CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2012
Banned

Question Heavy Bet!!

NHRA is making a heavy bet on the Force women to lead drag racing's future. It seems their staking to much on the future of a couple of untested young woman in this nitro category. We saw what happened with Ashley Force who left right before the start of a season. Maybe NHRA should go back to publicizing the other Pro categories and more emphasis on Sportsman classes. It's clear that NHRA is trying to make a few stars for name recognition in the nitro classes, while hiding the other talent in other divisions of our great sport.
Old 02-22-2012

Wouldn't it be up to the individual teams to promote themselves proactively through their own media person? Seems like sponsors would expect some level of exposure for their product/s. Do you think NHRA just ignores them and caters to JFR? Who do think is slighted by media release rejection?
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
NHRA is making a heavy bet on the Force women to lead drag racing's future. It seems their staking to much on the future of a couple of untested young woman in this nitro category. We saw what happened with Ashley Force who left right before the start of a season. Maybe NHRA should go back to publicizing the other Pro categories and more emphasis on Sportsman classes. It's clear that NHRA is trying to make a few stars for name recognition in the nitro classes, while hiding the other talent in other divisions of our great sport.
It's not just the Force women, they are just the most prominent because of that PR machine that is JFR. NHRA has used Alexis as well this year, and they usually use Erica and Melanie when she was full time as well. Really though, how many new, YOUNG/fresh drivers are there in the Pro Ranks? Notice ESPN goes to Massey a lot too! If NHRA drag racing is going to survive, they need to appeal to a young audience. Are a bunch of currently middle aged men still going to be racing 1960's and 1970's muscle cars in 10-15 years in Stock/SS, which are the bread and butter classes for NHRA? There is a generation gap to bridge that isn't being filled as fast as it's being vacated.

You look at it from a marketing perspective.. They are trying to get new butts in the seats and gain interest for more participants and sponsors. They've already got us, and for as much as we whine and complain, we still all watch to some degree (online, on TV, web updates) and most still go to races. So where's the real incentive to make us addicts happy other than sending the cars down the track?

So what gets new butts in seats outside of the normal demographic(middle aged men)? Good looking girl drivers appeal to everyone. Guys are curious because they're good looking and doing cool stuff. Girls because it shows you can be a pretty girl and not just compete, but be successful as well in a male dominated/macho man kind of sport. That's where NHRA has NASCAR by the short and curlies.. We have women racers who are not only competitive with their male counterparts, but look a lot better than most of them too! If I had something that unique to market to the world, I'd be jumping all over it too! Hardcore fans are always more critical until they prove they can drive, but to that effect, normally guy drivers suffer the same plight, but for some reason we tend to be harder on the girl drivers for no other reason than they're girls.

All the publicity is about broadening the demographic and trying to take this sport more mainstream. You can't advertise the Pro ranks as the "every day man can achieve this" kind of thing they used to just because costs are out of control. Now it's the "Everyday Millionaires can achieve this". So how about "If the wicked flames shooting out the pipes, incredible noise and stupid fast speeds don't get you hooked, check out who is driving that machine!"
Old 02-22-2012
Banned

Smile

Justin you make excellent points. Flames and young woman can draw fans. We certainly need to push the young like Massey, EE and Nobile. Door cars are exciting. I just think they need to spread the wealth.
Old 02-22-2012

Come let's troll, take me by the hand!
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm Man View Post
Come let's troll, take me by the hand!
Can I get another verse & some background music with that.
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Justin you make excellent points. Flames and young woman can draw fans. We certainly need to push the young like Massey, EE and Nobile. Door cars are exciting. I just think they need to spread the wealth.
I think with Jeggie's return this year, they'll get a little more coverage. They did quite a bit with Vincent last year too. I think more could be done to educate the fans on Pro Stock racing, but it's really hard to compete with ear shattering, eye watering, flame shooting Nitro rockets just because of the spectacle. When you don't have the instant attention demanding audio and visual effects, you have to make it interesting to the casual fan. Unfortunately a lot of the technology they use in the cars and engines that could make it interesting are usually not things they are willing to share in Pro Stock. It's hard for fans to relate to the technology at work when they don't know!
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by imm man View Post
come let's troll, take me by the hand!
Nailed It!!
Old 02-22-2012
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAtAce View Post
I think with Jeggie's return this year, they'll get a little more coverage. They did quite a bit with Vincent last year too. I think more could be done to educate the fans on Pro Stock racing, but it's really hard to compete with ear shattering, eye watering, flame shooting Nitro rockets just because of the spectacle. When you don't have the instant attention demanding audio and visual effects, you have to make it interesting to the casual fan. Unfortunately a lot of the technology they use in the cars and engines that could make it interesting are usually not things they are willing to share in Pro Stock. It's hard for fans to relate to the technology at work when they don't know!
Yeah, great to have Jeggie back and even with a average car he has done well. Both he and Nobile have got some publicity from NHRA. Let's hope that Courtney stays single. Some of you other guys seem to be off the subject of the post.
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAtAce View Post
Great post! There's a lot of side stories that need to be brought out to engage the masses. There's a lot of those folks in the pits that we don't know a thing about. Nothing can compare to the sheer force of 16,000 hp at the starting line, but a lot more can be done to compete with the mops and tractors that are cleaning and prepping the track. Powerade started strong at that but faded fast.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk