CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-22-2011

I'd like to see and EFI and traction control version of ProStock Australian style...small blocks with no power adders. I miss those high-winders of yesteryear.
Old 02-22-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to Mach9

You could make all of those changes. But what you would have left wouldn't be Pro Stock. I'd love to see a class with some of the features you describe. But make it a new class. Don't screw with P/S. The people that pour millions of dollars and virtually their whole lives time wise into the class don't seem to be screaming for all of these changes. So why should we have the right to make them change their class? Drag racing is still SUPPOSEDLY a participant sport first and foremost. Why don't we let the participants decide what changes to make?
6.435 @ 104
Old 02-22-2011

The "Pro Stock" name is of course misleading. Something like Pro Factory Sedans would be closer. What has happened here is kind of the same thing that has happened to everything else in our world. Should we maybe have one builder mfg. all the cars & you could put in the xxx cubic inch engine of your choice and get the vinyl wrap with the branding decals that makes it a Ford or GM or Mopar. Why not - that way there would be PARODY. Even make it easier and have no winners or losers. Everybody gets a trophy. This is absurd of course! Why even strive for parity? When ingenuity and hard work used to be what made a winner it appears now that the ability to out bid and hire away an exclusive small brain trust is the secret to winning.
As far as Induction & Spark go carburetors & distributors are a farce. With enough factory and fan pressure the system will probably fold and say OK we will have fuel injection. The problem is Fuel Injection is a very vague pair of words. There have been at least 5 variations of FI starting with the Bendix system of the late 1950's - early 1960's to direct sequential injection which is what is accepted as fuel injection for todays world. Just putting a TBI/CFI apparatus on an existing manifold and having a wet manifold system is NOT a step forward. If there is going to be a change at least let the competitors get into the current century with direct combustion chamber injection. If some one thinks it is no better than a wet throttle body set up with their existing manifolding let 'em have at it. Shoot - let them keep their carburetors if they don't want to be competitive. Distributors are also a thing of the past. I will not believe that the company that makes 99% + of the ignition systems in use now is unable to have a distributor less ignition on the market in less than 30 days with a tamper proof controller for that Ignition / FI to meet any set of rules NHRA wants. The excuses of cost and control have been beat to death & that dog won't hunt. As far as traction control goes isn't that the object of winning a race. Traction control is in reality a by product of optimum fuel & spark tuning. Why is it a taboo to let some one with an understanding of Ohms Law jump in & tune up a modern race car.
The next thing that will come up is this "Green" thing. NASCAR is touting E15. WOW - 15% ethanol in the fuel. The station 1 1/2 blocks down has about that much ethanol in the gas now & they don't even advertise it. The only way to make this stuff "Green" is with a little dye, but it sure makes good PR (in their mind at least). When NHRA and the fuel suppliers jump on that band wagon & up the percentage existing carburetors with zinc in them are on a short schedule.
Does Pro Stock need any change to make the racing any closer; Probably not! Would it have a broader fan base with newer than 30/40 year old technology - most likely for those people 40 and under. Remember (for some of us it is hard) when we were under 30 we didn't want what the old geezers wanted & I'm pretty sure that that still holds true today. If NHRA is building a future fan base they better find out what the fans that will be here in the future want. Also what has happened is that the cars have become less important with this strive for parity and the only way to make the car important in my mind is to let them be competitive as a brand by not making them all clones. Lets let the factory be involved with some engineering and ingenuity for their brand.

Last edited by Roger Gates; 02-23-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
Oh yea, I'm convinced NHRA does not want to bring in fuel injection for two reasons. Two, it could possibly drive out a lot of the current stars, crew chiefs and tuners. Basically they don't want to piss off the people that are currently putting on the show.
They might B and C a little bit, but honestly, where are they going to go? Dubai? Qatar? The IHRA? Is there a current comp index for a pro stock?
Old 02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
Don't understand it and don't know how to police it.
That part I don't understand. What's there to police? Make sure the damm thing isn't wired to a driveshaft sensor or anything else that could enable the brain to double as a traction control device and let 'er eat.

And it can't be THAT difficult to figure out. Several racers run EFI in ADRL Pro Nitrous events and Pat Musi (there may be others) has it on his NHRA Pro Mod car. So yeah, bring the induction systems into the 21st century - just don't expect EFI to transform the folks, NHRA or NASCAR either. They could pretty much care less.

I'd need some time to think about Toyotas, turbos, blowers and 358's.
Old 02-22-2011

The class will be dead in 10 years with the current rules. Let it just run its course........
Old 02-22-2011

Since Bobby Bennett is suggesting that Matuzeks car is Cheaper than a Pro Stock, I'm curious how much that car is worth? My guess is they have $150,000 in that car!
Old 02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnitro View Post
Since Bobby Bennett is suggesting that Matuzeks car is Cheaper than a Pro Stock, I'm curious how much that car is worth? My guess is they have $150,000 in that car!
My guess is that your guess is low.
Old 02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnitro View Post
Which won't buy a competitive Pro Stock engine. Try $400,000 for the complete car.
Old 02-23-2011

Since there are only two factory-produced antique engines still produced on the planet, if we're going to get into the 21st century with EFI, lets go the whole way with the cams above the valves like God intended.

Tags
efi, ihra, nhra, pro stock, r.i.p.