Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 07-31-2013
Administrator

Default Concern over Pro Stock costs

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...on-a-hot-topic

Larry Morgan's candor is appreciated.

----------------------------
Old 07-31-2013

Its true, the guys that have money dont count on the winnings to continue thru the year.

Its something I always wondered, if it costs 100k a week to run the car, and a sponsor puts that money up, wouldnt it help if the sponsor got the 40k that they won so they ultimately put up 60k for a weekend of billboard?
Old 07-31-2013

The downward trend is not good. maybe cutting back on events might just be good too. too many races
Old 07-31-2013

I think Light's use of the word "concerning" is concerning. The things he mentions are not concerns anymore, they are problems.

Who cares?
Old 07-31-2013
Super Moderator

All they have to do is take a cue from F1. Limit the number of engines, rearends etc changes they can make in one season. Use more then allotted and take a points hit. On top of limiting testing days and maybe taking one or two races off the season total and that would go a long way to cost cutting.
Old 07-31-2013

A racer is quoted as saying they HAD to spend 10 grand on that new clutch program! No you didn't, but you had the money so you spent it. This is a non-story. A few races go by with 15 racers and suddenly Pro Stock has a problem that Nitro doesn't also have? Not buyin' it. Increase the incentive for a bottom qualifier to show up and you'll get a full field. Problem solved. Changing the rules would save Nitro Classes money, not so much Pro Stock.
Old 07-31-2013

Both Pro Stock classes need to be reworked. I truly believe that PS car needs to go to small blocks. To be more specific, they need to use the blocks that come in the cars on the show room floor. Go back to the old days, keep parity with weight. Maybe allow V6s with certain power adders to maybe bring in foreign manufacturers. I bet Toyota would dive into PS if they could actually get marketing return from it (which is impossible with the current engine configurations). Who knows, Ford may take advantage of this to promote their EcoBoost engines. Costs would come down just on the shear fact that finding 1 horsepower wouldn't cost hundreds of man hours. The only solution is change, but I don't think minor changes will achieve long-term results. The changes need to be major, and they need to come soon.
Old 07-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddyjanis View Post
The downward trend is not good. maybe cutting back on events might just be good too. too many races
i was thinking the same thing, I remember a few years ago, the pro stock motorcycles wanted there season to be x amount of races because of the expenses of trying to run every event..maybe pro stock cars needs to look at that...that would be a simple easier thing RIGHT now........
Old 08-01-2013

Someone in the know explain to me where all these costs go to? You rarely see PS hurt Motors like the Fuel cars, is it Engine Dyno time??
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnitro View Post
Someone in the know explain to me where all these costs go to? You rarely see PS hurt Motors like the Fuel cars, is it Engine Dyno time??
Million dollar transporters.....10 or more crewmembers.....$4/gallon diesel fuel.....engines are 30-something thousand to lease for one weekend.....500 hours back at the shop to gain two horsepower.....insurance for everything.....it's absolutely a 2-3M/year operation, if you want to play at the top.

Switching to small blocks won't do a thing, other than make the cars slower. Costs just as much to make a 358 produce 1000HP as it does to make a 500 produce 1400. Personally, I think if NHRA doesn't see fit to at least double the purse to first and second round losers, they might as well just scrap the class. Modifying the cars into something affordable will result in something fans won't support. We've already got stock-block stuff and other than S/S fanatics, nobody else cares. Who's going to watch an 7 or 8-second doorslammer at a national event besides a few hardcores? Who, sitting at home, will pay any attention to a slower, less expensive Pro Stock car?

Nobody.

Tags
pro stock