CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
That's because half the people in attendance aren't even sure exactly what a Pro Mod is - they only know it's not as loud, fast and generally exciting to the average fan as a nitro funny car or dragster. Fuel qualifying takes an hour on average (exception: Las Vegas, where it takes half a day), and by then, folks are ready to get something to eat, drink or use the restroom. If the action calms down (relatively) at that time, the exodus begins.

Pro Mod racers don't much care if there's 10,000 or 30,000 people watching, and why should NHRA care. The take from the gate is the same whether you're watching a race or taking a leak. If you want PS, PM and Sportsman qualifiers to pack the stands, you'll have to give them their own day. PS, PSM, PM and Sportsman (all but TAD and TAFC) qualify Friday. Fuel and Top Alcohol classes on Saturday. 3 rounds for everybody each day. Sunday as usual.

After thinking about it, I'm not a big fan of wild combinations in Pro Stock. EFI, fine. Traction control, possibly. Foreign makes? Why not, as long as they conform to the current rules? WE have foreignERS, why not foreign cars? As for brand identification, hard to tell 'em apart anyway....every one of the bodies is completely covered with hundreds of decals. I understand contingency but man, it would be nice if they could leave all that business card sized crap off of there. You could send a Mercedes AMG down the track in place of a GXP and you'd be hard pressed to tell what it is.
The first paragragh you say you're against it (power adders). Then by the third it seems you're advocating for it (power adders).

Last edited by HEMI_guy; 02-24-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2011

TwoStep...i have to correct you...lmao...it didnt take half a day in vegas..it took till 9 pm at nite...i hope this wont happen again...heck i left at 6 and i think shakedown dave left at 8 or 9 and they were still running...lol...
Old 02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJamesBoos View Post
No pro-stock WAS to showcase what the manufacturers and car were capable of. I'm pretty sure Ford/GM/Dodge/ETC are capable of more than what was available on a car in 1955. I'm guessing though.

I'm still confused by these overhead valves, disc brakes, and seat belts. Call me old fashion but I think they should just run flat heads, Edelbrock intakes, with duel Webbers.
OH NOOO! Stromberg 97's & NO electric fuel pump: This techno invasion is getting out of hand!
Old 02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
I would argue that the real gear heads are over there in Outlaw 10.5 or Drag Radial. The class is dominated by turbos and fuel injection and has been for years. If anything, they are the real hot rodders. I love pro stock, IMO it's the purist form of drag racing but the more I look under the hood and see what they have become (or not become) it makes me lose a little interest every year. I find myself gravitating to the Outlaw cars because I like the advancing technology. Pro stock has become so stagnant, even gone backwards really, racing brands and names that are no longer found on the road. You never stay the same in life, you are either going forwards or backwards and pro stock has been going backwards for some time now.
Okay you like the 10.5 class or drag radial thats your opinion BUT I disagree & think they look SILLY with that 10.5 tire on the rear ....IMO ProStock cars look FARRRR better & the racing is by FAARRRR the best & closest.....NOBODY can argue that NHRA ProStock is not the closest racing in ALL DragRacing!!!!!...my point simply is as another put it you already have ProMod or over in ADRL 10.5 class ....SO why even F with NHRA ProStock......like I said yesterday shouldn't people be asking a better question like ...." Lets do something about the .90 classes in NHRA with those boring timedthrottlestops" . Now if you want to replace the .90 classes in NHRA with an ALL heads up 1/4mile 10.5 class then I'm all for it it would just make NHRA a better program all together BUT DONT mess up NHRA ProStock because it simply is the BEST class in NHRA & many agree.
If a question is posed by Bobby Bennet tomorrow about " its time that NHRA kills the .90 class format " everyone would post because he asked the question.....BUT trying to revamp NHRA ProStock would be the worst move that NHRA has made in its history cause as it is now NOT ONLY can anyone of the 16 qualified cars win BUT I bet that if they had 18 or 20 car qualified fields anyone of the 18 or 20 could win.......The racing is that close & its all heads up & ALL out FAST racing at over 200mph on the 1/4mile......This would be trashed if NHRA changed ProStock.NHRA ProStock AINT broke so dont touch it!!!!!
Old 02-24-2011

Super Comp and Super Gas are way closer racing. I'll look for everyone in the stands the next race.
Old 02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
The first article you say you're against it (power adders). Then by the third it seems you're advocating for it (power adders).
I'm sure you're right, although I'm not exactly sure what 'three articles' you're referring to, Hemi. I see my three paragraphs in your quote, and in the last one I indicated that I'd prefer not to see wild combinations (read: power adders) in Pro Stock. I felt that way last night. A while ago I watched one of those little Mazda rotary cars run 6.50s in a YouTube video and it was pretty cool. So tonight I might promote allowing turbo rotary engines in Pro Stock.

