CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 11-24-2015
Administrator

Default Pro Stock: EFI or Factory Stock?

Take the poll....

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...-for-pro-stock

----------------------------
Old 11-24-2015

Gotta have the deep throaty sound of 500". I want 6 second range ET's @200+mph.
Old 11-24-2015

When I think of the best years of Pro Stock, I still think of the 70’s. AMC, Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Dodge, Plymouth were all strong players with as much variety if not more than today’s Pro Mod. Small blocks, big blocks with numerous ways to get to the winner’s trophy. Even four door Mavericks made sense at one point. AMC with Wally Booth was a player.

Bodies in the 70’s were cool too. The Rod Shop’s Colt, Glidden’s Pinto, Grumpy’s Vega, Booth’s Hornet, Ronnie Sox Barracuda, Dyno Don’s Maverick, Butch Leal’s Duster, Lee Shepard Camaro, Warren Johnson’s Olds and so many more.

Yeah, they only ran in the 9’s and then the 8’s but what a show. Track operator’s had no problem running a Pro Stock only show. They could have four Pro Stock cars show up on a Wednesday night and even make some money. There's only one or two event's in the nation today where a promoter is bold enough to book a Pro Stock only show. In the 70's the national event fan’s didn’t leave the stands when Pro Stock came to the line. It was a time when announcer’s shouting who wants the Ford to beat the Chevy got a roaring answer. Pro Stock was happening.

Then NHRA got lazy and didn’t want to supervise the class enough to keep it a fair playing field. Small blocks were dumped and even big blocks eventually got dumped too. Lately there are just three “approved” 500 cube motors that are so close in manufacture the typical ASE Master Tech doesn’t know if it’s Ford, Chrysler or GM. Bodies are just lumps so close in appearance, you have to read the sticker’s to know what it’s supposed to be.

Yeah, today’s Pro Stock’s make a neat sound and they are high tech. I enjoy the sound they make going down the track hitting the gears. But, in the last 15 years when they come to the line only real hard headed gearheads like me and you guys stay in the stands.

But I also enjoy the sound of today’s Pro Mods. They are high tech, have the varied bodies of old, still have doors and are tube chasis just like this year’s Pro Stocks. NHRA and the others are doing a great job of keeping parity between Nitrous, blown and turbo cars so Pro Mod is very interesting and I wouldn’t have missed today’s Pro Stock much if they had been replaced by Pro Mod.

When I started writing this, I didn't realize it was such a hot button with me, but… to answer the question of "EFI at 500 Cubic Inch or some sort of Factory Showdown look". Give me the Factory Showdown look with NHRA working hard for parity like in the early 70’s and how they are keeping parity with today’s Pro Mods. Just don’t kill off Pro Mod to do it.
Old 11-24-2015

So you want to bring back all the complicated, ever changing and always political/contriverisal handicaps.
Old 11-24-2015

It does bring a crowd of enthusiastic fans. It's working for Pro Mod.

There are now Pro Mod races all over the country. They have become the class of choice to lead the growing small tire major races. These promoters sure aren't asking Pro Stock racers to show up.
Old 11-24-2015

P/M's That's not even a close comparison.
Old 11-25-2015

Factory hot rods, the real ones...... not the current PS cars. Everything is cookie cutter boring, how the cars leave and track. It would certainly be more affordable and way more exciting to watch. Fans will be able to relate more as the CJ's and such are "more" like what they drive. It would be just a matter of time till NHRA did some factoring to make the copo and challengers more competitive with the "little" Fords.
Old 11-25-2015

Then why isn't Stock, SuperStock and the Factory Stock shoot-out more popular?

Someone please explain to me how a P/S version of these cars would be so different than what the are now.

BTW.... if you really want to piss off all the P/S teams, just tell them this 500" EFI thing was just a one year deal and they need to switch to stock blocks and heads.
Old 11-25-2015

I think the question Willy is alluding to with his “EFI or Factory Stock” post really is:
Do you think the new NHRA Pro Stock rules set the stage for the long term success of Pro Stock?

NHRA has already made their decision and the major rule changes of killing carbs, scoops and wheelie bar length is NHRA’s admission that there was a serious problem.

For someone as aware of all things drag racing as Willy and Comp+ are to start this post tells me they might be questioning NHRA's decision. Is NHRA just doing their best to appease the big buck Pro Stock team owners and they don’t believe this is the long term Pro Stock class to go along with T/F and F/C.

I agree with you Hemi, NHRA has backed themselves into a corner with the Pro Stock teams. NHRA can’t back up now. They bet the Pro Stock farm on their new rules package and it better produce a big crop of Pro Stockers with eager buyers of the Pro Stock product or they’ve laid a very big egg.
Old 11-25-2015

Well - Carbs or EFI - no hood scoops - shorter wheelie bars - lower RPM's - Pro Stock is still going to be VERY VERY expensive! I could see the class dwindle even further much less "produce a big crop of Pro Stockers". I see no light at the end of the $$$$ tunnel for a successful sportsman racer to suddenly want to get on board.

Tags
efi, factory stock, pro stock