CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 12-23-2015

Default Security at races - wondering about 2016

It's an unfortunate fact of our times - security at these large venues. Stadiums are a challenge but our sport operates on hundreds of acres with multiple, very insecure boundaries. Most of our tracks are in / very near large metropolitan areas. Here in SF Bay Area there is noticeable security presence at 49'ers and Sharks games.

NHRA and track operators have got to be thinking about this.

I urge all racers to watch your assets carefully.

And on this cheery post....Merry Christmas to all. Be safe.
Old 12-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfRacer View Post
It's an unfortunate fact of our times - security at these large venues. Stadiums are a challenge but our sport operates on hundreds of acres with multiple, very insecure boundaries. Most of our tracks are in / very near large metropolitan areas. Here in SF Bay Area there is noticeable security presence at 49'ers and Sharks games.

NHRA and track operators have got to be thinking about this.

I urge all racers to watch your assets carefully.

And on this cheery post....Merry Christmas to all. Be safe.
Unfortunately, I have been with you on this thinking for sometime now.
Old 12-24-2015

I was thinking of that also (security) being that all the gate keepers do is check your cooler to see if you are bringing in beer instead of paying 5 or 6 dollars for one in the track. Other than that, all they do is just check your ticket or hand stamp when you return inside while having a beer at your car, truck in between rounds. Kinda scary if you think about all of the shooting that have been happening. I imagine they have a lot more plain clothed security than we might notice.

I remember years ago the in-laws and I went to Disney World for a x-mas vacation, My brother in law was a smoker so, He went over to the side, not near the rides, but to grab a quick couple of drags on a cig. and before you knew it, A normal looking plain clothes person came right up to him and told him that smoking was prohibited in this location. He was security.

My point of the story is, I think that there are more people looking than you would realize.
Old 12-24-2015

Sadly they may be looking, but can never get there quick enough. You would have to know someones intentions before they can act. Personally I will profile people for myself the best I can until we can solve this. Although I do not believe with our current crop of citizens and government we could clean house effectively.
Old 12-24-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapnredfish View Post
Sadly they may be looking, but can never get there quick enough. You would have to know someones intentions before they can act. Personally I will profile people for myself the best I can until we can solve this. Although I do not believe with our current crop of citizens and government we could clean house effectively.
Well, I don't think that they would really like if you brought a gun into the track to protect those in a dangerous situation.

I know that at the Summer Nats. in Englishtown, They have New Jersey State Troopers on site because, In New Jersey, If a serious crash happens they impound the car or motorcycle until they complete an investigation before the crew can even touch it.
Old 12-24-2015

Unfortunately the race here in Phoenix is on the Gila River tribal land and firearms are prohibited on most tribal land in the state and even if you are pulled over in a traffic stop and have a firearm you can land in serious trouble with tribal police. Even someone with a permit would not even come close to getting in the track.
Old 12-24-2015

Why would 2016 be anymore of a concern than 2015 was, or any other year for that matter?

I do remember for a few years following 911 the Ohio State Troppers having a really big motorhome outfitted with all sorts of mysterious looking anttennae and such on it at National Trail for the Springs. Can't say I've seen it at Norwalk.
Old 12-24-2015

HEMI_guy is right - all that stuff in Paris and San Bernadeno is all made up.
Old 12-24-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgty3whlr View Post
I know that at the Summer Nats. in Englishtown, They have New Jersey State Troopers on site because, In New Jersey, If a serious crash happens they impound the car or motorcycle until they complete an investigation before the crew can even touch it.
This is standard procedure at any NHRA national event when a fatality is involved.
Old 12-24-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomotor View Post
HEMI_guy is right - all that stuff in Paris and San Bernadeno is all made up.
Oh good grief. Yeah I think those were just conspriacies. Wait, better yet, they were done just to increase security at NHRA events.

I'd be OK with walking through a metal detector or being wanded. But much more than that is giving terrorists what they want.

But going back to metal detectors and or searches..... are you going to have each SUV load of pro crew members searched every morning they roll through the gates... along with the SUV too? Or could nine of them act as terrorists.. lone wolf or team? Are you going to search every vendor and crate of theyr foods or goods? Are you going to search every sportsman's rig as they roll in?