CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70aarcuda View Post
I bet the grandstands will be full of spectators....where as the April race usually has very poor attendance....

Since I get a free ticket I will in attemdamce
Yea I bet they will fill the stands just like Barnum and Bailey fills the circus . To each of its own I will enjoy Etown and Maple Grove just like they are 2 lane racing like it should be.
Old 01-08-2018

I agree with Eugene, if Bruton wants to add two lanes to one of his tracks and give fans on the west coast a chance to experience it then let him do it. I for one am curious and may make the drive to Vegas to check out four fuel cars at once. Personally I think four wide would be better suited for an exhibition race than a points race but I will give it a try. And Im sure there will be more fans in the stands than normal for a Spring vegas race which has been dismal for years
Old 01-08-2018

I've been to many, many national events over the years but never a 4-wide. Personally I'm not willing to make a special trip (I live near Albany, NY).

But I have watched the 4-wides on TV since they started in Charlotte and, after giving it what I think is a fair chance, I hate it.

First off, its been how many years and staging is STILL a clusterf&&k!! Nothing makes a bunch of professional drivers look like they don't have clue one like staging for the 4-wides. And once they do (finally) launch, the action is typically too spread out to watch well. I just don't like it.

I'm OK with a couple of special events but if this became the norm, I would stop watching.
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Weinstein View Post
I agree with Eugene, if Bruton wants to add two lanes to one of his tracks and give fans on the west coast a chance to experience it then let him do it. I for one am curious and may make the drive to Vegas to check out four fuel cars at once. Personally I think four wide would be better suited for an exhibition race than a points race but I will give it a try. And Im sure there will be more fans in the stands than normal for a Spring vegas race which has been dismal for years
Yup. It's his gamble to make. It will increase attendance for at least this year, and hopefully not draw from the fall race. But I doubt it will as it's a countdown race. The gamble he's taking is if enough fans keep coming out to the spring event to cover his considerable cost of the investment. Only time will tell.
Old 01-08-2018

Like I've posed on here before, don't criticize Four Wide racing until you've actually been there. IMO, Bruton Smith is all about the experience, and you will get that experience with 4 fuel cars leaving the line at the same time. Just like going to an NFL game, not everyone in the stands is an expert, so you need to find a way to give the casual fans more bang for their buck, and hopefully get them to come back.
If I was taking a newbie to a drag race for the first time, Charlotte would be the place to go, that place makes Maple Grove look like summer camp.
Old 01-08-2018

Default Unaddressed options for 4 wide tracks

While running 4 Nitro burning cars at a time down the track seems to be what they are built for there are other options available. It could also address not having to have 3 day events. Since the stands appear to only have a small number of people during the time when a lot of the lower classes run why not run separate classes at the same time using all 4 lanes. You could sit on whatever side you want to see your choice run and the show would be sped up by probably 30/40 %. The way it is now except for T/F & F/C the other side is basically only taking up space. It may or may not work, but trying it at a divisional or points race would give a good indication of the feasibility.
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
While running 4 Nitro burning cars at a time down the track seems to be what they are built for there are other options available. It could also address not having to have 3 day events. Since the stands appear to only have a small number of people during the time when a lot of the lower classes run why not run separate classes at the same time using all 4 lanes. You could sit on whatever side you want to see your choice run and the show would be sped up by probably 30/40 %. The way it is now except for T/F & F/C the other side is basically only taking up space. It may or may not work, but trying it at a divisional or points race would give a good indication of the feasibility.
Though my intent wasn't to reduce a three day event to two, I've propsed these very ideas when he first built Charlotte. Doing it at divisionals would obviously require doubling up on rescue/safety personal and equipment.... as they do at the other 4 Wide events.
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
What is the reason that only the pro categories race 4-wide? It seems that if the allure of 4-wide racing is the uniqueness and entertainment value of this type racing format, then there is merit for racing all classes in this fashion. The 4 lanes are for this purpose, but not used? Why is that?
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyback View Post
What is the reason that only the pro categories race 4-wide? It seems that if the allure of 4-wide racing is the uniqueness and entertainment value of this type racing format, then there is merit for racing all classes in this fashion. The 4 lanes are for this purpose, but not used? Why is that?
LOL... My guess is NHRA knows few sportsman would show up! That is if they knew they'd have to run their classes 4wide anyway. Imagine trying to figure dial-in's for 4 different lanes and knowing who's doinh what on the other side of the wall!! BUT if they kept each class kept in their own dedicated pair of lanes it should work. But there must be a reason why they aren't doing it. Maybe the fact some racers run in two or more categories and it would be overly chaotic for them.
Old 01-08-2018

They had more than one 4 wide category in 1978, I don't see why they can't have it today

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1520...9/?pnref=story