CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-06-2009

Default how can we as fans help? and can my opinions work?

how sad is this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two teams who made the full NHRA POWERade Series tour in 2008 have been disbanded since December 13th due to a lack of sponsorship support. Over a half-dozen others have been seriously impacted by economic setbacks since the season finale in Pomona.

A sampling of those who won’t be back on a full-time basis are the likes of Bob Vandergriff (U.P.S.), Doug Herbert (Snap-on Tools), Hot Rod Fuller (CAT), Melanie Troxel (R2B2), J.R. Todd (Lucas Oil), David Grubnic (DHL), Hillary Will (KB Racing), Tommy Johnson Jr. (Monster) and Doug Kalitta (MAC Tools).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well to those racers out there that i have on my page as friends heres a suggestion, maybe you can truly make a difference. for all of you and the fans..

as a fan point of view...

1.)lower ticket prices, 62-66 is to much to pay for a event. were not in the super bowl or world cup or even a world series. i think 50-55 is perfect.

2.) $350. for tec seating? are you kidding me? , for four days or 3 days?. thats way to much. 250.00 maybe perfect.

3.) lower parking cost from 15.00 to back to 8.00 or keep the 15.00 but allow us to bring our own beer in the track.

4) lower cost of food by 20 to 30 %, because $6.00 for a burger you must be crazy. at least 3.50 or 4.00 maybe perfect, oh and beer 10.00 for a 16 oncer?
no no no.. back to 7.50.

5.) lower your prices on souvenirs, die cast cars, t-shirts,

6.)heres a good one for the drivers.. i know you got to work with you sponsors, and go to meeting,(not driver meeting) but other ones, along with speeches you have to make for your teams and sponsors. heres something to really think about. race weekend is for you, your team, and the fans. you got Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and even Thursday when not racing to do these work meeting and speeches you have to do, we as fans need to communicate more and really try to have positive attitude toward you instead of saying " he or she never have time for fans, oh they got a attitude, oh they never got time, oh they're asses or d++ks, or even f++k them they suck"., .. you racers don't need that from any body, so see if theres a way to keep businesses to days your not racing. and pay your whole attention to your racing, your family, your safety, and your fans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for drivers of the NHRA, and to the NHRA

1.)i know you all travel alot, but heres a question, is there any way you as drivers or owners find a way to pay less for hotel staying? im sure you guys and gals can find great deals..

2.)i think nhra should stay at 24 races, i mean they got a new track at n. Carolina,, y cut back,? you all got to see first which track brings in more money, and which has more space for fans?

3.) i know this might sound harsh for pro stock bike, but i feel it can help the sport more. bring pro stock bike to race all 24 events. ive seen how pomona and even phoenix, az is during February. to be honest with you all, it feels lonely with out you all there. pomona to me it really doesn't feel the same like in November. it seems like its not even worth going and spending so much money there in February.

4.) these next 2 are the real tricky ones. i know coca cola comp. is the sponsor for our sport. but if you need to keep our sport going. you or we need to find a way to say " hey let us bring sponsors that are in competition with our main sponsor" like pepsi, lays, Macdonald's, jack in the box, target, walmart, best buy, a bank, home depot , and other big company's.." don't be afraid to go out there and work, and just leave it to your boss, go work it. the sport really needs to just let the doors open and forget all about the competition. but to really keep our sport going.

5.) heres the other one. ask your sponsors once you get one if theres anyway commercials would work.. look at ron capps. thanks to napa. john and ashley force they did one for aaa, talk to espn and your sponsors, you guys need serious exposure and to be highly recognized (stardom). you all need to be out there in the spot light. look at dale jr., tony steward, kasey kahne, ryan newman, gordon, harvick,waltrip and many more. you truly need that celebrity exposure. and need to be that star that you are.

6.) i think the sport has to try and bring back or invite more legends to show up for autograph sessions, or to be a big part of PRO. i feel they can bring big and better ideas to the sport, and contribute alot of input. example big daddy don garletts, larry minor, shirley muldowney, gary beck, billy meyer and many more.. invite them to be a part of PRO.

