CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-09-2008
Super Moderator

Default Which Teams are affected by the Torco pullout?

Who is missing from this list:
Clay Millican
Jesse Harris
Mike Ashley
Melanie Troxell
Doug Foley
JR Todd
Alan Bradshaw
Gary Densham
Dale Creasy
Dave Connolly
Justin Humphreys
Matt Smith

I believe all of the above had Torco/Knoll/Skull as a primary or major sponsor.

Seems to me that all of the sudden there are a bunch of people scrambling for funding...
Old 01-09-2008

I would imagine, also Angie McBride.
Old 01-09-2008
Administrator

Countless teams in the Sportsman classes...
Old 01-09-2008

How about Rickie Smith with 2 cars, Pro Stock and Pro Mod and the young lady that was going to partner with Clay in Top Fuel
Old 01-09-2008
James Maxwell

Every team in NHRA and IHRA is affected by this. Stop and think about it. Drag racing is filled with cars that have sponsor logos on them. The sponsors "invest" in advertising their services or products on the cars for exposure.

Exposure to the public, via the ones that attend the races and see it on TV. Plus to a smaller degree, see photos on websites and publications.

It's a form of advertising.

So when the marketing types at NHRA and the individual race teams are out pitching to prospective "sponsors" or "marketing partners" or what ever snappy term you want to use, their main claim is that NHRA or IHRA whatever the case, is a good tool for advertising their product or service.

So now, as tragic as the car accident was, here's a "sponsor" that is totally pulling out from what is being said, pulling their cars and car support for 2008.

And the talk is that 2009 will be back to normal.

The question has to be asked: if NHRA and IHRA was such a good place to do all this marketing / promotion / advertising in the first place, why pull it now?

Would this not mean a loss of business for the company? After all, all the viewers of TV and the races will not be seeing the logos throughout the entire 2008 racing season, that can't be good for business, and a good way to get ready for 2009.
Old 01-09-2008

Seems to me there will be many short fields in both HRA's. Seems like half the cars had Torco on their side in the professional classes.

Some people thought this was a dangerous situation for the HRA's to be in. Those people were correct.

I often wondered why Evan didn't just run his own series since he was footing a large part of team operating expenses anyway. Maybe the sponsorships weren't for all that much since he apparently didn't need to fight other sponsors for real estate on the cars.

I haven't been keeping score but it would seem there has been a major exodus of sponsors from drag racing this year. If the HRA's are such a good deal for advertising why don't the marketing departments of the companies recognize this fine opportunity. I would guess it is because all the statements about drag racing being a good deal are B.S. Good deals in most businesses tend to sell themselves after the initial groundwork in marketing is done.
Old 01-09-2008
James Maxwell

Right about NOW is a good time to recognize that NASCAR does not have this problem.
Old 01-09-2008
Banned

Unhappy

I hope NHRA and IHRA can fill there fields and a few cars on the outside to make qualifying interesting??? I wonder what HDP thinks of all this?? I've heard they settle the merger on Jan 31st. This decision by him is so unfair so close to Pomona.
Old 01-09-2008

mike ashley nhra fc
melanie troxel nhra fc
dale creasy ihra fc
matt hagan ihra fc
jr todd nhra tf
clay millican nhra tf
doug foley nhra tf
terry mcmillen ihra tf
jackie harris nhra tf
dave connoly nhra ps
justin humphreys nhra ps
rickie smith nhra/ihra ps
scott cannon pro mod
scotty cannon pro mod
matt smith nhra psm
angie mcbride nhra psm
dave heitzman nhra tad
brian phfifer nhra tad
kate harker nhra tad
dave hirata nhra tad
marty thacker nhra tad
mick snyder nhra tafc
chuck cheeseman nhra tafc
dan dickey nhra tafc
Alan Bradshaw
Gary Densham
Old 01-09-2008
SundayNiagara

Those of us who questioned Knoll's involvement some time ago, were bad-mouthed. I, for one, am not surprised, although the timing is very suspicious.

Tags
evan knoll, torco