CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Drag Racing Tech

Old 12-04-2012

Default Crank Triggers and Accessory Drives

I am looking to run a crank trigger on the front of a balancer, but would also like to retain some belt driven accessories. Any suggestions about how to re-align everything short of shimming it all away from the front of the block? Im fairly surprised that none of the parts makers have a shorter pully that would accomodate, as common as crank triggers are. Suggestions?
Old 12-11-2012

Ever think about triggering off the Flywheel or Flexplate?
Old 12-11-2012

Check around. there are many companies that make a complete set-up ready to just bolt on.
Old 12-12-2012

Gents thanks for your replies. Roger, are you talking about mounting a wheel somewhere near the flywheel, or acutally using the starter ring as the trigger wheel? I guess I should elaborate more. What I am trying to do is a exercize in frugality. I am attempting to get a 24X trigger wheel from a Gen III LS Chev on a Gen I 350 to run the coil near plug ignition, and if successful, perhaps EFI controlled by the Gen III computer. There are companies out there that offer the conversion, but at about 4 times what my budget allows. I purchased the 24X ring from GM for about $18, and am currently working out how to get it affixed to the crank (initially thinking the front of the balancer, since an MSD Crank Trigger mount will get me half way there).
mol srt8, I figured what the heck, lots of people run the flying magnets with drive accessories, but have yet to talk to any pulley makers that have anything specific for the flying magnet or any other crank trigger wheel. I guess I need to dig deeper, but have drawn a lot of blanks so far. I did find a GM crank pully that was shallower than my current pulley, but it was also about 45% larger in diameter! Not quite what I had hoped for my water pump and alternator in terms of RPM! Hope that sheds a little more light on my plans. Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2012

Wouldn't putting a magnet on the pulley upset the balance of the crank?
Old 12-13-2012

Hemi,

What is mounting to the crank is just the thin trigger wheel from a LS engine. The magnetic pick up or sensor will be mounted to an MSD mount bracket.

Alky
Old 12-13-2012

sorry, I thought I read something about a flying magnet.
Old 12-13-2012

Hemi,

No prob...I tend to ramble and it gets confusing! Just looking for some pulley options that would permit a trigger wheel to be sandwiched between my balancer and crank pulley for driving my water pump and alt. I have seen spacers that would help compensate the pump and fan, but dont really want to go that route if the drive pully can be replaced by itself and everything else stays the same.

Alky