CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
Epping is fairly close to I95. So far I've only been to E-town, Firebird, and Maple Grove. Maybe it's time to give this one a try? Does anyone have an opinion of the place?
it was sold out last year all weekend if you dont get there real early your walkin aways or waitin for shuttle....they need more seating like they had a couple years ago...the hill at finish line is the place to be...
Old 01-19-2018

Default It is what it is............

My sources tell me the Napps needed immediate influx of cash to settle 3 lawsuits. They also said the drifting track and activities around it are more profitable than the drag strip. As usual, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$......
Old 01-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Johnson View Post
My sources tell me the Napps needed immediate influx of cash to settle 3 lawsuits. They also said the drifting track and activities around it are more profitable than the drag strip. As usual, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$......
If your source is correct and the Napps need the cash to settle 3 lawsuits; that means they arenít as flush as everybody seems to think all drag strip operators are. It also says that their lawyers (who get a lot of money every year, winning or losing lawsuits against the track) have lost at least 3 lawsuits against the track. How many more lawsuits are in the wings waiting to see if those first 3 won or lost before they jump on the lawsuit gravy train?

Yeah, if the Napps are running a business, it better be all about the money. The Napps have invested their life savings and their lifeís work buying and promoting the track. If the return/rewards for that risk are only the equivalent of having a medium income job, why would anyone take the stupid risk? Track operators deserve every dollar they make as it would be safer and easier for them to invest in many other businesses or stocks without dealing with the public hassle, the weather, the government, the neighbors, etc.

If they made the decision to keep the drag strip going and it rained every promoted event weekend for the next couple years, do you think everyone of us drag racing lovers would just write them a check so they could stay in the business? The only thing that would happen is a couple guys would try to buy the leftovers from the bank for cheap. If that didnít happen quick enough, the track would just be gone like so many others have.

Iíll shut up now before I break the ďno politics ruleĒ.
Old 01-19-2018

Just to remind, normally a settlement is not an admission of guilt, but rather an avoidance of trial.

Who cares?
Old 01-19-2018

If this is true, I wonder what those settlements were about.
Old 01-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post
Just to remind, normally a settlement is not an admission of guilt, but rather an avoidance of trial.
Your right, but the settlement means the Napp's are cutting a check or three for anything from a dollar (yeah, right) to millions to someone who feels (maybe/probably correctly) that they have been injured in some way deserving financial compensation from the Napps.

If the person that posted that the Napps are getting $75 million over 15 years (around $5 million a year) for renting out the track is correct, wouldn't you do the same?

They eliminate their constant gamble with the weather and the gamble of spectator appreciation for whatever they would promote on the drag strip, any grumpy neighbors might back off a bit and they still get to promote the other events.. if they want to.

Wonder if they would ever look at building a new track to replace this one? Nah...
Old 01-19-2018

Hatcher:*“At this point, unfortunately, we can’t go back [to Raceway Park] and say, ‘You didn’t think about this. Why don’t you reverse the decision?’ Unfortunately, we weren’t given that opportunity to have that conversation.

So Raceway Park didn't call NHRA to advise them of their decision. Did the relationship between Raceway Park and NHRA sour recently?

Also, she talks about tracks that have called about hosting the event. Let the speculation begin.
Old 01-19-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPMFAN View Post
Hatcher:*ďAt this point, unfortunately, we canít go back [to Raceway Park] and say, ĎYou didnít think about this. Why donít you reverse the decision?í Unfortunately, we werenít given that opportunity to have that conversation.

So Raceway Park didn't call NHRA to advise them of their decision. Did the relationship between Raceway Park and NHRA sour recently?

Also, she talks about tracks that have called about hosting the event. Let the speculation begin.
Here is the article....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...glishtown-exit

----------------------------
Old 01-19-2018

I don't understand how the NHRA could be in this position. How can someone, out of the blue, cancel a national event with what appears to be no repercussions?
Old 01-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
I don't understand how the NHRA could be in this position. How can someone, out of the blue, cancel a national event with what appears to be no repercussions?
Good point. It's my understanding (from many decades ago) that there are different contracts between NHRA and the various track owners. Each negotiated individually with many standard requirements and areas where they differ depending on the strengths that the track and/or track owner possess. For instance, I would guess the smallest grossing event wouldn't be able to go four lane without Bruton Smith being happy.

For Vinny Napp to be able to drop the event must mean one of the suits at NHRA missed the part in his contract where he could do it. Or it could be that the penalty written in the contract for non-performance is so old and cheap, it's worth it for the Napps.

Her comments show that NHRA was caught very flatfooted.
(PC Police: I do NOT have a prejudice against flatfooted people. )