CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Default Dutton On Rubbin And Wreckin

Good read on the sad attitude of some in racing. I've thought a lot about the attitude of some racers this year. Hagan's repeated comments that nobody is "out here to make friends" has really bothered me for some reason more this year than any other. I've met so many good people through racing so its hard understand why some think the "kill" attitude is worthwhile.

http://competitionplus.com/cp-motors...in-and-wreckin

Any thoughts?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
Good read on the sad attitude of some in racing. I've thought a lot about the attitude of some racers this year. Hagan's repeated comments that nobody is "out here to make friends" has really bothered me for some reason more this year than any other. I've met so many good people through racing so its hard understand why some think the "kill" attitude is worthwhile.
Any thoughts?
I'll comment from the perspective of very close observer....

I believe it's the nature of a completive environment. Most of the people I work with and observe are good friends at away from the track. Even when they pair up on the starting line most of them exhibit good sportsmanship.

Others just don't care for each other, to the point they don't even acknowledge one another. And if one feels the other has wronged them, holy crap...seen more than one get knocked on their keister! At least it rarely gets bad on track as happens in pack racing.

It's the same in regular jobs...on the shop floor, the office. There are some you get along with, are happy to work with. Even in a competitive way. Others, not so much. But in the end you do work with them, not undermining them, because we're supposed to be working toward common goals.

And yes...I too have met many great people through racing. Folks I'm proud to call "friend".

----------------------------
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Way to much at stake . A win means everything in this playoff structure . I'd spin my Mom out to get a chance at the final four . (Ok maybe not my Mom , but definitely my Mother in-law.) Chase Elliott needed to be faster to get some separation , Hamlin was a faster car . It's not like it's the others drivers jobs to give an inch , to create a feel good story for Chase Elliott and Bill Elliott fans . Kids had a silver spoon to the top , at this level now he's got to earn it . I like him , I hope he wins as many races as Danica .
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I'll comment from the perspective of very close observer....

I believe it's the nature of a completive environment. Most of the people I work with and observe are good friends at away from the track. Even when they pair up on the starting line most of them exhibit good sportsmanship.

Others just don't care for each other, to the point they don't even acknowledge one another. And if one feels the other has wronged them, holy crap...seen more than one get knocked on their keister! At least it rarely gets bad on track as happens in pack racing.

It's the same in regular jobs...on the shop floor, the office. There are some you get along with, are happy to work with. Even in a competitive way. Others, not so much. But in the end you do work with them, not undermining them, because we're supposed to be working toward common goals.

And yes...I too have met many great people through racing. Folks I'm proud to call "friend".
Good post, thanks W!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop36@aol.com View Post
Way to much at stake . A win means everything in this playoff structure . I'd spin my Mom out to get a chance at the final four . (Ok maybe not my Mom , but definitely my Mother in-law.) Chase Elliott needed to be faster to get some separation , Hamlin was a faster car . It's not like it's the others drivers jobs to give an inch , to create a feel good story for Chase Elliott and Bill Elliott fans . Kids had a silver spoon to the top , at this level now he's got to earn it . I like him , I hope he wins as many races as Danica .
I think if you have to purposefully wreck someone then you and your team did not do their job as a race team. This is the equivalent of clubbing the pitcher with your bat because you keep missing his fast ball.