Worse than an old woman, no?
Old 02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I'm sure you're right, although I'm not exactly sure what 'three articles' you're referring to, Hemi. I see my three paragraphs in your quote, and in the last one I indicated that I'd prefer not to see wild combinations (read: power adders) in Pro Stock. I felt that way last night. A while ago I watched one of those little Mazda rotary cars run 6.50s in a YouTube video and it was pretty cool. So tonight I might promote allowing turbo rotary engines in Pro Stock.

Worse than an old woman, no?

article= paragraph. oops. sue me.
Old 02-24-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to Mach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad rhodes View Post
In my opinion allowing EFI and power adders would be a "dumbing down" of the class. Pro stock is about engine builders, tuners and drivers. The guys who are competitive are some of the most talented people in motorsports. You will not find a better engine builder than a pro stock engine builder, you will not find a better chassis guy than a pro stock chassis guy, and you won't find a better driver than a pro stock driver (with the exception of a few sportsman drivers). If you allow EFI only, it MAY stay that way. But if you start allowing power adders you will lose a lot of that talent, because it simply won't be needed. The power adders make HP easy to come by, and give one combo a large enough advantage and the killer driver and chassis tuner become less important.

Many have tried and failed at Pro Stock, even with sound financial backing. There is a reason for this, its **** hard to be competitive. Way harder than the fuel classes where a few wheelbarrows full of money will get you in the field, with an occasional round win. There are teams in PS whose season goal may simply be to make the field and win a round. If you can find a more difficult class to win in, let me know.

I understand the want for a class of cars more like what we have coming off the showroom floor, and i have some ideas of how to do it myself. It wouldn't be as fast as PS, and that's where you would lose the fans. I think that take showroom available cars (challenger, camaro, mustang) make them go 25.5 and 10.5 tires with same type spoilers we have now. Engine must be a derivative of the showroom available motor, stick shift only. Both ford and GM have supercharged V8s I'm sure Chrysler isn't far behind. Give them all a spec blower (it could be a centrifugal, to keep the hood lines lower. No fwd facing "out the grill" blowers). I think the factories would really get behind it, have 2 CID/wt breaks, one for pushrods, one for OHC. Sure it would need occasional tweaking but it would be a good starting point. Call it Extreme Stock
No more calls. We have a winner.
6.435 @ 104
Old 02-24-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad rhodes View Post
In my opinion allowing EFI and power adders would be a "dumbing down" of the class. Pro stock is about engine builders, tuners and drivers. The guys who are competitive are some of the most talented people in motorsports. You will not find a better engine builder than a pro stock engine builder, you will not find a better chassis guy than a pro stock chassis guy, and you won't find a better driver than a pro stock driver (with the exception of a few sportsman drivers). If you allow EFI only, it MAY stay that way. But if you start allowing power adders you will lose a lot of that talent, because it simply won't be needed. The power adders make HP easy to come by, and give one combo a large enough advantage and the killer driver and chassis tuner become less important.

Many have tried and failed at Pro Stock, even with sound financial backing. There is a reason for this, its **** hard to be competitive. Way harder than the fuel classes where a few wheelbarrows full of money will get you in the field, with an occasional round win. There are teams in PS whose season goal may simply be to make the field and win a round. If you can find a more difficult class to win in, let me know.

I understand the want for a class of cars more like what we have coming off the showroom floor, and i have some ideas of how to do it myself. It wouldn't be as fast as PS, and that's where you would lose the fans. I think that take showroom available cars (challenger, camaro, mustang) make them go 25.5 and 10.5 tires with same type spoilers we have now. Engine must be a derivative of the showroom available motor, stick shift only. Both ford and GM have supercharged V8s I'm sure Chrysler isn't far behind. Give them all a spec blower (it could be a centrifugal, to keep the hood lines lower. No fwd facing "out the grill" blowers). I think the factories would really get behind it, have 2 CID/wt breaks, one for pushrods, one for OHC. Sure it would need occasional tweaking but it would be a good starting point. Call it Extreme Stock
Good points Chad.
Old 02-25-2011

So when does the sucking up to the pro drivers end?

How exactly does smarter technology make pro stock dumber?

Tags
efi, ihra, nhra, pro stock, r.i.p.