7.) another one how can the sport find a way to see if some of these nascar owners can help the sport, like for partnership, an alliance, or a way to bring sponsorship help to the sport. like Richard childress , jack roush, joe gibbs (again), rick hendrick, and other who can help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i ask owners, drivers, and fans, please don't feel insulted by my opinions. if i was a driver or owner i feel i would try to make a difference by these opinions i have mention. im a fan and a true loyal friend. i just truly feel some changes need to be done for the best of the sport and for the fans.

lady's and gentlemen, my name is "OSCAR"
Old 01-06-2009
Bobbie K

Good work Oscar. You've spent a lot of time working on this thread. You are a TRUE fan of the sport.

In addition to all you suggest I wonder why they don't do a better job of scheduling. Why the east coast one week and then the west coast the next week?

Maybe when you're dealing with millions of dollars a little extra for fuel for the transporters doesn't make that much difference but think about the lost time.
Old 01-07-2009

Those are good points, but the first 1-5 are all things that make NHRA money but make the teams nothing. They are all dollars that should make it to the teams that show up, whether it be appearance money or real payouts for participating in the event. See, if I am gonna drag my top fuel dragster to joliet and try to qualify at the national event, maybe get lucky and get away with three qualifying passes, I just spent 45,000 in parts and fuel. I go out first round and get 5 grand. Thats why these funded teams just use payouts as bonus money for the crew. Densham and wilkerson would take winnings and buy parts, fuel or lease a trailer.

I have been on the ritz hotel soapbox for a while, especially with teams that have a motor home as a support vehicle. Lets not forget motel 6 is the official motel of the nhra, but if the teams stayed there, where would the fans?

You go to minor events, where they have exhibition cars, they all get paid per pass, which gets negotiated by teams to include the expenses for the pass and travel to get them to the track. I am pretty sure the whole concept would work for many teams. I thought it might be better for coca cola to field some teams as well to fill fields. There are enough unemployed teams that would probably work cheap just to have the opportunity, but I think the whole year of title rights cost them around 8 million, that would barely cover 3 teams that would be considered low dollar teams, but one supply of parts for all teams, one short block guy that assembles all the engines, then a left and right side crew member, blower mag guy, clutch guy should be able to get a car turned around in 90 minutes. The teams that go on get more help from cars that are out.

I wish there were ways to help. I buy Castrol, fram filters ac plugs when I work my cars, but I doubt it helps make a difference.
Old 01-07-2009
Tim5636sc

"OSCAR":

Very good idea's....

To answer your Thread Name "HOW CAN WE AS FANS HELP? And Can my Opinions Work?"

How can you help?

Hit them in the pocket book...The "Bottom Line" is what they see. They know that as a true fan, THEY HAVE YOU! They know your gonna head to the races, (and pay those ticket prices). They know your TV is going to be tuned to ESPN2 to watch the highlite show. They know that your going to pay your $69.00 membership fee for your National Dragster, Audiocast and your "RIGHT" to race at an NHRA sanctioned race. They KNOW that your going to pay your Licensing fee's for your competition license.

Your opinions fall on Deaf Ears in Glendora. It's sad, but very true. Why is this? It's because the current leadership is accountable to NOBODY! The President of the Organization....IS ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS. Isn't the board of a corporation supposed to be the Check to the Balance of Power that the President of a compay has? Is it not a conflict of interst for that President to be on the Board? Are they not supposed to represent the "shareholders"? In this case, because it's not a PUBLIC COMPANY, the only "SHAREHOLDERS" are the "MEMBERSHIP".

CAN YOUR OPINIONS WORK?

Sure they could. Many of these are very realistic. Some, are a bit far feached but for the most part--they are very practical.
Old 01-07-2009

Timmahs right, so all of us that go to the races, lets pass by the nhra souvenir shop, pack a lunch, go straight to the teams and buy your shirts and plastic dragsters from them. I know some tracks take a % of what teams sell at a race, but its the quickest way to get dollars to the teams that deserve our support. Dont get me wrong, I am not gonna throw money in a tip jar at each teams pit because they are doing what all of us would pay to do anyway, but direct your dollars where they deserve to go.
Old 01-07-2009

Maybe since we members don't get a say in much of anything, maybe it's time to start flooding the mail boxes in Glendora with all of our thoughts, ideas and complaints. You know it can't hurt. It's apparent they are not listening much as of now.