CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-14-2018

MAybe she just wants an open face car and John wants her safe in a canopy of some other design than DSR. What were our discussions before, if fire get in the canopy, you are there with just oxygen getting pumped in which is an accellerant. Maybe its like a catchers or goalies mask with size of entry. No parts should be getting in there from an explosion right? These are all things we discussed about the aero advantage of having a canopy, straight shot from air from the top of the body entering the hat without the disturbance from around and behind a drivers area. I do not know what the normal thickness is of the lexan for the canopies, but I remember seeing a skid of them for sale when DSR was selling off stock. They were not that thick, which tends to go to the point that the open window would need to be thicker so it does not flex.
Old 01-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
MAybe she just wants an open face car and John wants her safe in a canopy of some other design than DSR. What were our discussions before, if fire get in the canopy, you are there with just oxygen getting pumped in which is an accellerant. Maybe its like a catchers or goalies mask with size of entry. No parts should be getting in there from an explosion right? These are all things we discussed about the aero advantage of having a canopy, straight shot from air from the top of the body entering the hat without the disturbance from around and behind a drivers area. I do not know what the normal thickness is of the lexan for the canopies, but I remember seeing a skid of them for sale when DSR was selling off stock. They were not that thick, which tends to go to the point that the open window would need to be thicker so it does not flex.
Looks way too similar to this one to be a different design than DSR.

Old 01-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightbluS10 View Post
Looks way too similar to this one to be a different design than DSR.

Well, if the window is open it does. I am not trying to be a smartass, all I am saying is to have that open area you have to strengthen the lexan so it does not flex and bend under those G's. Do you know how thick those windows are in the DSR design?
Old 01-17-2018

That car will not race with an open window. That opening isn't even big enough for someone to get in and out of. It would turn the canopy into a huge parachute. It is cut out so they can stick their hands inside while working on it. It will be replaced with a new window.
Old 01-17-2018

They obvioulsy cut it out for access. But I'm wondering why they didn't just unscrew it and remove it. Or more accurately, even screw it on in the first place. My only guess would be that they use it as a template for locating and drilling the screw holes into the carbon fiber.
Old 01-17-2018

What some here are forgetting is that the only approved canopy is the one furnished by DSR. This has been a lot of speculation over a barely semi finished part while building (mocking up) a new car. The partial windshield is there to give rigidity to the cowl (canopy) so every thing will line up and clearance measurements can be made. There is no need for Tin Foil Hats or secret codes - it's just a new car.
Old 01-17-2018

I was going to suggest rigidity too in my post, but forgot.
Old 01-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
I do not know what the normal thickness is of the lexan for the canopies, but I remember seeing a skid of them for sale when DSR was selling off stock. They were not that thick,
Most likely they did not meet spec.. It wouldn't make sense to sell off stuff they know they could use in the future. They might even had been leftovers from their prototyping stage.
Old 01-17-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
There is no need for Tin Foil Hats or secret codes - it's just a new car.
(I got water up my nose when I read this!^^^)

Awwww, come on Roger I want to see some tin foil hat mock ups!
Old 01-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
(I got water up my nose when I read this!^^^)

Awwww, come on Roger I want to see some tin foil hat mock ups!
Sema approved tin foil hats? Expiration dates?