 11:00 AM to 12:15 PM. From 12:15 PM to 6:00 PM, except for 17 minutes of smooth running Pro Stock, funny cars, dragsters in alcohol and nitro were the only cars to run that day. Additionally they dropped the second round of Pro Stock even though it look but 17 minutes to run the first round??? Drag racing is suppose to be a diversity of racing classes for the fans and racers. Of course there were no fans. The smallest Saturday crowd I've seen in all my years at Pomona!! Something must be fixed in order to have a smooth, TIMELY, efficient and orderly running of the nitros.
Old 02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
At around 9:30 AM on Saturday they had a hail and rain shower at Pomona. Eliminations were delayed from 11:00 AM to 12:15 PM. From 12:15 PM to 6:00 PM, except for 17 minutes of smooth running Pro Stock, funny cars, dragsters in alcohol and nitro were the only cars to run that day. Additionally they dropped the second round of Pro Stock even though it look but 17 minutes to run the first round??? Drag racing is suppose to be a diversity of racing classes for the fans and racers. Of course there were no fans. The smallest Saturday crowd I've seen in all my years at Pomona!! Something must be fixed in order to have a smooth, TIMELY, efficient and orderly running of the nitros.
isn't the main issue the weather? i mean, they are the 'Winter'nationals... and even though it's SoCal, it IS february... i would guess it's pretty much the luck of the draw depending on how mother nature feels... and she's a pretty finicky gal.... women can be that way sometimes..
Old 02-27-2011
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Something must be fixed in order to have a smooth, TIMELY, efficient and orderly running of the nitros.
Sounds vaguely familiar...
Old 02-27-2011

Quote:
You shoudn't even need your calculator to figure out that Nhra did an "AWESOME" job getting this deal in this weekend. Thanks to the "HARD WORKING" crew from Nhra, we only missed 1 round of qualifying. Everyone figured it would be a washout. So If you missed seeing some your classes, "BIG FREAKING DEAL." PS. You don't need to respond to this, because I don't have time to read it anyway. I have a race to go to. [Thanks to Nhra.]
Old 02-27-2011

The NHRA may have done a great job but ESPN did a miserable job.

Preempting the qualifying of the opening round of the NHRA season to show us two guys (who didn't appear to be at the top of the pro class) bowling was not a surprise but still annoying. Just wait until tonight, there a a woman's college basketball game listed before the drag race coverage. I'm sure that the final 2 minutes of the game will take 15 minutes to complete and push back the coverage.

The amount of time spent showing Top Fuel burnouts and cars backing up at the expense Pro Stock was beyond stupid and any Pro Stock team/sponsor should be insulted.
Old 02-27-2011

The nhra is starting to become a type of "circus"..on a giant scale compared to the ihra.....they want lots of noise, speed, thrills, etc...instead of showing the results of the race....sportsman racing..never mentioned..the sole of the orginization.....unknown viewers think all of the cars are funnys and fuelers...each season its getting worse....for the pros,like john, their living gets better and better..
Old 02-27-2011
Brewcrew

I thought the ESPN coverage of Pomona qualifying was actually pretty decent. Yes it would be nice to have more coverage of the other classes as mentioned by others on this thread. It was good to see other drivers interviewed like Steve Chrisman, Terry McMillan, TJ Zizzo, Erica Enders and others besides the John Force show. It seemed there was new camera angles introduced which added to the visual presentation of qualifying.
Let’s give ESPN a pass for now due to the rain delays and see what happens at Gainesville. Unfortunately the delays of the NHRA telecasts due to bowling, professional checker board championships, ect will never go away which is unfortunate. That is still a raw deal for the viewers and the NHRA.
Old 02-27-2011

I'll have to agree; Pro Stock coverage was pretty lame. It seems as if they could have fit 10 more minutes of PS into the final airing. And I'm not quite sure why nearly an hour was devoted to Q2 Funny Car alone, although having been 3 months without it, I can't say I minded the extended coverage.

As for cancelling PS round 3, NHRA did the right thing. Several cars were getting really loose in round 2. Round 3 most likely would have stood somebody on their head.

In RE the bowling preempt: NHRA qualifying preempted the World Series of Poker by 10 minutes, no doubt pi$$ing off poker fans far and wide. To heck with 'em; let them get a taste of what we've been putting up with for years on end.
Old 02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
The NHRA may have done a great job but ESPN did a miserable job.

Preempting the qualifying of the opening round of the NHRA season to show us two guys (who didn't appear to be at the top of the pro class) bowling was not a surprise but still annoying. Just wait until tonight, there a a woman's college basketball game listed before the drag race coverage. I'm sure that the final 2 minutes of the game will take 15 minutes to complete and push back the coverage.

The amount of time spent showing Top Fuel burnouts and cars backing up at the expense Pro Stock was beyond stupid and any Pro Stock team/sponsor should be insulted.
X2....You hit the nail right on the head there brother......
Old 02-27-2011

Quote:
If they cut out that 17 minutes they might have got something in that someone wanted to see.

Tags
crazy talk