CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 10-01-2018

Default Formula 1 Dragster Reborn!

Evel Knievel’s Formula 1 Dragster Rides Again!
By: Ed Tahaney September 28, 2018

Tune in Monday, October 1 at 10pm ET/PT on Discovery. The legendary daredevil’s Formula 1 Dragster is the ultimate plaything for the Welder Up crew on the season premiere of “Vegas Rat Rods".

Video:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/e...r-rides-again/

Quote:
Like a lot of Gen Xers, Steve Darnell grew up playing with Evel Knievel toys as a kid. As an adult, he still plays with them except now these toys are the real deal.

“It was a lot of work to just get it up and running,” Darnell admits. “One night while we were rebuilding it, we had a problem with the starter and I said if this car fires up I’m gonna wheelie the sh!t out of this.”

Getting the motor to fire up again in Knievel’s red, white, and blue dragster was no small feat—its original motor is rumored to have ended up in one lucky roller’s boat. “I found out about the car a while ago and then I kind of threw it out there that I wanted to see the car,” said Darnell. “So Kelly [Knievel] got wind of that and he said ‘hey, why don’t you come over and look at the car and maybe do something with it. It was baking out in the sun for a long time and we all know what Mother Nature can do to a neglected ride. The last time I heard it actually drove was sometime in the mid-seventies, maybe the eighties. I heard a couple of different stories since I’ve had it,” said Darnell.

But every once in a while you find something that is just so cool with so much history you have to go out and mess around with it—especially something as unique as this.

“It sat in the desert for I don’t know how long without a cover on it, but then again its scratches really tell a story. It was an iconic toy… guys in their late 40s and 50s remember those toys, I thought it was really cool to get it up and running again and to sit in the seat that Evel Kneviel sat in and to actually do a wheelie in this thing down Las Vegas Boulevard… it was crazy man, it was overwhelming and it felt good. You know, a little emotional too at the same time,” he said.

We are totally jealous. Tune into the show to see how the crew helped him resurrect the ultimate daredevils’ machine so that it could roar down the Las Vegas Strip for the fourth season’s big opener.
Old 10-01-2018

man you sure can find 'em slug!!!